Note to New Members ×

Stripped Screw head....

Mellow Yellow

We all have out D'oh moments...and I had one last night...

Stupid me....I thought to myself... ahh I don't need to buy more bolts/screws until the end of the season...well...now I've gone and done it. I stripped the head of a mounting screw on my pair of cateks...so now I can't get the binding plate off the board. Has anyone had experience taking a problem like this to a local ski shop, I'm assuming they drill out the stripped screw...right?

I don't have much in the way of tools...is there an alternative...something I could purchase at a hardware store to do the job?

Thanks,

Jasen

Guest g1ngerrevolution

Is it deeply recessed? If not you can just attack the top with a hack-saw (single vertical cut) which you can then fit a straight edged screwdriver in.

If it is (recessed) you could probably do the same with a dremmel, or similar.

Good luck :(

"GraBit"

http://www.screwremover.com

I did the exact same thing, stripped screw removing my Cateks from my new Coiler. After waiting 8 months for the Coiler I didn't want to use any power tools and risk ruining an insert.

This is essentially a bit with a cone-shape, left handed thread. You can use it in a power drill or use a 6 mm socket wrench, which is what I did. It cost $20 at a local hardware store, but it was the only thing they had with a hex shaft as opposed to just a reverse drill bit with a round shaft... I really wanted to use a hand socket and not a power tool.

You might be able to find a reverse threaded screw at a hardware store, then drill a hole in the stipped screw and then begin screwing the reverse thread in which would inturn loosen the stripped bolt. I've seen it done before but I'm not sure how easy it would be to find the reverse treaded bolt. Good luck.

Mellow Yellow,

Try this: if it is only one screw still in the disk that is stripped, just try to turn the entire disc counter clockwise around the stripped screw.

You may have to "convince" it to do this by tapping it with a hammer and a block of wood (won't mar the binding). I have found in the past you only need to go about 1/8th of a turn and that screw is now loose enough to just turn out by hand.

As Jack mentioned, get an EX-out. I have a few of them, differing sizes. Most hardware stores such as Home Depot should have them, just ask someone who works near the drill bits. They are usually near the tap sets. Some of them come in a set, with a the "correct" size drill bit.

Any decent bike shop would have them also, and could remove the bolt for you also, or a machine shop.