Note to New Members ×

OT-Wakeboards that Carve?

No.2

Coming in to summer and wondering what to toe behind my boat. Single slalom ski or wakeboard? Any one tried both and can tell me which is closer to apline boards?

Also if wakeboarding are there any that are better carvers than others? What do I look for deep fins? Sharp edges?

I'm totally new to this so any advice would be helpfull. Had one go on a wake board and thought it was pritty close but never on a single ski.

yeah. . . slalom skiing is the closest you can come in my opinion. especially by a tournament ski boat. No wake. . . . nice glassy day is almost as good as perfect cord in the AM. maybe I will go skiing tomorrow morning.

ALL wakeboards you end up riding like a freestyle snowboard. there are some that carve better. I really like the Obrien Valhalla and Vice. They have a set of fins that are designed to bite when on edge that really remind me of something like a really really good freeride snowboard.

But bar-none. . . slalom waterskiing comes much much closer to carving. Get a good ski though. Double boot, right flex pattern. . . as aggressive as you are comfortable with.

-Todd

I concur on the water ski feeling most like carving. I have done both, wakeboard and slalom ski, the latter competitively in my earlier years. A ski feels so much like carving it is amazing, roll that thing on edge, ski starts to decelerate, hook the turn, dip the shoulder, snatch the rope into your hip and hold on. The G's accelerating thru the wake are on par with a carving board.

I use the wakeboard to get my fix on riding fakie and doing some handle pass 3's. I think the wakeboard gives me enough fix through the summer months that I never want to ride a freestyle board in the winter months.

Hey thanks guys! Todd those Obrien boards look awsome whats your pick Vice or Valhalla. They also look expensive. Are there any mainstream boards that could compare?

My boat kicks up a HUGE wake so I'm going to have to get board to satisfy my friends. Any sugestions for a nice snappy ski that will let me learn on it but also keep me learning? I'm 6ft3' and 175lbs. Boat cruises at around 38 M/H

Wakeboarding.

Over here they have cable skiing; which is like a boat only with no wake at all.

I find both a bit dull to be honest, as you only go round and round the same circuit.

But it is cheap and quite good for fitness. Better for jumps.

I found single skiing to be much more like alpine riding; very simliar to ultra high angle riding. Not hard either, was able to do immediately.

Riding the twin tip boards is ok, can carve them, especially the ones with decent bindings; however it feels like a soft boot set up mostly. Nice for fitness though. Again, after snowboarding, it is a piece of cake to just cruise. The jumps look hard though and I haven't fiogured that bit out!

Windsurfing on the plane feels like snowboarding to me more than wakeboarding, but the single ski feels most like alpine riding.

agree with all of the above

skiing/ windsurfing most like carving

biggest rush skiing for me --> accelerating out of the turn

i'm not good enough to get my shoulders in the water :rolleyes:

wakeboarding (haven't done much) like being in the park

big wake still okay for skiing unless your boat is huge - generally you run the boat faster than with the wakeboarders by 8+ mph

I miss snow.

Yes

I rode my motorcycle up to Sunapee yesterday to look at the mountain - pretty cold on the way - somewhat encouraging but so so green still...

UNLIKE Colorado where it appears that WHITE is the predominant color!- I took a gamble after finding $190 RT tickets to Denver and booked myself for Oct 16-20th

Loveland has made it open by the 16th last 5/6 years and been #1 in the nation for 6 - If Abasin says they're opening the 20th - Loveland will have to go sooner to keep the title - I have my fingers crossed hard enough to cut off my circulation

If your boat throws up a big wake it's prob geared for wakeboarding and jumping.The feeling of bashing the berm frontside on water and snow is really fun. Slalom skiing on fresh morning glass feels alot like a phat "euro carve". If you like surf style, a wakeboard ( I even use my kiteboard alot) is the right tool.You can find a used slalom ski for cheap. I've had the same O'Brien Graphite/Kevlar double boot slalom ski for 20 years.Prefer the wakeboard tho.We do "tow ins" behind the giant ferrys mongo wake off the Yamaha Jetboat. wish I had some pics of that. Got pics of your boat ? :cool:

post-123-141842219575_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842219582_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842219584_thumb.jpg

My boat has a inflatable leading edge.

