Note to New Members ×

Sun Valley is prime

carvedog

Not to brag, but the conditions here in the last couple of days have turned to full, complete hero snow.

If you can make it come. If you are here get thee to the hill. This is the goods. As good as it gets. Firm, carveable cord, with generous plumes of cold smoke rising from my gloves on double handed, thirty mph lay downs.

:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

Wish you were here.

(

)

(

)

(

)

Sorry no pics, but definitely the best for me so far this year.

Art,

I am sorry. Please come visit, so we can spread a little more love :1luvu: and a little less hate. :angryfire

;)

Chris - I been looking for you. I was up early the last two days but no see??

Glad you been gettin it though.

Hi Jer! It was great up there yesterday. Laurie and I were on it early. It snowed pretty good for several hours, and the wind was howling. Real exciting and fun. Few people. The groomers should be great this morning. We're resting. Take care, Chris Leman:D

Yaahhhh, Yahhhh. Super Crummy. I saw Laurie out the other day. I am back up tomorrow am if the weather holds. Sure was looking good this am but too much to do on Mondays.

I should be able to get on the Riv Run chair by 9:15 or 9:20 at the latest.

Chris? Chris? Laurie?

See you there.

Jerry

My significant other and I spent a week in Sun Valley last March. The conditions were less than stellar. If you weren't on the snow for first tracks, the snow was used up by 10am. The one day they actually got 6 inches of snow, the locals ran inside to the lodge, which was great for us. We enjoyed pushing through that fresh pow. Otherwise we left better snow back in the UP.

The last day before we went home, we went to Brundage in McCall, ID. Brundage gets serious pow. They had waist deep pow which was great while tree riding. Not steep enough otherwise. Just figured I would add my 0.02 :)

Please stay "back in the up"

Today Jerry and I had run after run to ourselves. Not to often can you have 3000' of vertical on beautiful cord with only the two of us on the run

Chris

I am going to try and make it up first part of next week. The snow has been good over at brundage - tamarack also. Jerry where's the video that was shot last year?

Jeff,

I have a copy here at the store. I have not figured out how to edit the DVD I have, so Steve is going to let me load from his tape right into Final Cut. You can watch the copy I have but we cannot edit.

Hey Chris that was pretty awesome the other day. I am glad because Friday, after another phenomenal day, while heading to the barn I caught heelside in Lower canyon and wasted my shoulder. Maybe season ending, won't know for two weeks. :mad:

At least I went out in a blaze of glory on a stellar day. :biggthump

Carverchick,

Sorry you did not, as they say my country, find the goods. That was around the time that I was mourning the passing of another winter. After another couple of storms we had a return to full winter, supercord, carvable chalk, cold smoke hero snow.

Which is exactly how it is now. January the best time for carve Sun Valley. Yahh for sure. Which makes double paing my damn shoulder now as I write this.

Everyone - make big trench for Jerry, watch skier fall in, get rope for climbing out of trench. Oh no time for more vykoden.

Hey Jer - Sorry to hear about the Canyon Crunch to the ankle. How is it doing?

Laurie and I shoveled out some deep gullies down there for you today. Cold and clear, great conditions. They are making snow like mad, and the groomers have been buffing it out. It was really good today. Heading over to Warm Springs to watch the Ski Tour half pipe comp. Hope your injury wasn't a season ender. :smashfrea

Link to The Ski Tour web site: http://www.theskitour.com/

Perhaps it was just a bad winter last year for Sun Valley. Oh well I'm pretty sure they've seen better winters and it looks like they are having one this year. Make a couple of turns for me eh? ;) You unlike RFT didn't get a little bend out of shape because I made a statement about my experience at SV. I'm not trying to flame anyone and I didn't get offended by his comment, but I mean not everyone is going to experience great conditions every where they do.

So carvedog are you going to SES?

Perhaps it was just a bad winter last year for Sun Valley. Oh well I'm pretty sure they've seen better winters and it looks like they are having one this year. Make a couple of turns for me eh? ;) You unlike RFT didn't get a little bend out of shape because I made a statement about my experience at SV. I'm not trying to flame anyone and I didn't get offended by his comment, but I mean not everyone is going to experience great conditions every where they do.

