Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill Carving Cup Recap

Speedzilla

Thanks to everyone that showed up yesterday despite the crap weather. Even with the nasty conditions, I think most people still had fun.

There are a few things that I will suggest for next year, and I can pass on your constructive criticism as well.

My ideas/suggestions for next year:

• Longer start wand (no explanation needed here)

• More turns. Assuming the conditions are better next year, I'd like to see 1 or 2 more turns on the course. Too much traversing on yesterdays course. According to the FIS rules, you can have less than three bouys per turn.

• I have mixed feelings on the condensed format. I liked last year where you had two runs per round. Maybe narrow it down to the top three, than give the top 3 one last final run to decide the finishing order.

• The prize give-a-way was not organized or handled fairly this year. BobD's Daughter got jipped. Maybe next year, the winners of each class should get a nice prize from one of the sponsors, and all the other swag can be door prizes.

I did like that the course was different this year and required a different strategy than last year. Last years winning run didn't work this year.

Overall, I thought everything went well, and I'm already looking forward to next year.

....in snowboarding, the girls were mixed in with the guys....kinda tough if you ask me. Was this the case with the ski groups?

I do not think that the one run format (round 2 & 3) would have been necessary if we just started earlier.

But....still a great opportunity and lots of fun. We are appreciative for the opportunity. Same time next year would be perfect. Maybe even another race this year???

Dave: Thanks for the recap, I agree with you on all points -

would also be in favor of starting earlier & for riders having

two runs through the elimination rounds.

My biggest concern was the initial course

conditions and the gnarly/bumpy "left-overs" .. but luckily

it did wear down enough to be considered a "feature"

instead of a "hazzard." :) Good times, despite the fog/mist.

I'm again surprised that boarders way-outnumbered the skiers.

Glad to see an increase in numbers though, and look forward to the next one.

Matt: Thanks for posting photos! Glad you got some shots before

the rain set in.

Kenton: Good to see ya again. Hey-Try to stay "Injury free" for these next few days before the MES, okay? Maybe stay away from power tools for a while too.

~Karl

I'm again surprised that boarders way-outnumbered the skiers.

Glad to see an increase in numbers though, and look forward to the next one.

i'm not surprised that boarders outnumbered skiiers. almost every run there were gates or courses set up by ski racers. i don't know why there were so many. i was kinda surprised they were setting up poles close to the carve cup run. from the chair it looked a little too close.

Kenton: Good to see ya again. Hey-Try to stay "Injury free" for these next few days before the MES, okay? Maybe stay away from power tools for a while too.

~Karl

Not possible on staying "injury free". I am sitting on the couch with an air cast on my left leg. Ollied over a "whoop" today like we experienced during the carving cup, landed in some soft snow, folded the nose, flipped and had immediate pain. X-ray showed no fracture but a stress fracture might not show yet. Will know on Friday better what is going on but right now I am on crutches and can't put any weight on my leg. What a crap season. Anyway, it was fun to ride with everyone........see you next year I guess. :(

Not possible on staying "injury free". I am sitting on the couch with an air cast on my left leg. Ollied over a "whoop" today like we experienced during the carving cup, landed in some soft snow, folded the nose, flipped and had immediate pain. X-ray showed no fracture but a stress fracture might not show yet. Will know on Friday better what is going on but right now I am on crutches and can't put any weight on my leg. What a crap season. Anyway, it was fun to ride with everyone........see you next year I guess. :(

oooh, that sucks. at least no surgery is required, right?

i'm hoping to stay away from the disabled list.

hey, remember this day? see attached...

post-1112-141842223745_thumb.jpg

hey, remember this day? see attached...

At first glance it would appear that welch is making snow..........but on further investigation it is me spreading the snow out. No surgery is required for the leg, just Jerry Springer re-runs and vicodin.