:biggthump

Would that be a C boat or a bow boat ? both get awesome gas mileage.

:eplus2:

SAT

SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT...INCREASING TO

20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT. A CHANCE OF

SHOWERS. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

:1luvu:

SAT NIGHT

SW WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 4 TO

7 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUN :eek:

SW WINDS AROUND 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT...INCREASING TO

25 TO 30 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT. A

CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE MORNING... THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND

TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM IN THE MORNING.

post-123-141842219586_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842219588_thumb.jpg

Waroo 9,

Nemisis 10-18

Wipika matrix 13.5

Contra 16.5

We are going to high ground to try and snowkite tomorrow.

I wish we got some waves but no dice.

mighty proud of ya Bordy, esp the Waroo 9. My buddy just got a Waroo PRO 9 and it rocked in the super gusty wind sat/sunday on the Cape. :biggthump

post-123-141842219623_thumb.gif

post-123-141842219626_thumb.jpg

If you carve hard on the snow you will want to carve with one ski on the water. There's nothing in the summer to cure the blues like dippin' your shoulder to the water in a nice big carve with a huge spray shooting into the air. I miss snow.

EZE

And if you like and get used to the stance on that waterski - you should definately try the Skwal once the snow start to fall again. Nothing like it to get all that weight on the edge. :biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/200...PORTS/61017008

Plake rips on H2O, too

Freestyle skier wins water ski competition

By Rick Swart

Sun News Service

October 17, 2006

Two-time world champion hot dog skier Glen Plake put another feather in his signature Mohawk haircut Saturday when he won the top amateur water skiing title at the INT U.S. Championships at Ski West Village in Bakersfield, Calif.

Plake, 42, ran a full pass at 36 mph and 32 feet off to claim INT’s Super Open division title for Team Nevada.

INT stands for International Novice Tour and is the largest water sports organization in the country. More than 400 competitors from 17 states participated in the U.S. Championships in slalom skiing, wakeboarding, knee boarding and wake skating.

They earned the right to participate in the U.S. Championships by placing first or second in their respective divisions at the state level.

Plake is one of the world’s best known snow skiers because of his Mohawk haircut and starring roles in Warren Miller’s extreme skiing videos. He is considered one of the pioneers of freestyle skiing and has won numerous events as a professional snow skier. This time, instead of flying down 45-degree slopes at 80 mph, he was ripping roostertails behind tournament ski boats on manmade ski lakes, his first national competition as a water skier.

A resident of Silver Springs, Nev., Plake and wife Kimberly host Nevada INT tournaments and teach water skiing clinics on Lahontan Reservoir during the summertime.

“Lahontan is a great, great place to train,” said Plake, who generally tries to get in two slalom skiing runs a day. “We encounter everything out there that you could possibly face here — wind, boat wakes, you name it.”

Though Plake won the national Super Open slalom title, which is the most challenging division in amateur water skiing, he fell short of his personal goal of running the course at 35 off. In slalom water skiing competition, once a skier skis around all six buoys he or she advances by shortening the original 75-foot rope by pre-determined increments. The top pro skier at Bakersfield, Jamie Beauchesne, for example, ran the course with 41 off and cut short his bid for a world record by failing to make any buoys with the rope shortened to 43 off. At that length, the skier is only 32 feet behind the boat.

Plake, who skied a practice run earlier in the week at 38 off — a line length and boat speed comparable to the pros — took a fall at the one ball on his opening pass with only 22 off, normally his “warm up” line length.

“I just couldn’t wake up at all this entire week,” said Plake, who also fell “unacceptably early” on his first set Thursday afternoon. Clearly facing a do-or-die situation on Saturday against three of the best skiers in the nation, Plake got up from his fall at Buoy No. 1 and put together three full passes — at 22 off, 28 off and 32 off.

post-123-141842220043_thumb.gif