Note to New Members ×

Cypress about to open

BlueB

Gorgeous groom. Super hard packed (but not icey) and -5C in the morning made for superb carving conditions. It held all day without getting skied up!

First few runs I got inspired to take my skis for a bit of EC - total blast, but quads killer. I washed out on few really laid-out turns, I think it was boot out. I need carving plates bigger then 9mm...

Later in between teachings I ripped on Generics. I felt completely in tune with the board. Got used to TD2s, and figoured out the cant'lift angles and stance that suited the board.

I found Pierre with his Sword and had few runs with him. Later on, Dave past by my group of students on his way out of the mountin. He had big smile on his face. Saw Kevin after the mountain, and met another new hardbooter with Mistral asym... Brotherhood is growing.

Fun part: As I came back to Kids Camp after every carving session, coverd with fine snow dust, the other instructors kept asking where I was finding all that powder on hard pack day :D

Cypress crew:

Kevin is suggesting Wednesday night session this week. Anyone in? Dave, George?

Boris

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like I shrank and grew some skiis today, pic relegated to #17 on the 06/07 gallery.

Just snuck away from work for the rest of the day, aiming to be on hill around 1430 to 1530, looks like snowing heavily with high winds.

Those that show tonight see you there till around ? 1900-1930?

Dave*

Just got in a little while back, was on hill from 1500 to about 1845hrs, the "groomers" were nothing to write home about, lumpy n beaten up from the day people, however the off piste was pretty damned entertaining

I will not lie the weather was a bit nasty, high winds ( blowing the dog off the leash) with wet snow/sleet falling quite heavily, this did however give me about 8-12 cms of wet fresh that the tracks would be filled back in after a few laps, spent most of my time on sunrise chair poking around the trees above midway ( enough light to navigate by, barely) tons of fresh lines as nobody else riding in that neighborhood, will be looking at rigging my mtn bike headlights up to helmet for future night riding forays to get to the good stuff, this was my first time night riding in about 8 years, just have to remember to dress a bit warmer next time.

Didnt see any one else on HBs.

Dave*s evening report

Hey Big!

I'll be there in the morning. Large grey helmet, blue (of course!) jacket, board, well... Generics, Prior or Dynastar.

If it's groomed, and Midway is running (short old 2-seater chair on the right), I'd be more than likely there. If pow, Sunrise chair (next chair, quad), Bowen or Rainbow runs. Later in the morning Eagle chair, Fork run.

See you,

Boris

I was there 9:30 to 12:00, no signs of Kurt or Dave...

Hard pack, but warmer temperatures coused few softer spots on Midway. Pretty ugly when you hit them at full carve.

Better snow on the other side, by Eagle chair.

Rode the Generics today.

More action tomorrow morning...

POOOOW! 8" overnight and still snowing in the morning. Surprisingly, the crowd wasn't too big for Saturday morning.

I was lazy and missed first tracks. Dave made it super early to the mountain and got to ride 1/2 hour before official opening of the resort!

I broke out the Dynastar 3800 169 - fun board! It looks like a bastard child of 4807 and a freeride board. Flex is quite similar to 4807 and it carves in a similar fashion. Ride is a bit livelier than 4807 as there's no huge nose to dampen the things. More agile in the trees. Still has superb float to anything else I've ridden. More vibration on chopped then with 4807...

Good part is that I managed to follow Dave through his bellowed steep trees, with limited number of face plants ;) Now I need to work on style...

I still had to do the lessons today. Never the less, grooming was perfect this morning. Super hard ripping, on Fork, by Dave on 4x4 and me on Generics. I saw everyone on the chair lift turning around and stretching their necks to watch Dave blast by...

What started as a perfect day tuned into chaos later on. Heavy winds and snow storm caused stopping of the chairlifts, except Easy Rider. Kids Camp remained open until 3pm and I had to deal with unreasonable parents insisting on signing up kids for lessons in that weather, and half-frozen kids later on...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Hillarious - I was supposed to work today (real work not ski teaching), but a call came through last nigt from my boss "We are skiing tomorow at Cypress...". No hard convincing rquired :D

Sooo, clear sunny skies, cold morning, perfect hard pack, hard ripping.

On the down side, after 11am crowds were crazy. Also the boss-man pitched up with 4 kids on snowboards and one one skis. Teaching again... To be honnest, I have no clue what to do with a little weak kid on snowboard, without any reall riding (or staying upright) abillity :( I have to do that CASI 1 asap. Others who could ride a bit had a ball with me.

Snow on forcast from tomorrow...

Work ending early today, and I'm heading up to Cypress. Be riding the bunny hill for a few warm-up runs by 1600, then probably Collins (hey, it's my first day this season). May also be there tomorrow afternoon from 1600 (I have a nighttime pass). Anybody else planning to be around?

K

Grooming and snow texture to die for! As they reported 3" of fresh overnight I brought 4x4, but Generics would have been better. Ah well... With latest changes I had that Prior realy dialed in. Funny enough, I have a bit of underhang on that board, now... Carved 5-6 quick runs on Midway, before my friends showed up for their introduction to snowboarding.

2 of them I started on hard boots!

3rd one was on softies. As former skier he got it very quickly. The 4th one was a girl who boarded before, so she pretty much took care of herself. Both are willing to try hardboots next time.

Well everyone had good time. We'll do it again.

missed you today boris, didn't get to the hill till about 5. very nice conditions today, certainly a sight better than yesterday's total white out, har har. seriously, after a couple of nice runs the clouds rolled in and in about 10 minutes i couldn't even see the chair ahead of me on the lift, and on the hill people would suddenly appear out of nothing directly in front of me. like riding in limbo.

tonight was beautiful, though, and the crowds really thinned out about 6. picking up my snow legs again!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

As for the hill - double teaching shift, yesterday and today. Crazy busy - up to 30 kids in camp at the times. Only had 3 runs for myself yesterday. Today was so wet, windy and misserable, and my glows and pants got soaking wet, that I was too cold to ride after I was done with teaching...

Bummer way to star New Year, but It still beats a worm lazy day in front of TV/computer at home...

Was up for a few hours this am. I think the bumpersticker got it right "***itzpukin".

Therefore Boris and company make sure you take a powder capable deck up tomorrow in addition to a carver,

Snowies on the car a definite must today, the cypress bowl road a bit of a gong show today,

Will be back up in AM.

Dave*

I'll see you there. 4807 or 3800 are making the trip. If you can't find me look on bunny hill too - I might be teaching my new h/boot recruits again...

Got off work early today, just didn't quite decide to go boarding - some tummy bug's torturing me whole week.

What was supposed to be an 18" fresh pow day, turned out to be skied up on steeps, windpacked in trees and hero groom on blues ang greens, in the morning, and all skied up later on...

Dave and myself showed up with fat pow boards, only Pierre came with his Swoard and was the best off. Ah well, 4807 can carve well enough. There's definitely a speed limit to it, and I still overload the nose on heel sides, but hey, it still beats soft boots by far.

50cm (20") of fresh last night. But, 20" of fresh.... um, cement. Super heavy stuff. People taking boards of mid mountain and walking down... 4807 was able to bust through that stuff, but no mistakes were forgiven - I stuffed it few times.

Now I understand all the complaints I heard from people who skied Sierras.

Freezing rain through the morning and millions of kids to teach....

By the afternoon all the cement compacted and made for decent carving conditions (providing that one could plow throug mini mogulls).

Boris,

You shoulda been with me at Big White in Kelowna yesterday dude -

40cm of Okanogan smoke and first tracks on the chair at 0800- I didn't have my Winterstick Swallowtail with me, but my 170 Winterstick ST was plenty capable of ripping through the powder stashes.

I heard from 4 separate boarders and skiers that my binding-boot combo (Catek OS2's & Raichle ski mountaineering boots) were the strangest they had ever seen- until I showed them how to carve up corduroy - then they told me they got "it."

Went up Seymour backcountry today, and turned back after digging my first test pit halfway up First Pump Peak - too iffy for my tastes. Last thing I needed was to be another North Shore statistic.

George