Note to New Members ×

Duty Fees.. be careful

BoarderYUL

FYI

I bought a used board 2-3 weeks ago and got it shipped to Canada from the US.

The seller, thinking he was doing a good move, insured for 600 USD (which is the brand new sale price, not the price I paid!)

Canada Customs then charged me taxes and duty fees on a value of 600$.. which is 100$ !

Just to let u know: if you send used gear to Canada, pls don't insure it since duty fees are pretty high !!!!

That was my rant-of-the-day ! :AR15firin

Canadians will always be charged GST plus provincial taxes on the declared value, unless it's below $40. There is a claim form that comes attached to the package (or you can find it on line) that you can use to claim a rebate based on the fact that the value declared was incorrect. There is a long wait but it works.

NAFTA will ONLY apply to boards made in Mexico, US or Canada. Otherwise an import duty will be levied, depending on how well you know your 10 digit harmonized tariff codes.

DSub has a good writeup on this, shipping 101 I think?

I sold some Seismic springs to a fella up in Canada ... Then I got a phone call from Customs. :freak3:

Turns out, they thought the person I was shipping to was a business, in which case there were extra fees, etc. I said, no, it isn't a business. The moral is, don't use forum names for shipping, unless you want to thouroughly confuse customs agents.

As soon as they figured out what I was trying to say, they sent the package on with no delay or extra charges.

Canadians will always be charged GST plus provincial taxes on the declared value, unless it's below $40. There is a claim form that comes attached to the package (or you can find it on line) that you can use to claim a rebate based on the fact that the value declared was incorrect. There is a long wait but it works.

NAFTA will ONLY apply to boards made in Mexico, US or Canada. Otherwise an import duty will be levied, depending on how well you know your 10 digit harmonized tariff codes.

DSub has a good writeup on this, shipping 101 I think?

When shipping USPS, I've never once been charged anything but a small processing fee ($5), GST and PST on any item I have shipped from the US. This is a lot of car parts that have "Made in Germany" written all over them plus snowboards and outdoor gear from various countries. Honestly, I don't think the Customs guys can be bothered with the paperwork for what amounts to 3% or 5% tariffs, not with the amount of goods flowing across the border.

And yes, BoarderYUL, you need to dispute that charge. I once had an Italian steering wheel sent to me with an honest declared value of $300. The Customs agent thought he knew something about vintage car parts and assessed me taxes at $1,500! I disputed the charge and got a cheque within 6 months.

Watch for duty fees also if you buy from Blue tomato and have it shipped DHL. About a month after you recieve the item you'll get a bill for the duty charges from DHL. I recently bought a Hot Blast 178 and the first shipment was damaged so I emailed Blue tomato with the pictures of the damage and a claim number I filed with DHL, Blue tomato sent a new Blast out to me very quickly but I am now fighting DHL for double duty charges since there was two shipments. That shipment was last December and it is now in a collection agency and they are going back to DHL with my argument - 1 board - 1 duty charge. :AR15firin:AR15firin