Note to New Members ×

Boots, got a question

jnshapiro

Pardon the newbie type question....

I have a pair of Raichle SB225's. They fit well, especially since I had some insoles made up.

Anyway, since I ordered a new board and bindings, ought I look at new boots too? Or are these boots going to perform well? If they're going to be fine, I'll get to a bootfitter to make sure that they are fit correctly. If I ought to be looking at new boots, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Joel

Hey Joel. My thoughts on boots is that you want to have them as stiff as you need for the G's you are pulling in a turn and how bumpy it is. The harder I ride the stiffer I like my boots cause they'll feel flexy when you're really railin it any way. If I'm just cruzing I definately like to back them off esp. if it is bumpy.

My guess is that with your new board and bindings you might find your rideing gets more aggressive. It's amazing how much stiff boots help your edgeing when your pushing hard. If the weather is a bit warm my 325s with raised cuffs and boosters start to feel soft.

If it were me I'd be saving my money for some new boots. Unless you are really light of course, Say less than 145??

I'm certainly not that light. I weigh about 185/190.

At least I didn't need any new clothes this year. My board pants from '98 still fit just fine, as does my coat. Gloves, goggles, and helmet are ok too.

Maybe new boots into the season. Have to see how these do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Joel,

I admire your commitment to plunk down serious $$ going into your 1st carving season :)

Your board and binding choices are excellent. It is a good idea to start off with your choice in hardboots that have some flex, because your board and bindings are a stiff pairing. Be sure to read the articles on BOL about "carve the norm" parts 1 & 2.

You are set, buy your pass and hit the slopes :AR15firin

Hugh

Another boot idea- If your current boots seem too soft keep them anyway because you can use them for all mountain riding and powder days on a wider softer board. I ride Raichle lemans boots all mountain and Head boots when I am on harder snow conditions and groomed snow with a stiffer board. I weigh about the same as you 185-190. Have fun! You will find you can do more runs in a day with hard boots because there is less leg fatique once you get used to them.

I've noticed that for myself, I am leaning more towards a softer boot and using my ankles more. I spent way more time last season in my cut-down modded 123's than in my 224's, and the thermo liners only play a very small part in that. It is possible to get in a too stiff boot and hurt the learning curve. I think my 224's will get the Bomber RAB this season just for the added suspension, and the ability to use my ankles properly, which seems to come into play when conditions get rougher. Just my $.02 American.

IMHO you should keep your boots. The 225 is a pretty stiff boot - especially if you have the harder red tongues as well as the softer yellow ones. I am about 195 and I used the yellow tongues when I had 225's and they were fine.

You can always get a BTS system or a Booster strap or both (all of the above sold right here at Bomber) if you want to mdoify the feel. I personally use a BTS system with blue springs all around on my Deeluxe Suzukas and Booster straps mainly to reduce shin bang. I like the progressive flex from the BTS quite a bit. If you boost fit well then you may find these mods may do more for you than a new pair of boots.

You have already taken the key step with the insoles, I might add.

If the 225's have the stock liners, consider upgrading with a set of thermo liners. For me, they were much warmer and much more comfortable than my packed out liners.

I'll second the suggestion that, if you do buy newer boots, you hang on to the 225's for backup/powder, etc. On the other hand, if they are my size you could just send them to me ;)