Note to New Members ×

Archery: For the big threadjacking jerk (Derf)

Justin A.

Just kidding, you seem ok :D

Yes, I am into archery. I have been for quite awhile on and off, when Im into it Im as into it as I am with snowboarding, but when Im not into it, well...

I a few bows laying around these days. My first real bow was a 1965 Bear Safari Recurver at 67# that my dad bought new back in the day. I also had another Bear longbow at 45# that wasn't anything great. More recently, I got a PSE st00ped compound that I didn't like...you know, compounds just rob the experience in a target situation. My latest addition is a Win&Win Winact Riser with Win&Win KAP Challenger Craft Limbs. I've been shooting Easton X7 Cobalt arrows since I got the Win&Win, but Im looking to upgrade to Easton A/C/E or A/C Navigators.

________

BOX VAPORIZER

Yeah, I'm a big jerk, but I least I put an OT warning and I said sorry...:argue:

Seriously though, like I said, I started shooting this year. I got some starter gear: KAP Surprise bow (only 20 lbs), Cartel sight, Easton Carbon Connekt arrows (beginner/youth). After a month or two, I added a Cartel stabilizer. It works well, but I'd like to upgrade next year to something a little better (Hoyt Gold Medalist, KAP Winstar or Samick Agulla) with international fitting limbs (maybe something around 26 lbs).

I took a course a couple of years back at school and the teacher was a professionnal archery instructor (who still competes). His approach is quite special: you learn the movement correctly for a couple of courses before even touching the bow, so you don't develop bad habits when starting. What I like about archery is that is a calm sport and it's very "Zen". You have to be calm in order to be stable and constant. I'm lucky to have both an indoor and an outdoor range within 10 minutes by car. The indoor range even has a 70 m area! I don't shoot as much as I would like, but I can do it more often than snowboarding for obvious reasons (time, distance, cost).

70m indoors!!?!?!? Oh my! I need that place. All of the shops except one around here cater to bow hunters, and as such sell only realtree arrows, compound bows, ect. It sucks. The one shop that has ANY target stuff is almost 30min away and they usually don't have what I want in stock. Its also the same place the built my X7s and put the worst fletchings I've ever seen on them :angryfire ... I still haven't gotten around to getting a sight :cool: During my last archery stint I got really good (as in 10cm groups at 85m), then snowboard season hit the mountains and I lost it all, Im back up to 15cm groups at 50m now though :). I might have to check out that indoor range that you have when I go to school in the spring. Where is it? West side of Montreal or East side? I'm gonna be in Ottawa, so it would be a bit of a hike, but not all that bad I think...

________

Chrysler Pacifica (1999 Concept Vehicle) Specifications

I too am into archery...

I will be heading to my treestand in 7 hours or so, here in CT. Season opened 2 weeks ago. I had one shot on opening day and blew it with my Black Widow. Buck fever...shaking in my boots, first shot of the season, enough said, if you've been the before. The doe played the head bobbing game for 20 minutes...before I got my shot (and proceeded to miss, cleanly).

Any way, I've got several bows:

1960s Bear something or other recurve ~45#s

Black Widow recurve 47#s on one set of limbs, 63#s on the other

Navajo long bow 50#s

Morrison recurve 45#s

Schafer recurve ~45#s

Mathews Conquest Pro Compound, I dont remeber the let off, but it's up there.

I am still looking for an OL Adcock, what an unbelievable bow...

I shoot nothing but wood through my non-wheeled bows, and XX75 in my Mathews.

I will using my Mathews (ol'reliable) tomorrow morning. I've got to get my first deer under my belt for this season (the freezer is empty). Then we will break out the more traditional gear again.

I've got deer, boar, turkey, pheasants and ram under my belt with a bow. Next year I am hoping to go off for either woodland caribou or moose. This year I am off to Maine to work my dog on some woodcock and grouse with my trusty 16...I can only afford 1 trip a year.

And yes I am a deer hunting junkie. I've got tags in CT, NY, and MA. Yes, I either eat the venison or donate to Hunter's for the Hungry or to one of my clubs for their annual game dinners.

The 70 m indoor range is at Claude-Robillard, in the North part of the center of the island, here is the Google map. There is also a website for the club, but it's in French only. It is mostly 18 m that they shoot with the 70 m only open on some weeknights.

This summer I tested my bow to see how far I could (safely) shoot with 20 lbs, and I got to 50 m, so it's not so bad. But like I said, it's my first year, to I try to keep it between 18 and 30 m to develop my technique and my consistency.

As for the shops that carry target/recurve shooting material, there is one in Montréal and one on the South shore, but I've never been to the second one. In Montréal, they carry mostly Hoyt, Win&Win (and KAP) for recurve (and lots and lots of compound models for hunting).

Th seasonal membership is the only fee available. I got some friends to shoot once or twice because the person in charge that day would allow it. Unfortunately, there is no "one day" or "one try" charge. A friend asked one of the person in charge and he explained the technicality of it and why it was not worth it to have a one day charge. The exterior range has a one day charge of 10$, but it closes this weekend I think.

The website of the complex is http://www.sportsmontreal.com/

I split an arrow at 25m one time, but it wasn't a perfect down the center kind of thing, it hit the nock on the other arrow and split it off center. My girlfriend took the split arrow and mounted it for me, but it has since disappeared. I usually knock the arrows around on the face when I'm shooting well, but I've only split one. Shooting bottles from 45m is fun too :). Eggs from 70m is nuts though...

I once met a girl who (on the US Olympic team) who could shoot into the center hole of a CD at 90m. THAT was F***ing Impressive.

________

MAZDA AXELA HISTORY