Note to New Members ×

Knee Brace brands?

orser506

OK.

My own kid T-boned me Sat. At least 1/2 of the ligaments in my knee are torn.

So I guess that's it for me this season. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on carve friendly knee braces..for next year:mad:

BTW:I was watching where I was going but I guess you have to really crank your head up the hill , hill is the main word here not mountain.

www.djortho.com

You might want to consider a Dyna Disc for condition later this summer. I tried one, just a single disc - one foot at a time and could really feel the muscles working from the knee down. My sister in law had this Rx'd after she tore her ligs in one leg - she said it helped her strength and balance.

http://store.yahoo.com/exertools/dytfa.html

Guest Randy S.

I've tried a bunch of them. The best one I've found (I wear two - one Arthroscopy on my right, two on my left) is the CTI2. Innovation Sports It fits well, supports very well and you can even get a knee pad add-on for it which is nice when you kneel down.

Big bummer about the knee.

I my opinion I think that a brace can give you false security. Nothing beats being strong. I would guess that if you do not need surgery proper weight lifting will strengthen the muscles around the joint allowing the tendons to heal. Ice is a big factor in the healing after a session of lifting too. If you do need surgery then a good strengthening program after surgery is the way to go, for the best results I suggest going to a good sports medicine doc and physical therapist. I have had several knee surgeries (5) and have never worn a brace. I still carve (and tele) hard. Mountain biking in the summer and going to the gym year round is what I do for strengthening. An ace wrap may be useful to keep swelling down early on as well as ice.

I do realize that everyone is different so good luck in what ever you do.

kt

Guest glennmorton

Bad news about the knee.

I torqued mine in the summer in a windsurfing back loop gone bad, the MCL torn with some meniscal damage.

I agree with the previous post, nothing beats rehabbing to properly, and one ready, getting it in shape. I found that once I had ease of motion (5 or 6 days), my physio therapist had be riding on the bike for 45 mintues a day, just to keep the blood flowing. Strenght training after that, just careful to avoid any exercise that makes it feel weird, which in my case is something like leg curl, where the bottom of the leg is loaded with weight.

As for brace, I opted for the DonJoy Playmaker. I really don't think it does anything, other than a placebo, but it really makes me feel better with it on. Since I had to ACL damage a custom brace wasn't necessary.

Check out your health insurance, mine covered it, and if you need a custom brace you will be glad to have it since they start at about $1200 Canadian.

Good luck,

Glenn

Once again guys Thanks for the input.

I guess I have to wait till next week for the swelling to go down so the DR can see what he is up against. I'm starting to wonder if it was my fault that I got hit. It was only my 4th time on in hardboots and maybe I was hogging the hill . But there was only two other people on the run and wham. I think a flashing light and siren on the helmet may have helped