Note to New Members ×

Bicycling

jnshapiro

On a whim, I took my road cycle out for a ride this afternoon. I haven't been on it in 7 years or so. Last ride was a century (100 mi) on the Eastern Shore of MD.

Anyway, there's a paved trail that runs along side the American river. I rode down to the trail and then up for a while and back. Really pleasant outside. Ended up riding just shy of 12 miles. It didn't take long, about 40 minutes or so. But WOW! I'm way out of shape. I'm going to have to try to do this a couple times a week for some exersize before the snow gets here.

I'd forgotten how nicely that bicycle rides. It's real smooth and easy to keep at 16-17mph or so.

For any of you wrenchers out there (I was a bicycle mechanic in high school), the frame and fork set is Colnago Master Light. Components are Campy Chorus. Wheels are Rolf Vector. No, it's NOT for sale!

All in all, a very pleasant ride.

Guest vigilante76

That's a shame that work of art haven't seen pavement in 7 years! I do ride a lot... usually around 200-250km a week on a Colnago Active w/ Chorus on a Spinergy Stealth PBO wheel set. Ride on!

Glad to hear that you've picked the bike back up. There's actually a fairly good sized thread about cycling already over here: NEW cycling thread Just an effort to keep duplicate threads out...like what happened with the coyotes and silly laws threads :angryfire

If you're ever in New England and need somebody to ride (bike or snowboard) with drop me a line, I'll go out all year round.

________

BUY IOLITE VAPORIZER

Some pics from the trip. There was ~1" of snow in the meadow at Mt. Rose and on the trail down to about 8000ft.

Mt. Rose Meadows:

biglines_66371.jpg

Fat Chance on the trail:

biglines_66372.jpg

Further along, now on the Flume Trail. Looking back from whence I started. The aspens are on fire in the foreground and there's snow in them thar hills in the background.

biglines_66374.jpg

That's it, nothing else to see. Move along now.

Great Pictures!! Personally, I like riding in the snow, as long as there is not too much of it.

A Fat Chance?? that is old school!! I also have a old schooler mtn bike, a Bontrager Race that I set up as a single speeder. I always get comments on it.

OVR

Call me ignorant or a flatlander or whatever, but...The last picture in that series looks like it's tilted, or is that what the terrian looks like there. Its not a big deal, its just gonna bug me until I know, because if thats what it really looks like in a level shot then that's really cool!

Its a trick of the foregound and background not agreeing...duh. The small trees in the front are straight, so it makes the shore look like its sloping. There are a few spots like that around here too, which is why I'm wondering.

Justin I think its because I was standing on a steep hillside, taking the picture looking to my right so you have the angle of the slope intersecting the shore of the lake which is angling southeast at that point. I hope the shore isn't tilted because they say that if you emptied Lake Tahoe, it would cover the state of California with ~14" of water.

Nice pictures! That's the same section of the trail where I broke my ankle last month. :mad: I wish I could be up there riding, I've never riden it while the aspens were in full color. Did you ride down the staircase? This is the spot where I broke myself.

(not me in the pic)

post-831-141842219698_thumb.jpg

I have been doing the local xcross series to get in shape for the winter. I had been pretty sporadic on the bike when the kids were new but have been riding pretty steady for awhile now. It is great to get back into it and see lots of old friends at the races and get out and compete, even if I'm not going to win anything. Just the fitness alone has brought alot of energy and the races are a blast. The weather has been great so far but it looks like the mud will be on the way this Sunday. Highly recommended.!!!!!

Here's my 13.75 hours (105ish miles) of fun on Sat in route to a podium finish.

Unfortunatley the Garmin battery craps out after 10ish hours.

It would have been 13 hours, but my light went dead and road singletrack (albeit pretty darn slow) under the starts for 8 miles.....

For the enduro junkies, you'll note the cardiac drift after a few hours although the pace stays relatively consistent.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/email/accept.mb?senderPk.pkValue=495&unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=1488745

p.s. - The calories counter on MB is not accurate for MTB. I estimate a little less then 10,000 calories burned (3900 eaten).