Note to New Members ×

Landing Jumps

DiveBomber

Guest nwbchardbooter

you know, i'm no airpuppy (at least on my board) but someone told me once to land flat but think about weighting the front foot more on landing. it really does seem to work. i struggled for years with this, very frustrating as i actually can air it out pretty big on skis. anyway give it a try, having the weight on the front foot for a split second gets you ready for the next turn, god knows riding a flat board in hard boots for too long is suicide.

Pay real close attention to your weight distribution right at take-off. Ideally you want to be either totally centered with the base flat. It also works to take off from an edge (it's practically mandatory for spins over 180) but it complicates things a little.

Also, any movement in your body at the moment of takeoff is just going to get amplified while you're airborne, so be totally composed at the bottom of the jump and hold still 'til you leave the lip. You can of course boost with your legs or aborb some of the jump (you'll want to work on the latter for BX as you lose less speed that way) but again that complicates things a bit. Until you get your landings consistent it would probably help to work on just staying motionless as you leave the lip.

Whoa whoa, landing on edge is a very bad thing, especially with bigger jumps. You will most likely end up smacking your face or ass really hard. Land with a flat base and ride out the landing as much as possible, only turning when you have full control again.

exactly. watch any SBX race (or some of the old PGS with a drop in the middle) - riders always land flat-based. too much potential for disaster in landing on edge

exactly. watch any SBX race (or some of the old PGS with a drop in the middle) - riders always land flat-based. too much potential for disaster in landing on edge

From an Air junky...

Jump with your weight balanced... Easy part...

With the landing... spot a feature in the distance for example say 300ft away..anything..tree, skiers, flag... anything

...Reason?? To keep your head up, don't look down... and try to relax... keep your knees bent.

I had this problem years ago when I started jumping stuff... Kept moving my head spotting the landing... only landing 4-5 out of 10 jumps the others were sketchy as... most ended up falling off the back seat and the others over the bars...

The trick is keeping your head/eyes from looking down... When you start stomping your landings you'll see what I mean.

I am far from an expert on jumps, so please take this advice knowing that and experts, feel free to correct me... but here's what has worked well for me. I rarely do anything but a straight air with a grab - what I have to say does not apply if you're going to rotate.

-As Blackbird says, keep your head up and eyes front, looking down the trail from where you're going to land.

-Once you get in the air, move your upper body as little as possible. Not doing a grab? Just suck your legs up underneath your body. Want to do an Indy grab? drop your hand between your knees and bring the board to the hand. Do not reach for the board - bring the board to the hand. Trying a method? I've done a few in my time but anything I have to say on them is surely wrong!

-Keep your legs sucked up as long as you can. This aids in gentle landings.

I find the Indy grab (back hand grabs board between knees) to be very helpful in achieving a good landing and also very helpful in terms of staying relaxed in the air. Bringing my knees up high enough to get the grab without reaching puts me in a great landing position and holding the grab as long as I can keeps me from extending my legs too soon. Even if I don't get the grab the attempt to do so has been very beneficial to me.

I like to take a few runs through the park now and again... usually on plates... I find if I can land the medium length (20') tables in the park then I can handle what I encounter off-piste. Mother Nature is often better at shaping jumps than the park crew at Bachelor (and MHM and Timberline) :rolleyes: