Note to New Members ×

Carving the crowds -- meaty slalom gates...

Bullwings

Rule: 2 seconds urban, 4 seconds highway is pretty standard, although 2 seconds universal is taught a lot of places.

and...

Ah...I see. Yeah, the no-brake, no-slowdown, sudden lane change is nasty.

Remember, though: I live in Canada. We aren't so sue-crazy here (yet...), so we don't have many "staged" "accidents".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, based on the responses, it looks like i should be more concerned with what's up slope than what's in front of me down slope.

i have a feeling that the lack of speed will make it difficult to carve or that an increase in speed will end up making me that jack ass that plows you over from behind.

ah well. as for driving, it's only fun on a closed designated auto cross track or an actual race track. driving sucks. we need an ice age, then i can use the freeway system for something much more useful and fun. i'll need some warning though so i can order a split board before that happens, and so i can buy a bunch of matches, beef jerky, and something else completely stupid an useless.

looks like i'll have to focus on early morning (which i already do anyway) and some night boarding (which i've only done 3-4 days of ever).

well, based on the responses, it looks like i should be more concerned with what's up slope than what's in front of me down slope

So true. I'vere never hurt anyone / been hurt by anyone down the slope from me. Even if they darted out in front of me from the trees. But I've been decked pretty hard from behind on several occasions. It's one reason I won't take to the slopes without my helmet.

Yeah, uphill idiots are the worst. I got hit 3 times on the same trial last year. It's a natural halfpipe that I just carve the hell out of, and skiers like to bomb it. Gotta love the rich, drunk idiots coming down Ajax.

So true. I'vere never hurt anyone / been hurt by anyone down the slope from me. Even if they darted out in front of me from the trees. But I've been decked pretty hard from behind on several occasions. It's one reason I won't take to the slopes without my helmet.

Good idea... Wear a helmet, I think as a rider gets better, you get faster and who knows accidents happen, whether it involves another person or just the scenery, having a brain bucket could save you from havng a nasty injury and sitting out the rest of the winter..(Or God forbid ..worse!). And how bad would you feel...

We only get one head + contents... gotta stay as safe as we can.

I missed a winter due to a broken shoulder (BMX injury) I started having deep and dark thoughts that winter.... Winter means the absolute world to me....

suppose the older you get the bigger your fear glands are!

All I know is that I want a Samus (Aran) suit. If someone needs references, just mention it.

Until then, I'll just have to look at getting a spine protector and hip pads. Unfortunately next summer's Europe trip is draining the budget to near-nothing this year...so :(

I'm really not looking forward to my first hard from-behind collision...