Note to New Members ×

I never thought 2 ft. of fresh....

Galen

.....could kinda suck, but it did. :freak3: Wet, heavy, deep. First tracks on Flying Dutchman involved a couple short DOWNHILL, hip deep slogs, even straight lining my 4807. Northwest, Summit, was closed. Outback too, though I think they opened it after we left around noon. It was a bit comical to go up the Rainbow and see dozens of skiers and snowboarders completely stuck all over the hill. :lol: A Cream O' Wheat day for sure. :p

Yep, it happens especially here in the Pacific NorthWet ;-)

I decided to work today and take Friday off instead (today is a company holiday for me) 'cause I saw the just-below-freezing temps and large amount of snow and figured the gaper density might be out of control (although the Bachelor cams would lead me to believe it didn't get horribly crowded)

I should be at Sunrise bright and early Friday AM if you're still around.

Yeah, I've been in plenty of NW slop, just never this deep. Had a couple days of 6" wet this trip and it was actually fun. This stuff was not. Might have been better over on the Northwest (steeper), but it was closed. Crowds were low, but there was a lot of cars headed up when we went down at noon. Mike, fridays our last day, 8:30 is our normal arrival time, kids Playstation to the wee hours. :smashfrea Hope we run into each other, figuratively speaking. :)

Galen, glad to hear the crowds were low, have a great time!

Did you get to ride a "Black Beauty" ???

Sounds like the youngungs were diggin it?

haven't got a chance, rotten brats! :lol: Both have said it's the best time they have ever had snowboarding. I'll get on one after this vacation, I've got loads of time off thru april. I'm haveing an awesome time on the new Donek FC, so it's all good. It's been another great vacation with the family :biggthump

good for grooming though, no?

We'll see tommorow, there was NO grooming done last night or in the AM. I heard that early in the morning there were a number of people just taking off there boards/ski's and walking down Carnival, before it got packed down. Ewwww!

Bachelor got caught with their pants down this time. They probably had a skeleton grooming crew on on Christmas night, trying to give their employees some time w/ the families, little did they know they were getting 18". The forecast was for more like 8".

On days when the Sunrise/Rainbow area looks ungroomed and the snow is heavy, get thee to the Pine Marten / Red / Outback area. The website said that NW was closed ude to avalanche danger... hardly suprising with so much new heavy snow.

Bryan is right though, that heavy snow will be great for base-building. We're supposed to get some lighter stuff tomorrow and NW should be in good shape as in, able to get to the far west bowls without killing your base and edges.

Headed home! Never seen Bachelor sooooo crowded. Catch ya on the rebound mike! :biggthump You may want to reconsider tommorow.

I had a hard time making a left out of my neightborhood to get to work this AM! (Right turn goes to the mountain). I'll get there for 1st chair and try to hide out. Rainbow and Red should be OK if nothing else, it'll be 2nd day since snow so there should be enough grooming. Methinks the Madd 158 will be the deck of choice!

We were headed down a little after 9. Solid line of cars still headed up, Sunrise parking lot was full, probably west village by then too. We've been taking xmas break down there for 3 seasons and it always crowds up 1-2 days after xmas day. Probably leave the day after xmas from now on. Have fun tomorrow, I'll pray for you. :lol:

By noon it was getting pretty "Stupid Busy" at MHM also. All the stars aligned.

Scary wind Wed, Christmas crowds, fresh snow and SUNSHINE. There was stop and go traffic two lanes wind for several miles between Rhody and Zig Zag.

All parking lots full and cars parked on the access road all the way to hwy 35!!

Lucky to get out alive!! Photos to follow on FLC

Crowds weren't as bad today, as long as you don't mind riding in the trees. PM, Sunrise and Skyliner had awful lines but Rainbow, Red, NW and Outback were all moving pretty well and as long as you weren't out to carve you had plenty of room.

Did get some early morning carving on the Madd 158. I really can't wait to try it out on firmer snow... really need top keep the weight far forward on that deck, which makes for interesting times on soft groom which was everywhere this AM.

My bindings are set up with the front as far forward as they can go, back is 19" or so behind it. Pretty much the same as I had set up the 170 when I had it, Madds are the only board I have ridden where I don't center upon the inserts.

The 158 is clearly optimized for hardpack and ice. Just a little more challenging to ride in soft hero groom (or should I say, softer-than-hero groom) It should form up by New Years, I'll take it out then.