Note to New Members ×

First board

dshack

I ordered some closeout Lemans, and I'm looking for a board and bindings. I was thinking about ordering a factory prime or ultra prime from Chris Klug's site; anyone have experience with these? I'm a small guy, about 5'4" and 130lb, but I've been doing softboot carving for a while on a stiff salomon board with pretty high angles.

I've owned two Alps - also on the Klug site - and can't think of a better "alpine" board to learn hardbooting on. My second one - a 164 - came from the Klug site, and it's a beauty.

You might also look at one of the Ultra Primes - softer than the Factory Prime - on the site. Donek also has an "intro" carve board that's softer than his full-on alpine boards.

You can probably tell that I'm not one of the "hard core" masters who (deservedly) dominate this site.

Whatever...

Good luck and have fun

PS I have an older Alp 163 with some camber oeft. Will part with it for a song...

So the factory prime is significantly stiffer than the ultra? How does that manifest itself when riding?

It'll slap you around if you don't pay attention! A softer board will not punish you as much as a stiffer board for any of your mistakes, stiff is not a good way to learn to carve.

mario

Those of us who are bigger and/or more aggressive would probably fold a UP in half (I know I would). However, its probably a good board for what you want. Just make sure you can get 3 hole disks for whatever bindings you are going to get (not always easy). The Donek Pilot is also a sweet deal on a new board with cool graphics, 4-hole disks and a warrantee. Oh, and its from a company that continues to support the sport.

Those of us who are bigger and/or more aggressive would probably fold a UP in half (I know I would). However, its probably a good board for what you want. Just make sure you can get 3 hole disks for whatever bindings you are going to get (not always easy). The Donek Pilot is also a sweet deal on a new board with cool graphics, 4-hole disks and a warrantee. Oh, and its from a company that continues to support the sport.

I think the OP is right in the weight range for the Donek Pilot. Would make a nice starter board.

I learned on a Coiler 184PR II. That is a badass board. It kicked my ass the first few times that I rode it, but then I got good real fast out of neccisity (sp?). The latest addition to my quiver was a 164 FP and I LOVE it. It has a very athletic ride which I like alot in a board. I have ridden Cateks since the World Cup series (their 2nd model-correct me if Im wrong) and IMO are the best bindings on the market. I tried TD1s a few years ago on another board and have to say that I wasn't a big fan, but to each his own. I would reccomend an UP with Cateks, but that's just me. Good luck and happy trails!

________

Honda Manufacturing Of Alabama Specifications