Note to New Members ×

Shin bang...TO THE X-TREME!!!

Gleb

Everybody got one.

If someone wants to take the time to offer ANY opinion, long or short, right or wrong, its up to the reader to weed through it and decide for themselves.

Any idiot knows you take personal opinions with a grain of salt AND MOVE ON.

I'm getting pretty embarrassed for some of you losers. CONSTANTLY whining, needing to get the last word in...grow up bitches or better yet, get lost and post it on Rants and Raves. This thread started great, ( it even had gore pics !) but it's turned into a Raging PMS sewing circle.

BTW, If a few bad reviews of your product on a message board puts you out of business, then your product sucked anyway.

post-182-141842223145_thumb.gif

post-182-141842223146_thumb.jpg

post-182-141842223147_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NateW-Foam sounds like it would work if i had to go back to my stock liners. The Thermoflex have alot of volume right now and more foam wouldnt be neccessary, I hope.

Blackbird-my socks go to my knees as well. They are mostly nylon and I didn't realize how abbrasive they really are.

kipstar-im using the newskin stuff like its going out of style. The shin is starting to heal and it looks like scarring is inevitable.

philw-no swelling that i know of but good idea.

Crosbie-hopefully you'll have better luck with yours. Odds are, you'll be fine. Just look through all the advice peoeple gave here.

Ursle-I'm doing a combo of both now. Bob Dea is working on dialing me in, but the conditions havent been favorable enough to actually carve without smashing your nose on the ice.

Dano-its your idea and the first one on the list for the party. I'm thinking...plain ol' wonderbread will do fine. Hopefully the eggs don't hatch in there during the party though. I'm so not ready to give birth.

I loved my winds too, but they were too small for me.

Willy-The A1 would work great but i think its going to be a little dry. I defintly over cooked it. I'm working the forward lean out with my new liner.

Bobby buggs-hope you and no one really has to experience something like this. Its my fault for ignoring the pain. I still think its worth it because I wouldn't have gotten a thermoflex until much later on if it wasnt for this.

Neuffy-i don't think the bulking up will help since my shin will still remain thin no matter what. On my Burton Winds, i liked using my ankles in combination with my shins, so there wasn't too much pressure on the shin. Having a hard time doing that with my curent set up but i'll figure it out soon.

Gleb - you rode for 11 hours? I ride for five and I'm bagged. Your girlfriends must be very lucky girls. :D

Its true, but you also gotta consider that the longest run at the mountain i was at is only 1000 ft vertical which leads to a max of a 2 minute run and a 5 minute ride up. I was able to maintain my quads by inline skating all summer long as well as having to walk up an enormous hill a few times a day to go to and from class. Also, wrestling helped build up the stamina in high school. Dating a wrestler has its advantages :biggthump

Serious-I know what you mean now, but also pretty hesitant to cut my boot. If all else fails, that what i'll go for.

I got my liners molded to me by mike at the wachusett shop. Can't wait for the liners to pack out a bit so I can be in total comfort. My shin felt great because of all the volume the t-flex liner has in general. With all that extra volume, it was kind of weird to feel so restricted but I was able to apply more force to the edges, especially the heelside. The conditons were pretty aweful to actually completly test the liners out, but so far I'm happy. I'm going to change my sock to something less abrasive.

As always, the community which i've grown to love over this short year has come through with all the help I could handle. You guys and gals are great.

As far as the argument goes...I think everyone has valid points. I don't have much experience with boots at all, but these boots do require some work, at least for me.

I have noticed that the middle buckle sometimes collided with the one above it when flexed enough, but I havent had the chance to push my boots hard enough for that to be a problem. The full plastic toe is a problem but I got cat tracks to help with that.

Most problems with the boot is fixable, but if I didn't have the asistance from many of you (bschurman, BobDea, as well as many others), I would have never been able to figure it out quite right.

My favorite thing about the boots is that I can change them into my ski boots while I'm on a lunch break. That is the main reason I got the boots because I like a little diversity in my day.

Also, I have a wide foot and these boots are perfect for just that. I'm pretty nuetral on whether I'd reccomend these boots to others who have the same know-how as I do. As in phil's case and I'm sure for many, many others, the boots works right out of the box perfectly. Once I get used to the stiffness and pack out the thermoflex a little but, I think this boot will kick some serious ass.

This is such a great thread!:biggthump

boots that make your riding a painful experience. :mad: sweet !

Dano had been battling boots with several heel blisters that were gnarly and painful. He came over yesterday with some fresh burton winds that look legit.

Nordica SBH's are good backup boots,too.I've been a big fan of softer looser boots(SBH race) and a softer surfy board (PureCarve 175) and flat Burton race plates. Gonna step up and ride the TD1's (3*front, 6* back) on the new Coiler 176(stiffy) and some stiff Burton Reactors. The Uncle Sam boots are the shizz, no matter how much they hurt. :D

willywhit, before you ride on those reactors allot check out the cuff alingment mechanism, I used to bend those constantly until they changed them in the fire and wind

Just be prepared for it and get a good idea of what you'd need to pop in there to hold it together, I doubt burton still has parts for them however when they did they sent me a bag of 20 of them that I sold with the boots when I got rid of them. I know other people got burton to do the same thing so the parts actually might be still floating around.

they're not even broken in. Cuff alignment is what exactly ? Just make sure the tongue sits inside and isn't hung up , sits flat. I noticed dano's winds didn't have the power strap on top but they're slotted in back to put one in. I've only run the big reactors on the Burner 197 with Td1's. Really stiff setup but great to go like hell on the Burner when conditions / lack of people permit.

btw, I got those reactors from ski market when they warranteed some broken SBH's and gave me a store credit, like 4 years ago.

it's the spot on ther ankle of the boot that you can put a torx in or a allen wrench I forgot what one you need for those.

what happens is that on the inside of the boot it kind of has a little track it rides in and you can bend the track easily

it's a pain in the ass

The cuff adjustment is the height position of the Burton shells' ankle pivot points that the top ( cuff ) of the boot hinges forward and back on. ( There is no cuff adjustment on our beloved Nordica sbh's... which by the way are comfy enough to wear around the house.) One side of the shell has a rigid pivot pin in a hole, but the other side has an allen head in a slot, that when loosened, you can raise or lower the pivot point up or down a few notches, so you can tweak the entire cuff to lean left or right. Helpful for tweaking your "neutral" boot position...kind of a shell cant.

I think what our buddy Battle-Bot Bob is talking about also happened to me on my old reactors.

What happened was the allen loosened by itself enough for it to randomly click from posiition to position by itself under loads. It feels like the boot is busted...If you leave it like this it will wear out the plastic and never tighten right again.

I tried to tighten it, but the cheesy allen stripped right out. So I had to drill a small shallow hole on both sides of the stripped allen hole and tighten it with a big flat screwdriver. It saved my boots life. I bet Bob just got all new pivot hardware instead from soul-less burton.

I've seen rebuild kits for raichles pivots as well...theirs does the same thing with 3 times as many parts.

Geez, Blab much?

• 2 weeks later...

I got my booster straps in the mail this past weekend. I'm psyced to try them out. Thanks for the nice message fin:biggthump My shin is almost all healed up now, no thanks to me working waaaay too much due to the lack of snow. Just no hair in like a square inch of skin.

Just came back from a week of riding

(http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=13698)

and I had the same problem: on my shin I had a little bit of blood too with a lot of bone-pain (with UPZ boots).

They are very stiff (the black and red ones) and it seems to me that they are less tall (on the shin) than Burton Fire I had. This lead to push the shin in the exact middle (where the leverage is the maximum).

Furthermore, with cold the plastic become a tytanium block... so...

But... i have to admit that I had the wrong setup: after a couple of days of test, I found the right setup and the riding became very comfortable.

So... I think that the most important issue could be the setup: if your setup force you to push the board in a certain way (and just that one), you could feel a lot of pain. Maybe for a too wide stance, maybe for presence or absence of lift/cant... etcetera...

My advice would be to check the setup before blame on the boots...

:-)

you're probably right, that it does have something to do with my technique. I've tried giving more cant on the heel and a few other things, but nothing seemed to work. The thermoflex liner helped out and tonight, i'll get to try out the booster strap to see if it could add even more comfort.

I was showing my friend your other thread a little while ago. We were so jealous. thanks for the advice and keep on carving!

you're probably right, that it does have something to do with my technique.

Really.... try to narrow your stance...

Furthermore, I noticed that the tongue of my back upz sometimes was positioning itself in a bad way. Also that leaded me to pain! I noticed it just after a day of riding...

So... many issue to take care ok, but... when everything works fine... what a pleasure!!!

Upz boots are the only one I can carve on a single foot with! So stiff but... so in control! :-)

I'll give narrowing my stance a shot. Do you mean making angles more extreme (over 60 degrees) or moving my feet closer together?

I reduced the angle (60/53) and reduce the stance.

Carve with one foot?!

Yes... it's a good exercise to practice while you have just the front foot locked... I'm trying it and with upz (due to the fact that you have just one foot making pressure on the whole board) I can do it (ovioulsy, at low speed).

It's important to balance with the back foot in every carve (the back foot moves over the board being always on the side of the carve while the front foot drive the carve).

Low speed!

I saw this done even at high speed (my instructor)... amazing...

Just no hair in like a square inch of skin.

Shave your shins up to the top of your boot cuff and try some ski socks. if I don't shave my shins my hair just gets ripped out and chaffes my skin off. not as bad as you did though! and don't tuck your longjohns into your boot. My shins are pretty picky about what socks I wear. I've forgotten my socks before and gone barefoot.

keep some moleskin handy for tender spots

easing into the season can toughen up your shins too. I hope that 11hr day wasn't a season opener.

I used my Madd with angles in the low 40s the other day my feet havent felt more comfortable in years. I took out the insoles I got to mold into my boot and it felt great.

As for shaving my shins, no need. My shin is almost healed and actually no hair in sight. Rest of my foot seems fine. The 11 hour day was maybe my second day which is good. It forced me to think about my liners early on so the rest of the season will be in total comfort. My thermo liners are finally starting to feel more comfortable than sneakers.

The booster straps worked wonders! Highly recommend them for anyone, even if you don't experience shin bang. When I cranked them up, it really let me drive the board into the ice.