Note to New Members ×

RC racers ? Radio Control Heli pilots ? Boats ?

Dave ESPI

I've got a hobby that takes up a good bit of spare cash becides Boarding.

Radio Control Vehicles.

I've got on-road pan-car Off-road JRXT truck, 3 RC helis, 1 boat, and I had a plane, but it is in the dumpster now..... Damn gravity and windshear !

Any of the readers here into this also ?

I had a sail boat in high school. I then moved on to a gas boat and experienced a lot more frustration than gratification. I then built a slope soarer. Apparently, I did a very nice job on the build and an even better job crashing. I busted it in half about four times. It currently resides over my bed at my parents' house. It could be flown again, just needs new radio gear. I also tried to build a bigger sail plane, but my mom ran the vacuum into the half built wing panels and crushed them while I was away at college and that was the end of the R/C career.

I still find it interesting. I look at the catalogs every once in a while, but I just won't part with any cash to support the hobby. I'd rather be a spectator. There's some amazing things out there, like that scale B-52 with 8 turbines. Wow! That sure turned out to be an expensive way to dig a small hole in the ground, but it was cool while it lasted.

Astronomy.....

I'm toying with the idea of getting a hydrogen alpha solar scope-the little ones are around $500....

My C5 cost $1500 10 years ago

My C8 would be about 2 G's to replace....

extra eyepieces are 100-150-200, up to $300 a piece....

CCD's are still through the roof

My ex- ruined my credit with the boat I didn't want him to buy.....

Now, boats are a huge money sink....

I have a Kyosho Raider with a Challenger remote at my father's house. I got it in 1988 I think. I used it until around 1993, then not much. I always think of getting it out, but never take/find the time. It still runs I think. I did a lot of mods (home made mods) on it and I changed the body. It really took a beating because I was young back then.

The Kyosho Raider was a beginner's RC car: plastic frame, all bushings, no bearings, friction shocks, mechanical speed control. The remote is a two sticks type (as opposed to a gun type).

Astronomy.....

Have you ever thought about grinding your own mirror? Years ago, I made my own 8" Dobsonian reflector. It cost me about $125 in parts. Sure, mine didn't have any tracking (but it could have), but to get that kind of size and quality from a commercially available scope would have cost thousands.

I bought an r/c plane starter kit from a friend for about 200 last summer. Stupid me, didn't think about how altitude affects planes, and I crashed it on my first flight. Stupid, stupid.

I used to race electric cars in high school (early 90s). Had an RC10, RC10L, RC12LW, RC10T, and HPI RS4 Sport 2. Still have the truck and 10L, as well as the HPI but they are gathering dust in the basement. I did a few races about 4 or 5 years ago but haven't touched them much since. I've thought about bringing the HPI out again but battery technology has moved on a lot so it would be a bit of an investment.

Also have most of the parts for a plane lying around but they were inherited and I haven't got around to finishing the assembly (or crashing it) yet.

carveitup

I had a mugen-seki racing buggy a couple of years ago, think 2003, that was a major investment. got out of it because everytime i smashed the front end parts costed an arm and a leg. the front swing arm was about 150 or so to replace, and universal shafts about 50 each

CarveItUp - do you have any old radio gear you want to chuck? I'm looking for a cheapo 3+ channel setup that I can use in my hackjob of a foamie.

Sorry, can't help you. I have the 7 channel AM system for the plane but I'd like to hold onto that in case I actually finish it some time. The only other systems I have are a cheapy 2 channel stick and the 2 channel pistol grip controller for my cars.

I have 2 radio controlled one meter class radio controlled yachts, each with 3 rigs. My dad built a ton of radio controlled gear including:

- about 10 radio controlled yachts - marbleheads, 1m, 36R and a new class they have in New Zealand of radio controlled trimaran - all his own designs except one which was my design :-)

- about 10 radio controlled planes of varying types all his own designs; gliders, a biplane, a learner style plane

- about 20 tiny float planes; you guys might call them something else, it is a plane that takes off from the water; these were not radio controlled, but will try to convert them at some stage

- a couple of kit cars

The saddest thing I had to do was 2 years ago, when I had to sell/give away most of them as my dad passed away and my mum moved house, so couldn't keep many of them. I couldn't find any collector types, and no shop wanted to buy them or sell them because the planes were all hand built tissue over balsa, then painted... apparently no one in NZ wants planes like this anymore because they are too hard to fix in a prang; all the cheap foamy ones from China are super cheap now....

I can't remember what I did with them; I think my brother has maybe 4 planes and the trimaran; rest ended up being given away.....

If I knew some of you lot were into this, I would have sent a few over!

RC is great fun! Sailing is good; some great racing to be had.

used to have lots of RC stuff, even a few multi engine planes

He often would build models of what he was flying at work or whatever he owned at the time so there were models of C 46s and AT 6s around

also he used to do the RC pylon racing

he is for sure a old timer though, refused to use the plastic covering and would always use fabric and dope

Hey Jim,

Lots of us fly in the valley. Anyone would love to help. Lots of guys fly electrics on Sunday am at Marolt ranch area. Mine are too big and fast for there, so I fly down at our flying site by CMC spring valley campus.

I encourage everyone to have a coach for a while. The "buddy box" system works really well, you fly until the plane's in trouble, then the instructor lets go of a button and takes over control.

Electrics have come a long ways. Tons of power, good flight times, and lots can be bought pre-built.

Anyone in Colorado, there is an auction in Lakewood the first weekend in February, with unbelievable prices (cheap) on stuff (boats, planes, cars, etc) that are ready to go.

How about control line airplanes? I am doing that and having fun. I enjoy competing in controline stunt and hope to go to Tuscson to fly in the vintage stunt championships someday. This hobby has a small following like carving. It is unfortunate since we have better gear than was available years ago.