Note to New Members ×

Good all-season tires?

zoltan

Seriously, if you filled in your profile so that we knew where you lived, we might be able to offer a suggestion that actually makes sense. But I'll give it a stab anyway. Nothing is going to work adequately in the snow unless it is snow rated, with the snowflake and mountain symbol. And there is an "all season" tire with that - the Nokian WR. If it is not snow rated, you're just fooling yourself if you think it will work in the snow. On the other hand, lots of people survive the winter on all seasons, I'm sure with some moments of sheer terror.

I put them on my Subaru Legacy based on a tip from a ski instructor who lives in North Lake Tahoe. They have been excellent so far this season, providing very good grip in 6 inches of snow and on black ice. They work well on wet/dry pavement, have low road noise and last around +50k miles. Check out the reviews at www.tirerack.com.

Seriously, if you filled in your profile so that we knew where you lived, we might be able to offer a suggestion that actually makes sense.

Huh, I thought I had that filled in...

I'm in Maryland with regular trips to West Virginia and an annual week long trip to Vermont.

I'm in WV and drive down from the Canaan area to Keyser everyday on 93 and 50. Probably the same roads you travel. I switch over to Dunlop Wintersport 3D's on my Subaru Legacy during the winter. Great wet and dry handling. They have been good on the little bit of snow we've had this season. I had Wintersport M2's the last 2 seasons and they were great. M2's and maybe M3's are being replaced by the 3D's. Really happy with them so far. Got them on some 16 inch steelies from www.tirerack.com

Where are you in MD? If you are in Eastern/Central MD you probably don't get much snow so I don't think I'd go to a full snow tire. I would very seriously consider some Nokian WR's. They reportedly wear very well and handle great. What car are you putting these tires on?

I have the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread on my Outback. They are the top rated all-season tire on Tire Rack. They are very responsive and the handling is great in wet, dry, and snowy conditions.

I have the same tires on my Focus, and hate them. Weird. Obviously AWD makes all the difference.

Get them siped before you mount them on the car as well. Unless you spend an inordinant amount of time on gravel roads. siping improves traction and lowers running temperatures so you get longer wear as well. basically they make thousands of tiny cuts in the tread face which increases the surface area for cooling and when the tire flexes the cuts open up slightly improving traction.

long periods on gravel roads will wear a siped tire faster though. I believe therule of thumb is if you drive more than 35% on gravel don't get them siped. It works in MT