Note to New Members ×

Full face SB helmets

Hugh

I can definitely say that my helmet has saved me on more than one occasion. The way i see it, either way i'm gonna need something for my head (be it a beenie, or something to keep me warm) so it might as well be a helmet. It's not me on the slopes that i'm worried about, it's all the other people...

I had a Solomon CrossMax, but that took a very hard hit when I broke my leg, so that is gone... I loved it though... Never got too unbarably hot unless it was in the upper 40's or 50's... Over the summer, I got a deal I couldn't refuse on an actual Motorcross helmet, so I'll be sporting an HJC MX helmet this season.... Surprisingly there is hardly a weight difference...

Hugh, I was using the carbon Giro Mad Max , which wasn't vented (same shell as down hill mt bike helmet) so I cut some vents front(under visor) & rear. I didn't want any snow/rain, what ever dripping on my head.It was cool enough , unless you wanted to go for a hike. :mad:

I now have the Remedy & will use it next week, this is still the ski/snowboard model minimum vents. I'll use it before I decide to open up any more vents. Unfortunately I didn't get much of a color choice , its matt grey :eek:

i took a nasty spill in boardercross training last year, came off a roller at a high speed directly on to the tip of my board on my toe side directly onto my face. :freak3::freak3: While i suffered a few minor bruses in my face from the impact against the faceguard fo the helmit, i would have been picking teeth out of the snow (possibly with my jaw wired shut) had i not been wearing a full ace helmit. I wore a Giro Mad Max, but had to retire it when i discovered that the foam insert in the shell was moving around freely (too many impacts on the same helmit). i recomend a full face for anyone that is interested in going fast and not getting too worked.

Can anyone comment on the rumor I've heard often that a FF helmet gives more leverage (than ears) to catch on the surface instead of sliding? Might you just be trading a tooth for a neck injury? Good manners and a sincere respect for the members here prevent me from describing another rumor about the kind of people often found in a FF on a weekend at a resort...

Can anyone comment on the rumor I've heard often that a FF helmet gives more leverage (than ears) to catch on the surface instead of sliding? Might you just be trading a tooth for a neck injury? Good manners and a sincere respect for the members here prevent me from describing another rumor about the kind of people often found in a FF on a weekend at a resort...

I've been wearing my full face helmet for almost 5 years now and I've never caught the hard pack or anything on the chin/jaw piece. If anything it's saved me from jaw injuries. If I ever crash face first like that, it's the side of the helmet that takes the blow. Just curious, what have you heard about the kind of people often found in a full face helmet?