Cypress about to open

BlueB

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it looks like Dave* got registered to do the course as well, I tryed my soft boots on last night( first time in five years) and I honestly do not think I could ride in them any more so Boris it looks like hardbootin for me.

Looks like an afternoon session of practicing switch for me just in case its needed.

See you guys up there friday at 0830 in the brown bagger room.

Dave*

Huh?

I'll tell you AFTER we did it... next Monday.

While I've got your attention on this thread, few course related questions:

1) How much switch we'll have to ride (h/booters week spot)?

2) Anything to download/read prior to course? CASI manual you mentioned before?

Thanks,

Boris

If you could do beginner turns switch, that would be good, but not required. It's not a bad tool to have, though, to show a beginner something, who stands opposite to you.

The required element would be switch riding in a pendulum. You don't have to turn switch.

You cannot download the manual (proprietary) but you can look at the riding standards for all levels on the site.

Ahh hell, I cant wait for Boris(Blue B) to put his two cents in, The three hardbooters passed level 1.

Thanks for the heads up on the switch riding Rob , it wasnt needed except for a few turns on morning of day one when I think the evaluator was getting a feel for the groups riding,

We had almost perfect weather for the three days of the course, sunny and cold, nice hardpack. Would not have wanted to do those three days in traditional Cypress conditions ( foggy/rainy/windy/sleeting or all of the above simultaneously)

We got lucky, the guy(teacher/evaluator) for our group actually hardboots once in a while, the other evaluator not, funny thing that guy going off about balanced stance and duck etc and poking fun at us hardbooters when Boris asks him what stance he would take in a fight, he looked a bit stunned for a sec Boris jumped up into a classic boxing stance , and what do you know its a hardbooters stance, the evaluator we had laughed his *** off and said dont mess the hardbooters they know their stuff. Good one Boris!!!! High Five( in a good Kazakstanian accent) !

For anyone else thinking of doing the course in HBs the biggest problem I personally had was " dumbing my riding down" to level 1 requirement,

I was more self critical of my teaching than I needed to be and stressed myself unnecesarily. Keys- short and sweet, no verbal diahrea, a good lesson plan, watch what the teacher/evaluator does and where he does it, then copy it to the number on exam day and you cant go wrong,,,,, "monkey see, monkey do, heres your bananna"

Got a good chuckle out of watching Boris surrounded by perfect groom three mornings in a row and not being able to let her rip, reminded me of an old retriever dog eyeballing a porkchop.

Equipt used

Boris prior 4x4 angles unkown

Adrian ( aka alastair now) coiler AM one day, prior 4X4 two days

Dave* ( I cheated a bit) prior 167 BXer angles about 40/32, I found slacker angles for a lot of the stuff much easier,, I think if I ever actually teach I would be using the Nordica TR 12s for boots not my raichle 224s I took the course in.

I am sure Boris will be chiming in soon, Dave* needs some sleep working 0700 hrs tomorrow

Dave*

Well you heard it from Dave allready - hardboots rule! We proved it's doable on plates. Other comment we've got from our chief evaluator, rigth in the beginning is that he had never seen anone doing level 1 on h/b. 3 at the time was certainly a shock...

My angles were about 55-50 or 50-45? A bit of underhang on 4x4...

For those interested to try Level 1, I'll put a bit more tech comments in CASI tread posted by Neil not long ago.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=13646

The rest... great athmosphere, freindship and bonding in the group, nice and knowledgable evaluators, good fun. One of the successfull candidates (softbooter) is on his way to conversion. In a short brake after I let her go, he said "I like this, can I try it?" Between Dave and myself, we've got enough stuff to gear a small army of alpine riders, so sure budy - you can try it! :D

Thanks to CASI. Well done Adrian and Dave!

Boris

Well done Cypress carving crew!

The Alpine carving braintrust for the Lower Mainland is established and on its way....

Boris, good luck with the goal of establishing an alpine carving program on Cypress, if there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Your pal,

George

I totally miss carving with you guys this season- Grouse on the Y2Play pass is OK, but it's just not the same....

Having said that, there is a regular posse of 4-6 hardbooters that I meet on Grouse- just not at regular times, like with you guys.

Spent last Saturday doing the Cypress backcountry loop with a bunch of backcountry skier buddies- the snowpack outside of the ski boundary is funky- 3 inches of powder on top of a two inch ice layer, then a 1 foot graupel layer underneath- you have to carve this stuff g-e-n-t-l-y, or it'll kick your ass.

40cm fresh reported on snowline turned out to be more of 10cm on top of 30cm yesterdays tracked up. Still crazy amounts of snow this year - it's almost that my pow boards get to play more than ripsticks...

Dave* and Pierre came to play, too.

Today I broke out the Tanker 192, with plates. What can I say - it's different to anything I've ridden before. True about comparisson to a big comfy Cady. Super stable at speed (actually it needed speed to become rideable), smooth over everything, good in pow, carves decent. Biggest surprise - really turny when you crank it hard! I think it likes to be "surfed".

The manufacturers sweet spot stance has 50mm (2") set back. I started about 20mm forward of that with stance wider than my usual. It felt quite stiff, reluctant to initiate but then hooky. I blew zillion of heel side turns, but that's normal for me on new boards... Later I narrowed the stance a bit and went back to ref. set back and it felt just right - flexed better and felt balanced.

I felt almost brave enough to straightline the monster over chop and mini bumps down a black diamond.

It totaly sucked in steep tight trees (very brief passage to another run), but that's probably me - I suck in the trees.

Looking forward to try it on good groom. I have feeling it won't have the edge hold I'd expect from a board that long, but it's too early to say.

Now, back to CASI issues:

I'm delighted to say that I've been hired by Cypress Snow School as snowboard instructor and Dave's on his way in too, providing that his work schedule is ok with lessons schedule. We'll both do one day a week (me Sundays). We've got green light to teach on hard boots, even beginner lessons.

Boris

I had my wish granted - perfect groom (not to hard) to test the Tanker a bit further. Whoe, I was wrong, the beast can really rail. Generally it feels like bigger and fatter 4x4. Super fun to ride. You can carve it lazy or crank it up a bit, it is always happy. One run i straightlined it dow the full length of Midway/Lower Bowen run - no problem, stable as a rock.

Later on I swaped boards with Dav1 ;e. He also had all the bet to say about the Tanker - it was hard to get him off it! :D In exchange I rode his custom biffed up ATV. Super board! I thought it would be too stiff for me (Dave's got "a bit" of weight advantage on me), but not, just super stable hard railing board. I was really surprised by the amount of edge grip, I wasn't expecting nowhere near that. I must has to do something with Dave's tune-up, 88 deg edge bevel, as oposed to my 90...

On the less bright side, this morning I slipped in the parking lot and fell, full weight on my board and board on my left hand thumb. If there wasn't for the glove, it would have chopped of the top of my finger. This way I just ended up with a small cut/tissue burst on the side an completely ripped of nail. Blood everywhere, but first aid kit from Kids Camp office sorted out the situation - 2 band aids and finger of a rubber glove... I thought it would be sufficient, but after 3 hours of riding, my glove was full of blood again. Luckilly my whife is a vet and she's got experience patching up the beasts like myself ;) Few painkillers before sleep should sort me out tonight...

Boris

I slipped in the parking lot and fell, full weight on my board and board on my left hand thumb. completely ripped of nail. Blood everywhere, 2 band aids and finger of a rubber glove... but after 3 hours of riding, my glove was full of blood again. Luckily my wife is a vet and she's got experience patching up the beasts like myself ;)

Boris

I think you must be pretty hardcore to even want to go riding after doing something like that to your thumb. Get well soon.

Few painkillers before sleep should sort me out tonight...

Ask her if she has any horse tranquilizers, I hear they're great.:biggthump

once again get well soon.

later,

Dave R.

Yesterday like Boris said was very nice cord, nice enough to make even me look good, the sunshine was nice too, a pleasant change being able to see where the hell going.

Yup Boris is like pitbull, no whining about the finger all morning, he did say it hurt on toe side with a little hand dragging once and laughed.

His 192 tanker was a bunch of fun, very stable, got caught the first few laps hanging on to the carve way to long and bleeding to much speed, I did set it up completely different to Boris though , back binding as far back as possible and front up 22 center center, took a bit of getting used to moving that thing around in the lift line and coming off chair, I think it would be a bit of a handfull in west coast powder in tight trees, very fun deck!!!

Todays snow report, around minus 1 celcius, snowing, some very nice carving to be had till the crowds showed up around 1100 hrs, of note a group of twinkies up doing am session , all soft booters, not a single one did a passable heel side carve in my books, a few could crank the toe side but no powerfull heelside carvers, its going to be interesting when Boris starts sessioning with those guys and laying the smacketh down in the HBs,

Dave*

I think you must be pretty hardcore to even want to go riding after doing something like that to your thumb. Get well soon.

Well, damage was already done to the thumb. Not riding that day would double the damage, right? It actualy wasn't too sore until the evening. Then I was really in need of some horse stuff you talk about. It took 3x dose for large dogs to even try to sleep... Thanks for good whishes.

This morning I could not get the glove on :( Even the trick with cut of thumb from liner from old gloves wouldn't alow the shell to come over the bandage - too tight, too painfull. So I spent the day working at Kids Camp reception counter... I saw Dave in parking lot and gave him a big-thum-up. Literally.

To drawn my sorrows, I just had to win that sweet Rad-Air Hornet 164 on ebay, Vancouverite seller :D

...its going to be interesting when Boris starts sessioning with those guys and laying the smacketh down in the HBs.

Aren't you joining me on my mission?

