Note to New Members ×

Outward canting

Bobby Buggs

I'll have to measure it for you. I have narrowed it up since I started riding the skwal some. I also find a higher cant in the front to be more comfortable. I am currently trying out a 6 in front and three in back combo. I cant find stiff enough boots to be bent kneed on the tongue all day so I am going for a more upright stance and its much more relaxed so far. the 6 degree in front brings the forward lean on the front boot almost straight up and down. and likewise the lower cant in the back. I guess maybe being big makes this easier I can always compress the boot. I will let you know how it goes. I will continue to experiment noarrower and narrower as well as lower cant in the back until it feels the best. I suppose it varies with the flex pattern of the board as well. I am no math and physics whiz like some on the site so I just go with what feels the best.:biggthump

so you ARE talking about rotating the TD2 cant 2 degrees laterally towards the outside edge? I guess that is what you mean. I haven't got that far with my experimenting yet. mine are set up front to back so far.

I think the confusing part about this topic is the lack of consistent understandable jargon. maybe I missed a page or a post but it seems like one of the more gifted mathmatics whizzes around here could come up with a simple cartesian system or something to describe all the possibilities of cant and lift simply and easily:eek:

I had the same problem for awhile, but someone laid it out pretty plainly:

Toe/heel lift is the difference between the angle of the board's surface and the angle of the sole of your foot. It's measured along the long axis of your foot.

Cant is just whatever angle change happens perpendicular to that. "Outward cant," as far as I can tell, is towards the buckles of your boots.

Buggs - give it a shot, start with small changes, like half a degree. I personally use outward cant on my back foot and I love it.

tryin to picture TD2 disc positions for outward cant, and....can't.

For example, if your binding angle is 60, setting the cant disc at 60 gives you zero cant and all lift. Setting the cant disc higher (65 and up, in 5 degree increments) produces a blend of lift and inward cant. Setting the cant disc lower (55 and down) produces a blend of lift and outward cant. You can play around and get very significant changes in cant while getting insignificant changes in lift. See the cant/lift matrix here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/JackM/td2matrix.xls

ok...say my back foot was at 65. Isnt there a range where all youre really doing is tilting toward the toe edge?

Depends on whether you've got the 3 or 6 degree disc, and what you consider an insignificant change in lift.

On a 3 degree disc, you can achieve up to a 0.78 degree change in cant in either direction (significant!) while affecting only a 0.1 degree change in lift (insignificant!).

if I had the plate at 55, with binding angle at 65...wouldnt...

That would give you 0.52 degrees of outward cant and 2.95 degrees of lift, on a 3 degree disc.

I was considering using the outward cant on the TD2's as a means of seperating the knees as that's been a big discussion here. Hadn't thought of doing the front though.

What do you guys think of adjusting the bindings to allow for easier knee seperation? The way I have it now I feel like the bindings are forcing my knees together (probably along with my bad habit from the asym days) and thought using the cant disk to "fight" the tendency would be a good thing.

Carp, good question. The whole idea of binding alignment is to find a setting that is "neutral" for your body. This provides maximum range of motion. Your bindings should not be forcing your knees together or apart. So I'd recommend you start with zero cant and just heel lift on the back foot and toe lift on the front foot as a benchmark, and experiment from there.

I believe I have zero degree cant on the front binding and 3 degree on the back. I was thinking of turning the rear cant so I have more lift on the inside of my foot (toward the nose as I ride regular). Does that sound right or should I switch the disks and provide more lift on my front toe?

I think I understand the question - you're asking if you should turn the cant disc on your rear foot to provide some outward cant, yes? Sure, try it. Then try toe lift on your front foot. If you like both, you're gonna need another 3 degree disc. I assume we're talking about TD2s?

Damn that's a great little Flash thingie!

Carp, I've just stepped up to a bigger alpine board with TD2s (from some older FPs with Burton plates), and while I won't be able to ride it until next week I've done exactly what you're suggesting. On the front foot I've got something less than a 3˚ lift and a slight outward cant (ie. towards the heel side) and on my rear foot I've got a 3˚ lift and a decent outward cant.

I'm hoping that will let me get a little more power by keeping my knees apart...or at least, making me keep them apart....:biggthump

greg

Isn't canting the angle at which a rider's feet are pointed either duck toed or pigeon toed? That's how Honeycomb's Dictionary defined it anyway :smashfrea .

Any way, I use a slight outward cant on my front foot, because I noticed I was getting some major pressure on the outside of my front leg, a wee bit of outward cant made it all better.

I have no problems keeping my knees apart, but that flash thing made me think:

Along with my BTS, I'll be getting another cant plate.

I'm currently flat, both feet. Right now, my downward flexibility is limited by my rear ankle. I'm thinking my rear ankle could use a bit of canting and heel lift.

Should I get the 3 degree or the six? I'm leaning toward the six, because 4.25 degrees lift and cant seems alright. Am I right?

I'm almost thinking I might as well just pick up a second board kit. Get a 3, a 6, and the soft e-rings (I've got the med-purples now).

On the boots note, I'm in Suzukas.

The flexibility of my ankle actually isn't limited by the boot. For the rear foot, at least, it's the ankle. I naturally have quite limited joints (my fingers bend <15 degrees backward) despite stretching.

I'm thinking heel lift on the rear foot should help this.