So carvedog are you going to SES?

I was going to go for a few days, but right now ( 6 days post impact) I was able to raise my arm straight out in front of me for the first time. To the side I have 2-3 inches is all. That is better than five days ago but I may have to put myself in timeout for a while. Can you tell I have kids?

As for last year - we had a great winter all in all with near record spring run off for white water too. That is the double bonus if you are a boater.

When the mountain goes into the spring freeze thaw cycle is probably my least favorite time of winter. Sounds like that is when you hit it. There is still good carving to be had but it becomes much more selective about time and relative corn cooking temperature. So the diligent carve farmer can still find a good crop but it is not like it is now with the whole mountain full of fresh cord ready to pick.

Chris (RFT) is a good guy, and a good carver, so don't mind him. Just come back when my shoulder is healed and lets find it for you. Best in January or early Feb.

Chris - glad you and Laurie are still charging. Wasn't the ankle this time, but left shoulder. If I would get in shape maybe this wouldn't happen. Going to start rehab this week and see what I can get done this winter yet for healing.

Cuban - where you headed? Hope it is good.

Later from the one winged guy.

Well carvedog I hope you get better soon. We'll have to let you know when we come back to Idaho. I'd like to check Tamarack out and go back to Brundage for some Pow and go back to SV during their better months. I'm pretty sure the time of the season had a lot to do with the conditions. I think we went the first or second week of March.

As for SES, my boyfriend & I are planning this year and are really stoked about it. This is my first official year hardbooting and I'm looking forward to learning more. I think I've done quite well so far considering, but I also had an awesome and patient teacher (my boyfriend).

Jerry

Sorry to hear about the sholder. Best to let it heal totaly before you go at it again.

I'll miss riding with you, today the mountain was empty of people. I was on warmsprings all by myself not even the speed skiers were out.

I looked for Jeff but did not see him, Maybe he is vacationing to late into the night to make the early shift.

Chris

Jerry

Sorry to hear about the sholder. Best to let it heal totaly before you go at it again.

I'll miss riding with you, today the mountain was empty of people. I was on warmsprings all by myself not even the speed skiers were out.

I looked for Jeff but did not see him, Maybe he is vacationing to late into the night to make the early shift.

Chris

Yeah it kind of sucks. At least I had a few rippin, and I do mean rippin days before going TU. Start PT today, while good it always hurts the first few times. So I have some Crown and a Vykoden waiting for me at home when done.

Keep ripping it for me, it has to be just freakin beauty right now.

Carverchick - thanks for the healing thoughts. Havn't ridden Tamarack, Brundage is awesome for powder and gentle cruising. I want to take my wife there as she is an intermediate telemarketer and would love it. And do come back and visit. This place is like no other for carving when the mountain is remotely "on". And still we get no respect. I have been to lots of other places ( nothing in Cali - too many people) and have yet to find a place to match this for quality of carving, grooming, etc. annndddd - no people.

Hey Carvedog,

I hope we have the opportunity to come back to Idaho and do some riding. It would be nice to meet up with some fellow hardbooter and leave trenches for small kids to fall in :) You are right about Brundage, it's awesome for pow and cruising which we did both while we were there. Just don't fall in waist deep pow, we had to toboggan our snowboards down the slopes....LOL

I'm going to meet up with my significant other in Tahoe this Friday for an extended weekend trip, hopefully they have some snow to ride on :) I'm just dying to ride!

Welcome. Sorry I won't be able to go out by then unless this busted up shoulder miraculously heals.

Please feel free to call

208-726-3834

That is my work number you can call anytime during the day. Love to give you some beta or maybe you can hook up with Chris or Chris and Laurie or John or.....

Everyone belongs here if you are carving. But don't wear one of those Bear head hats or chicken head hats. Those things freak me out. :biggthump

Hi Buster, I'll look for you guys on Sunday (I have to work the other days you're in town). My wife Laurie and I are usually up there early on the weekends. I'll be in hardboots with a popcorn bucket on my head (not really, just a light blue helmet - the popcorn bucket got soggy, so I had to get rid of it). Chris :lurk: