Cypress about to open

BlueB

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sunshine has Goat's Eye opening tomorrow - earliest opening ever.

I have a friend boot packing and prepping for the World Cup Downhill at Louise this weekend, she's being dumped on - not so great for racing ...

Kicking Horse opening early Dec 2 with 215cm in a week (Break out the powder board).

Fernie and Kimberley have snow forecast right through to Monday ... (Roll on New Years!)

Even Panorama has 70cm (which is normally about as much as they get in a whole season :eplus2: )

Only downside - the temperatures for the next week are hovering around -16C for a high (dunno what that is in deg F, but damn cold even by Calgary standards).

Ok, today’s report – POW DAY! :D

18” overnight, and another 6-8” during the morning, mostly over skied up stuff from last few days (at least on steeper runs)… Not crowded at all. 4x4 didn’t get to play, it was all 4807 again. After lunch pretty bumpy and skied up.

Met Dave* at the first chair and carried on with him until I had to go to the on hill shop and buy some serious goggles (my little ones were getting fogy and stuffed). Later I found Randy (softbooting buddy, but great rider) and played with him.

Well, first, here’s the guy (me) who can sink the nose of 4807 :( especially on the heel sides. Dave watched and said that I’m loading the nose almost like on race board (which I kind of felt myself, too), but I knew that I was doing something else wrong, on top of that… Maybe counter-rotation on heel sides?

Then, latter Randy lured me into some supper steep dense trees (Dave I’ll have to show you this stash), with waist deep pow. Well, I totally sucked. Randy made it look easy on the soft setup, but trees were never my cup of tea. After few open and bump runs, we went into some less dense trees with big skied up bumps – famous Humpty-Dumpty run. That was better, but exhausting. I still love the open steep pow runs the best…

Probably no more snow tonight, so tomorrow will be all soft pack cord. 4x4 and Generics are making the trip. 4807 too, just in case ;)

Best lift line question today, by a young lifty: “Bro, how old is that board?”

Me: “Brand new my man, brand new…”

Boris

Prior 4x4 made the trip to the mountain today, as I was really expecting just soft pack. As it turned out it was all hard pack! They really groomed well all greens and blues and left blacks with soft yesterdays moguls. Nice sub 0 temperatures right trough the day provided for no ice. Crowd was medium in the morning and heavy by 11. I left just after 12. It was starting to snow again as I was driving away.

Saw another unknown h/booter on asym and few guys on asyms with softies (Jack, help – epidemics!). I got to talk to one on the chairlift. Said he had an old F2 and plates at home, but never rides it… Later when I passed him I showed of with few near-ECs, just to remind him what he’s missing out.

As for 4x4 - sweet board! It holds the edge, even with high inclinations on hard pack. Well not quite like full blooded race board, but not bad at all. Nice dampening but not dead at all. I can see the speed limit to it, due to the short scr, but very good at medium speeds. Easy to skid when needed, too. One run I took it to uber steep big bumps (VW Beetle size). I got scared by the length of board – not easy to jump turn it. On flatter and smaller bumps it felt ok. No problem in skied up powder that I managed to find, either. I’m starting to appreciate the one-to-do-all concept. Funny enough, it feels quite stiff, maybe it’s a beefed up model? It might prove to be an ideal comfort board, and push the Hooger out of my car’s trunk… I still have to try it on ice.

Teaching tomorrow… Hopefully there will be few hours off, to play more with 4x4.

Who needs heli trips? Another 2ft of fresh at Cypress!

Not too many kids to teach, and 4807 really came alive today. Freshies were available almost until lunchtime. What a pleasure flying down at double the speed of all freestyle boarders… And I was thinking if I’d ever use this board at Cypress when I was buying it…

One of my instructor buddies wants to try the plates. I’ll set him up next week…

Boris, I know exactly how you feel.

I never thought that I'd be able to ride my Winterstick Swallowtail in bounds on any of the local Vancouver mountains, but I just spent the whole afternoon and evening ripping my Swallowtail through 2 feet of powder at Grouse tonight - my legs are Jello.

I'm gonna pop some Ibuprofen tonight and call in "sick" tomorrow- Mt. Baker is calling me and my powder gun to come out and play....

When is Cypress gonna open for night skiing?

George

I hit it, " just another powder day" temp around minus 4-5 around 15 cms fresh on top of very soft pack from yesterday, no sky chair, eagle opened around 1230hrs, they were working on the lighting system.

Am quite digging the moons area with all this snow. also had a blast popping off the lumps on humptys,

Quit about 1400 hrs, will be back on hill tomorrow.

Dave*

Dave*s tuesday Cypress report

Bluebird skies, around minus 10 celcius, hill deserted, some very sweet "powderoy" , almost good enough to forget about whistler.

ungodly amounts of grip, only a few soft spots on the groomies ( had the custom 71 atv out, it seems to crawl out of any hole you can create), a few ankle biter groomer ripples to keep you on your toes, but pretty decent carving,

the legs could only handle three hours at full pace on the eagle chair, so over to the other side for a couple more laps and it was called a day.

Did a few off piste laps, most powder is punched out, snow still soft as no melt freeze cycles yet,

Am contemplating the 168 rentiger or the 172 proton gs for tomorrow if no new snow.

Dave*

I just had to take a day off today! It just looked too promissing. 4" overnight, good grooming, clear sky in the morning, with some fog creeping in later on. 4x4 action...

Found Dave* there, of course. He lured me into the steep trees in search for remaining pow. There, I sucked on 4x4 even more than on 4807 other day.

Proceeded to destroy the groomers "unter zee lift" with occational expeditions into the bumps... Dave is getting closer to his winter legs then I am. We caled it the day at about 1pm.

I'm impressed how 4x4 can be laid over even at speed...

Warm front is comming, so the ice boards might come out to play soon.

Oh yes, night skiing is starting on Dec 06, week earlier than normal.

No fresh, perfect hard pack...

I'm getting the grasp on TD2s on Generics. I narrowed the stance a tad from the last ride (more to what I used last year), and it worked well. It felt powerfull, but somewhat unforgiving. A bit of occational nose chatter on heel sides, I'll have to work on that. I left some nice trenches on Midway/Lower Bowen. Tomorrow I might try the Renntiger...

Also, another instructor budy wants to try plates. I'll borow him the Hooger, tomorrow.

Perfect groom again.

I landed my Hooger to Mihal, a buddy ski instructor and former ski racer, and an average soft booter. He got grasp of basic Norm type of turn within 2 runs on bunny hill. Took him to a steep blue after that. He's stoked! It was also very interesting to see him step from his 145 noodle (he's a short guy) to 168 Hooger :)

Later on I left the board with another instructor, for a week. Recruiting is going pretty well this year :D

As Mihal and me rode the Midway chair, a well known bright orange helmet

appeared on the slope below. Dave* was digging some monster trenches, laying over some modified ECs (floating just an inch above snow, but basically laid over). Whoa spectacular, just other day he complained that he couldn't do them!?! I wish I looked half as good...

The tues n weds report

Yesterday ( tuesday) got off work slept for two hours then up to the hill by 1130, warm around plus two C, about 5-8 cms of warm fresh slop on the ground, a very light drizzle coming down making for visiblility issues, all in all a bit of a nasty day, rode to about 1330 and called it quits.

Today ( weds) a much improved day, in parking lot at 0840, temp around plus 1-2, high cloud cover, snow was a nice firm pack corduroy ( the jibbers were complaining abit) temps increased as day progressed with sunshine by around 1030 1100 hrs and progressively softening snow, I rode to around 1230ish then back to the city for errands.

If temps below zero tonight might be a bit " icy" tomorrow am but forecast is for another bluebirder.

It has taken 12 days on hill for the first lifty to ask " dude, what do you do for a living?"

John the ticket checker supervisor guy from OZ has been watching me (and Boris) "dragging your nipples" ( his quote) down bowen the past week or so, he is thinking of getting his HB gear shipped over now.

When does the infamous Cypress thursday night HB crew start to ride?

Dave*s cypress report

Kevin told me he would go tomorrow...

George? You were keen last week.

I'll call Sanjin and Pierre to check what are they up to.

My Mrs says some people are comming tomorrow to see our baby son, but that I'm not obliged to stay ?!? Hmmm, too good to believe, so if you do not see me tomorrow, tough luck.

Boris

No problema , just home from whistler ( free ticket, just had to drive, a perfect nine she comes with lift tickets, could have been a ten if came with six pack o beer) and the legs are shot, ( 0830 to 1430)

Some nice cord in the AM, flat light in the alpine, not many people up,

That new lift is friggin long, goes much further down than what I had pictured in my head from the map.

A few of the returning lifties were happy to see me back, and were wondering what the hell happened to me,

Back to Cypress tomorrow.

Dave*

I was expecting slush (warm weather), but it turned out to be super compact wet snow. Very fast too. I would have been much better of with one of the race boards instead of 4x4. Oh well... Later when it softened a bit, 4x4 came alive.

We are loosing the base very qickly - already some rough patches on critical spots :( We need another snow storm, very quickly...

Sorry to have been AWOL gents- I was in the Kootenays for work this past week.

I managed to gets some runs in at RED Mountain in Rossland, and Whitewater in Nelson, their snowpack is still pretty new, and the famed "Kootenay smoke " was nowhere to be seen- at least on the ski-hills....

I'm off to Grouse with my daughter for a morning session.

George

I'm off to Grouse...

Traitor! :D

Wet compact, fast... like yesterday. Very small crowd for Saturday.

Mountain crew patched some of the bad spots, good job.

I rode Renntiger/TD2s and tried some new boots, and had quite a few issues, but more in another tread.

From chairlift I saw some excelent carwing by a softboot instructor drilling few of his mates: He was carving almost full C toesides, on a steep blue run, then jumping 180 and lending on toe edge into other direction without any skid, thus carving toe after toe after toe side. Quite impressive. Generally there seems to be more instructors who can carve their softies then last year. Good.

Then on a flat spot, merger of a blue and a green run (Fork and Panorama), I saw a perfec circle trench! It had a run-out trench too, which means that guy didn't end up laying down. Smaller radius tells me that it was probably done on softies. I never did more than 270...

Later,

Boris

3" of quite light pow over frozen base (result of recent rains and then cooler front passing through), made for some very difficult conditions this morning. Well, at least on steep stuff. What do you do in these conditions? Ignore the fluf and just try to carve the hard base?

Later on it got all skied up and choppy...

I bumped into Adrian Bar and had a run or 2 with him. Nice Donek FC, Adrian!

No signs of Dave or the rest of Cypress crew...