Note to New Members ×

helmets

Aisling

Just any bucket. I use sometimes metal bucket and put some soft material as a liner. It needs to be cut out for googles, but if you do not need them then you can drill just two holes to see through.

The only problem with that solution was that handle swings so and forth and it is not comfortable.

And don't ask me of shape of my head at ECES.

After agreeing with all the usual stuff about making sure it fits, and with goggles, etc. I am backing ovo titan. It's made with aluminum, some hard plastic composite type stuff, and is capped of with a carbon fiber dome, very sexy.

I bought it this year online because they said it was made for the American head which is more egg-shaped than round. Because these helmets span a few sizes they include fitting pads to get it perfect. It fit right out of the box. I just followed their sizing instructions on the website and boom-shockalocka-im-thu-numberone-chief-rocka. (note to self no more vicodin, OT: I broke two of my metacarpal bones in a 4-flip wreck, surgery was fun, wish I had pix of the event, right in front of the chairlift, but I digress)

Anywho haven't seen a helmet I like for looks as much yet, oh their retro bomber is cool too.

http://www.ovousa.com/

the GIRO FUSE is the most comfortable helmet i've used in the last couple of years. i've also skulled on it in a race course and it saved my head. i'd highly suggest at least trying it on... plus you can slide ear phones into the soft ears of the helmet- an added bonus for getting aggro on the stick.

Ais, I saw a Giro (Hero) helmet at TJ Macks for $35 bucks the other night. Black, Large and stealthy looking. They're selling Leedom at Marshall's for short money too. The best part about wearing a brainbucket is when the paranoid knucklehead pulls the bar down just as your feet leave the snow it won't piss you off as much when it clips the back of your noggin. I just laugh and shake my head instead of giving the stink eye to the yurt in rental skiis. You might want to look into a kevlar breast plate as well to protect "the girls" in case you catch that inside edge. :p come to wachoo next wed---$15 bucks!

Originally posted by willywhit

The best part about wearing a brainbucket is when the paranoid knucklehead pulls the bar down just as your feet leave the snow it won't piss you off as much when it clips the back of your noggin.

The flip side of that is that the bar hits you on the head more often because your head is that much bigger (at least for us tall guys it's a problem).

Aisling, I agree - find something that fits. I'm in a Giro Ravine, which I really like but mainly it was the only helmet big enough for my XXL cranium.

Originally posted by Aisling

do you also have a bowl haircut?;)

This is question to me?

No, that was when I wore bowl for raining days.

I had to go bald to improve aerodynamics for racing. But I bet that for bucket, the best would be long hair and perhaps braided hair. Then you could get rid of liner. Ever seen movie: "Cool Runnings" about Jamaican Olympic bobsled team? Remeber Sanka?

Giro Nine.9 It has saved me twice. It is a single impact helmet, but it works! removable earflaps, vents and vent plugs, lightweight and stylie if I do say so myself...

another similar helmet, but in a multiimpact model is the Marker M3. Vent plugs will be standard next year, but will retrofit into this years lid.

-Noah

Guest Marilyn Cambers

Aisling ~

GET ONE!!!!!!! Helmet very very important - particularly if you want to remember what to do with your "voluptuous" body that you've shared with the bomber sausage factory. Trust me, I know!! :D

I purchased a Giro Camber off e-bay "buy it now" for $55, no shipping & it is brand new. It's awesome! There are other brand new helmets on e-bay, if you prefer something different. However, I don't think I would buy it, unless it is brand new, ya just never know wear and tear of used helmet.

Good luck ~

Marilyn ;)

Marilyn how do you figure your right size though... without having tried the particular helmet on?

i've run around the house trying some of my dad's and brother's newsboy/scali caps on to see what size my head might be...

well 7 1/8 fits, but gives me a headache (little too tight)

but 7 1/4 is too big!

Guest Marilyn Cambers

Aisling ~

Measure your head with a tape measure, preferably one with metrics (cuz most helmets are sized according to centimeters), otherwise you'll have to convert inches to metrics. You can go to the snowleopard website below, click onto one of the helmets, they do have Giro Camber and at the bottom of each helmet page is a size chart .... The "Team Wendy" helmet has both hat size and metrics.

http://www.snowleopard.biz/slms/dept.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%5Fid=3513

Mine has a small amount of give, but with the chin strap secure it's very comfortable and doesn't move.

Marilyn ;)

You've got to try them on, because people's head shape varies. Mine is quite long and narrow, which is why I have such a hard time fitting helmets. Some helmets fit round heads, some fit oval. Some motorcycle helmet manus even make the same helmet in different shapes for that reason.

Bottom line - I'd never buy a helmet by mail unless I'd tried on the same model and size in a shop somewhere.

Guest Marilyn Cambers

I'm with ya -- trying it on does make a difference. I had the opportunity to try on the Giro Camber & some other helmets prior to purchasing on-line.

Marilyn ;)

I just got a giro fuse and although I haven't crashed with it, it's definitely lighter than my old Boeri and the single switch ventilation mechanism is outstanding. I also got the audio system in case I decide to plug in an MP3 or something? It's comfortable, light, and removable ear pieces.

iRiver iFP-190T 256 MB Digital Audio Player (Amazon.com)

Have two days of riding with the Giro 9 / "Tune-Ups" (speakers in the removeable ear-flaps). Sound is very good plus you are not blocking the ear canal with "ear-buds". I was able to converse with others while standing or riding on a chair without adjusting the volume or pushing the in-line mute button. Volume was about half-way. This helmet may not be as warm as a Fuse. I rode with sock or helmet liner sock when the a.m. temps were in the single digits.

The speakers may be hard to get until next season. The set I got last month were ordered pre-season and were several months late.

I have my doubts about packing this helmet in my boot bag as it is could be damaged by a baggage gorilla. Just may have to take as a carry on.