Note to New Members ×

Mt. Hood Meadows: skier/boarder collision leads to death

Dan

before i used to wear a helmet because of the stuff i did. now, i wear a helmet because of the other people.

it's kind of like seat belts in your car (aside from it being the law). who cares how safe of a driver you are. there's a ton of other people on the road that don't know how to drive.

before i used to wear a helmet because of the stuff i did. now, i wear a helmet because of the other people.

it's kind of like seat belts in your car (aside from it being the law). who cares how safe of a driver you are. there's a ton of other people on the road that don't know how to drive.

Welcome to AGING!

What I don't understand... And please correct me if I'm wrong guys...

It's a tragedy for his family and friends and my prayers go out to them.

BUT...

It was an APPARENT collision with a snowboarder.. WTF???

There are NO KNOWN witnesses????!!!!

Whos to say the guy fell and smacked his head on something??

Sorry for being an insensitive @55 but really.....

helmets should become a bit more than optional.....IMO

Very sad to hear of incidents like this.

For many years I was a competitive sky diver and logged a little over 2000 jumps. There were very few jumpers in the country with that experience who wore automatic openers on their reserve chutes besides me. The device was intended to open your reserve if you passed through 1000 feet at a speed at least 2/3 terminal velocity. It wasn't that I doubted my ability. It was the 50 jump newbie at the back of the DC3 who was thinking "I'll get in this relative work formation if it kills me!". I lost three friends to midair collisions. None of them was wearing an automatic opener.

When I'm on the board or skis, I'm wearing a helmet. In the car, I'm belted.

And, for the record, the three times I've been hit while snowboarding, the guilty party was a skier.

Sad that some one must die on the slopes. But there is no evidence that it was an accident due to a collision between a skier and a snowboarder, it's just guessing. About helmets: I wear one since 10 years now. Last year it saved my life I think. A skier just touched the back of my board when I was going fast. I flipped over several times and landed on the back of my head first. I had a severe headache and a heavy concussion. Was waering a Dainese helmet which I throw away now. My new SWEET Trooper is on the way. Helmets are required in France and Italy. Other countries will follow soon. This is a good thing since there are more pist users and things are going a lot faster on the mountains these days.

I agree with you pal. While driving I'm ALWAYS buckled and while riding I am ALWAYS wearing a helmet. So are all my little nephews and nieces I take riding along with my 4 year old daughter. I don't want to take any chances. I feel sorry for the skier and his family from Mt. Hood. I would like to think that maybe things would have been different if had been wearing a helmet. I also feel for the guy who hit him.