Note to New Members ×

Never Summer vs. Lib Tech

Phil

First of all, let me answer the obvious question -

Q. Why are you asking a question about freestyle boards on an alpine forum?

A. I figure that more people on this forum actually flog the boards the way that I do.

So, has anyone ridden the Never Summer Legacy or the Lib Tech Litigator? I am looking for a FS board in the 170 + range. They are hard to come by, but I think that these are two good examples. I have narrowed my search to these two and I am hoping that some of you can help me out.

BTW, I am not looking for a FR board, I have a Donek Sasquatch for those duties.

Thanks,

Phil

i might be wrong, but isn't the litigator the board with the waves in the edges? the five point system or something like that? i demoed one of the wavy boards and couldn't get used to it, it felt all chattery when i tried to edge. i might be wrong about the model though.

hey phil, hope my email helped you with the litigator. What you might want to do is to call up Mervin MFG and ask if they know any specific distributors/rep who does demo on long boards. Not very common, tho. More than likely, you'd be lucky to be able to try them in the pacific NW since it's their turf.

never summer has a better warranty, WAY more solid boards so your warranty probably won't have to be used anyway, I have pounded the ever living hell out of a couple of NS boards and they have took it like a champ

never summer makes their boards pretty damp, they hold well on ice

never summer...

What boards have you ridden of theirs? I am interested in the Legacy 174. It is supposed to be a FS board. I am wondering if it is a twin or directional and how so.

The Litigator is a 172 twin and that just sounds tasty. If the Legacy 174 is a twin that would be just as tasty.

I still pine for my Nitro Diablo 178 twin.:biggthump

not sure what the name was, it was sometime around 1997 or so, it was your average freeride stick but a little stiff and liked speed

the others were whatever their wide stick around 170 was right around 2002(probably the legacy or premier)

that board was sick! similar to a burton canyon from the same era but better at speed and grippier on hardpack.

the most recent was the T5, a little narrow for my taste but it was stable at speed and felt a little less forgiving than the wide board I was riding before, that might be due the width though

I have no idea if any of them were twins, not something I have payed attention to, I have been on very directional boards like the old burton balance that rode as well switch as any twin so long as you don't have stance way in the back seat.

I like the litigator too, insanely different boards from anything that never summer makes, like comparing a donek to a coiler

The Never Summer FR boards (T5/Premier + ~Legacy) are really rockin' but maybe too damp and really heavy for freestyle. I had an SL (their freestyle board) from maybe 1999 or so - that was a poppy, snappy, great FS board. Looks like they don't make 'em big enough for you though, unless you can deal with a 168.

Rode a magnetraction board last year in the pow, couldn't tell the difference between it and a standard sidecut board at all. Magnetraction is suposed to work well on the ice. Everyone I know swears by it now, and that is why I bought a magnetraction board for this year.

Now If I could just get lib-tech or gnu to make a alpine board with magnetraction.....that would be insane

Why do you want a 170+ freestyle board?? A somewhat shorter board would be better for tricks and whatnot.

I am 5'18" and weigh 230 lbs. I have almost a 38" inseam. I don't like short boards. I feel like I am not going to do a whole lot of new tricks (new for me). Most of the tricks I do are the same that I have done for fifteen to twenty years (you know, the old dog thing). I prefer to do my current repertoire of tricks on a 170+ FS board. I guess if I was spinning 9's or 10's it might be different (or maybe not). Point is: big guy - big board.

Do you know carvers who like it? I have heard that it is a skidder's board.

Um...me and I am a carver, that is mostly what I teach people how to do, my buddy Halden, just about everyone that rides one LOL The magnetraction just gives extra bite to the snow so that people can hold an edge better. I want a race board with MagneTraction now, imagine the possibilities :)

Do you know carvers who like it? I have heard that it is a skidder's board.

not sure which one you're referring to. if magne traction, well it depends on which board you get. some boards are stiff than others. the regular magne series traction board, i bought one and sold it immediately. too stiff for my taste. demoed magne traction travis rice, boy do i dig it. solid carve as well as flex to my taste. of course i would think emma peel for my size is the best all round carve board -- 8 sidecut radius for 157-159.

Um...me and I am a carver, that is mostly what I teach people how to do,

I meant no offense, you had said:

Rode a magnetraction board last year in the pow, couldn't tell the difference between it and a standard sidecut board at all. Magnetraction is suposed to work well on the ice.

So I thought that you had not had the chance to carve on one. Now I know.

a good choice

I know you're set on NS and lib but from what you say it sounds like the tanker 177 with a 268 waist that I have here would be a good board for you

It is funny you should mention that. I always thought that I would like a Tanker. I have a Donek 'Squatch 170, though, and they seem like they would be too close cousins to have both. When I am on a FS board, I ride switch as much (if not more) than regular. I was not under the impression that the Tankers are the optimal tool for that. I know that my 'squatch is not. The Tanker has more taper and setback than the 'squatch and seems to be even more of a directional ride. I know that you are an expert on both of these boards, so maybe you can do a better comparison.

My original point is that I am really looking for a FS board. I have my other bases covered.

On the other hand, down the road, I would love to get the Tanker 200 :biggthump

How cool would it be to try spins on that thing? It would be like a helicopter blade coming around. Boardslides would be dope too.

but I have been on some of the bigger ones, they feel a hell of allot smaller than they are where the Sas feels a hell of allot bigger

the tankers are not real stiff like the Sasquatch, easy to handle in the bigger sizes, the problem being with the really big tankers is that they are not all that wide

the 177 should be perfect for me, at least I hope, a heck of allot softer than my Sasquatch 170 that I had awhile back.

if you're in the northeast early winter and have not picked up something I'll let you try it out