Note to New Members ×

First bindings

dshack

that will play a big role in which ones you should buy. I've seen a few people here that still use burtons, but they're usually lighter.

I don't know what the "safe" limit is for weight with a very aggressive rider vs a more casual calm rider. if you weigh 220 lbs. + i think most would say to get cateks or bombers.

I'm about 130lb.

The cateks appeal to me mainly because of the easy adjustability and Intec support. I haven't really seen plastic intec bindings.

However, my main concern is whether you are likely to feel any binding slop or flex from plastic ones.

I'm about 130lb.

The cateks appeal to me mainly because of the easy adjustability and Intec support. I haven't really seen plastic intec bindings.

However, my main concern is whether you are likely to feel any binding slop or flex from plastic ones.

Compared to strap bindings, even the plastic bindings with Intec will have almost not slop. They will flex laterally a little bit, but have be a good thing as it will absorb some shock going through the much stiffer setup.

Since you are 130 lbs I'd say the worries about breaking a binding are minimal. Of course a binding can always break, but you aren't going to be stress it that much.

I'm 150 lbs and I ride TD2s and just got a set of Raichle Xbones for this season as a second set. TD2 are a great binding and with the yellow E-rings are a great ride. I would slightly warn you away from the TD1 as even with the soft bumpers they are STIFF. Another option are F2 Titanium Intec or Titaflex Intec (flexier) bindings at $180 (hardbooter.com/shop/index.php?catid=1). They are definitely stiffer than the plastic Burton ones, but not quite as heavy-duty as TD2.

There are 3 kind of bindings: plastic, plastic covered aluminium and all aluminium.

Plastic (stay away):

Burton Carrier

F2 Carve RS

Deeluxe X-Bones

Plastic covered aluminium (generally good, but varies):

Burton Performance & Race

F2 Race Titanium

Snowpro Race LTD

All aluminium (solid and stiff)

Bomber

Catek

There's a huge difference between plastic bindings and Bombers/Cateks. I rode Oxygens for years and switched to TD1's last season. And they are STIFF. Fun to ride and great feel to the board once you get used to them, but no give at all. At 130lb you might find them tough going, at least to start with, and especially if you haven't ridden plates before.

I found the Catek OS1's I rode much the same. I haven't done TD2/OS2 yet.

I dont think you will see many people endorse Xbones here no matter what weight you are :eek:
That's because most people here are big, heavy mountain men :) ... and everyone else parrots whatever they say (I know, I was one of the people who scoffed at without ever trying them).

From what I've seen people 150 lbs and under seem to find they are okay bindings, of course the Bomber TD2 are better made and I prefer them, but I got the Xbones for under $100... you get what you pay for. Bordy rides them on his race setups and you can't argue that he doesn't charge hard. He (like other racers) like the flexier feel of plastic bindings for choppy, rutted courses. Yes there is a change that they break, but again there is always that chance with any binding (btw the Xbones Intecs have aluminum Intec receivers, unlike the plastic ones on some other bindings).

The Xbones can have cant/lift via little wedges you stick under them, it is in NO WAY as nice as the TD2 or the Cateks, but again, you get what you pay for. If you have the money, buy a nicer binding. If not get one of these, have fun riding, and when you have more money saved up, by a nicer binding and enjoy how much better it is and then you too can make binding recommendations :biggthump

I have Xbones and I've haven't had any problem with them-I did need to wiggle my heel each time I locked in to make sure my intec posts were fully deployed, but I'd do that anyway.

I weigh about 130-135.

My Xbones are most comfortable(for me, at least) at shallower angles because of the cant issues. I have cateks for my skinnier boards which I will probably not be using this year....

One of my favourite quotes comes from The Carver's Almanac: "In carving, there are more opinions than there are facts." having quoted that, here is another opinion for you. We're no longer selling these bindings because in our opinion they were not as 'solid' as one would expect. In fact we have quite a few pairs that we won't sell or give to anyone. Maybe the product has been improved since the 2004-2005 season, I simply don't know.

mine are still in great shape... what exactly happened to the bindings you describe? perhaps they were a different model? I wanna know if i should be tossing these for safety reasons!

mine are still in great shape... what exactly happened to the bindings you describe? perhaps they were a different model? I wanna know if i should be tossing these for safety reasons!
Yea, uh I heard Pogo boards are also unsafe, you should toss them to me for, uh disposal so no one gets hurt.

Your bindings are mechanical devices and as such require periodic and diligent maintenance in order to provide you with troublefree enjoyment. If you don't feel confident that you're able to identify potential problems with your equipment, please take them to a qualified snow sports professional.

of course they dont seem to be in any sort of distress, but im concerned now. Is there some sort of internal problem? spontanious failures? what exactly is wrong with the Ph46-6?

I have Snow Pro RACE bindings.

I'll be able to give a better comment on them once I get the chance to tear up a few slopes. For 100.00 they were the most logical choice for me.

If I find I like the full hardboot set up, I'll get some serious bomber bindings or other top of the line pro ****.

my last post wasnt very clear, sorry...

yyz, what made you think the bindings weren't very solid? sloppy manufacturing? weak parts? were there problems with the plastic toe clip? the metal bails? the baseplate? toe blocks? heel blocks? hardware (all of which i replaced over the summer)? was there a specific model that had issues? were they very appearent or subtle problems? and finally can you give me a specific example?

I really want to make sure now that I wont wind up hurting myself next time i hit the snow and that i wont be dissapointed halfway through the season if my bindings fail me. I still can't find any problems, but i want to know what I might be dealing with in the future. I will be purchasing TD2s for my alpine board, but im leaving the phiokka on the longboard unless i find that they wont hold.