Note to New Members ×

Prescription Goggles?

mirror70

Request a catalog from

www.hidalgos.com

I almost could use a pair, maybe next season. This year is my first year experimenting with contacts. Have been riding without lately as they are a bit of a pain.

www.bdel.com/gear/backcountry/goggles.php

Pricey!

O.T.G.'s look more afordable.

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/brikotggog.html

Guest utahsnowrider

I would try contacts first before looking into other prescription eye wears. I could not get my left eye to keep the contact in. It worked very well on my right eye. Gave contacts up after a few weeks because my left eye was rejecting the contact. So I had to go back to eye wears. I have a few goggles, sunglasses, and glasses that I use for different activities.

IMO, I have never been fond of built-in RX goggles. I prefer OTG goggles for different reasons. Oakley now makes prescription glasses for general use and sports use. I have a sturdy Oakley T-wire that I use on a daily basis. I also use it for mountain biking and snowboarding. The first OTG goggles I got was a Smith OTG goggles. It had an air flow regulator that never seemed to work. I took it back and got a Oakley OTG goggle that cost much less than the Smith goggles. It worked much better than the Smith OTG goggles, even though it fogs up a little. The first reason why i like OTG goggles than built-in RX goggles is because I could take off my goggles and retain my eyeglasses when I am lounging in lodges or using the bathroom. Secondly, your prescription will change every 1 to 2 years. All I have to change is my glasses and keep my OTG goggles to go over my new RX glasses. OTG goggles are designed to fit comfortably over your glasses. Both Smith OTG and Oakely OTG goggles fits perfectly over two different eyeglasses that I have.

One possible drawback for OTG goggles could be the tendency to fog up. I am not sure if this is due to having glasses behind the OTG goggles or if it is the goggles itself. The Smith OTG goggles kept fogging up easily. The Oakley OTG goggles worked much better than the Smith OTG goggles, but it still fogs up. I sweat easily and I always have steam coming out of my head when I am riding hard. I wear my helmet all the time and I think it is channeling/emitting the heat through through my face/forehead/eyes. I am contemplating getting a well ventilated helmet and see if it would abate the fogging up. Any opinion on this? I tried fog wax on my glasses and goggles and it only did a little to help with the fogging. Does anyone have any idea why my OTG goggles still fog up? Or if there are better OTG goggles out there? Any opinion on the Briko OTG goggles? I was glad to learn that Briko was making OTG goggles.

Hope this helps us 4-eyed carvers!

Reid

Originally posted by utahsnowrider

Oakley now makes prescription glasses for general use and sports use.

The frames are great but the Oakley lenses are very expensive. I have some e-wire 2.1s that I love but the lenses were done by the local lab, much cheaper. However bear in mind that unless you have a mild prescription, the e-wires are about as radical a wrap as you can go. I prefer a wrap style for riding, I use the e-wires for driving and generally lookeeng goooood.

Secondly, your prescription will change every 1 to 2 years.

Not necessarily. Mine hasn't changed significantly in 20 years.

Does anyone have any idea why my OTG goggles still fog up?

Nope, but when I wore them they fogged like crazy too. Also when you wipe out, you get the fun of cleaning not only the goggles but the glasses underneath. I wear contacts and usually prefer shades (Oakley Eye Jackets) unless it's snowing or cold. The nice thing about non-prescription shades is that they are so light, they tend to stay on your head unless you fall super-hard. Whereas prescription ones have enough mass that they will go flying with less provocation.

Contacts are not a viable option for me. Because of the work that I do, I can't always guarantee that my fingers are free of substances which I don't want in my eyes. That means I'd regularly be switching between glasses and contacts, which defeats the purpose of using only one method of vision correction - simplicity.

Originally posted by mirror70

Contacts are not a viable option for me. Because of the work that I do, I can't always guarantee that my fingers are free of substances which I don't want in my eyes. That means I'd regularly be switching between glasses and contacts, which defeats the purpose of using only one method of vision correction - simplicity.

You can't ever throw away your glasses with contacts. You can't wear contacts all day and all night (at least, I can't). My job involves staring at computer screens all day in an air-conditioned office, and I find contacts really suck for that kind of work. So I just wear contacts for snowboarding and other sports. The rest of the time I wear glasses.

Guest AllMountain

fogged goggles are both miserable and dangerous.

to minimize fogging, minimize the moisture in the system. here are 2 things that have worked for me:

1) put your goggles on before you go outside, and NEVER take them off outside for any reason. this will prevent falling or blowing snow or drizzle from getting in. this has made a big difference for me.

2) try the smith "turbo c.a.m." goggles, with a built-in fan. i've used these for a few days so far, and they're fantastic. they do seem a little flimsy, so i worry they may not hold up to much abuse. anyway, i'm loving them at the moment.

i do think ventilating your helmet or taking other measures to minimize perspiration would also help, athough i can't cite any specific techniques...

Originally posted by AllMountain

1) put your goggles on before you go outside, and NEVER take them off outside for any reason. this will prevent falling or blowing snow or drizzle from getting in. this has made a big difference for me.

That's a good point, but for the unavoidable case where you have to take them off - many of the newer goggles have a clasp so that you can just undo the clasp and take them off without sliding them over your head. This is a big help, because your tuque or helmet often has snow on it, when you slide the goggles over you get snow in there. If you look here you'll see what I mean.