Boris

Super fine weather - sunny and cold in the morning, warm during the day. Crowd wasn't too bad due to heavy fog in the city. Those who ventured above it, enjoyed the sun all day... But that's about it - snow is getting pretty crappy now - lot of freeze/thaw cycles, no fresh, poor grooming. After 2 weeks off the board, and difficult conditions today, my riding has gone to the dogs... Yet, it's still good enough to impress the most of my new instructor colegues. ;)

I had just a few lessons to teach and not too big group. Fun stuff. One of the teenage boy students (1st timers) practically rode the board straight away. He inquired about binding angles etc. As he stated that it felt equaly good to ride goofy or regular I suggested mild duck stance, thinking that he would be jibbing very soon. To my surprise and delight, kid asked "IS THIS BETTER FOR CARVING?". Wow!

Statment of the day:

As I joined the snowboard instructor lineup for lessons, one of the instructoress, wanting to be helpfull said: "Hi, you are new?",

me: "Well yes..."

Her: "See, ski instructors line up over there - this is snowboard school"

me: "I am snowboard instructor."

Her: "But these boots...?"

me: "Hard boots"

Her: "Oh I'm so stuppid, welcome..."

:D :D :D

Hey Boris, that will be me trying to teach tomorrow, weds and thursday. have to go early as no uniform or anything else set up yet.

Was up whistler today, It rocked, the cord was incredible, not icy like I was expecting, hardly any one up, clouds clearing to bluebird, awsome.They even groomed a swath down boomer bowl, the grooomers up there must be racking some serious overtime.

Stopped and talked with Mike at finelines on the way back, what he said was pretty damned funny, he said all the whistler locals dont know what to do with themselves as they have had so much powder this hardpack is bumming them out( its fricken awsome hardpack), Mike is going to take his AT boots out on a BX deck tomorrow for the first time to give the whole carve thing a go.

I miss my whistler.

Dave*

I went to Whistler last Saturday.(27th) I hit Whistler first thing. I tried that mistral sonic 167 I rescued from the "secret store" in FJ. I think I got a real jewel there for a total investment of $60 (board plus stone grind) Whistler was a bit too icy, board was very loud and squirming around for grip. There were a few spots with passable hardpack, but they were few and far between. I figured that Blackcomb would be the same. I went to my truck and swapped into ski boots and whipped out my best carving skis. (I always come prepared). Once I got to Blackcomb, I regretted swapping the board off. The snow was way different (better) than on Whistler. I didn't have enough time by then to go back for one of my boards, so I made the best of it by skiing at ridiculous speeds.

When I was in the lift line, there was a guy in front of me with a prior WCR metal. I started to talk to him a bit and he says "I haven't seen you in a while, where have you been" It's Chris freakin' Prior I'm talking to. Another guy in the line starts talking to Chris, asking "Where's my board, Chris?" I turn to look who it is. None other than Ross Rebagliatti. I had seen him a few times before when I used to live there, but it was the first time that I had actually seen him ride hardboots. I again regetted that I swapped for skis. Oh well, it was better than being at work.

later,

Dave R.

Jan 30 report.

Got up there about 1200 hrs to warm bluebird with slush on top of "icy" layer

pretty fun until 30 minutes after the sun went down when that stuff solidified , mmmm iced up crud lumps with polished patches.

Was up to about 2140 hrs teaching.

As to the teaching was first day ever.

Did one lesson shadow, then taught my first ever full blown lesson. It was a few level ones aka never nevers. That CASI course is a bit artificial compared to teaching a real pack of never nevers, should have grabbed a person at random and done a practice lesson a week or so ago. Going to give it another go tomorrow .

Not entirely sure this teaching thing is going to be my cup of tea.

Dave*

Congrats on your 1st lesson! You'll lern to love it, believe me.

Of course the CASI drill is artificial - you are teaching guys who pretend to be never evers. Also the teaching areas at Cypress are a bit steeper than I would really like them, especially the bowl behind instructors hut. Ah well...

Boris

Blue skies, frozen cord (good grooming) in the morning, sugar on ice by lunch time.

I rode the little Rad-Air Hornet 164 I got from ebay other day. Very interesting board, I might write a tread about it...

Also, I carved the skis for few runs. So, I could compare the feeling and look at the tracks from chair lift. And guess what - my snowboard arcs in snow looked way cleaner than ski! A shame for 30+ year skier and 4 year snowboarder... Interesting issue - I suffered from serious boot-out on skis. Seriously hard snow and extreme carving proved that 9mm raiser plates were not enough on 68mm waist skis. Fun part is when you loose edges while laid over on skis, you just keep sliding on your hip...

3" fresh overnight, then rain all day :(

Arrrgh, had to teach in that...

On the bright side, I got 2hrs lesson with small group of level 3s. 2 of them, a pair from New Zealand, was actually above that level, so I decided to skip few steps and had them nearly carving by the end of lesson. They were so stoked that they'll bok few private hours with me next Sunday :) They loved my alpine gear and few laid over turns I showed-of with...