Note to New Members ×

concept for skateboard (carving.)

bobble

i'm always on the lookout for something that simulates snowboarding in the off season.

the tierney board is okay but to me its not the same sensation. feels more like tipping back and forth while flexing at the ankles. not sure about the carveboard. looks cool.

for some sick reason i can't help but think about mounting two sets of skateboard trucks to a board and mount plates. i would think that having the trucks closer to the rails of the board would really simulate carving.

post-1112-141842218701_thumb.jpg

aside from being waaay too heavy, trucks need to be mounted on the centerline of the board in order to work. One of your pairs of trucks would be airborne on each turn.

IMO, Tierney and CarveBoard have come the closest, but both have missed the mark slightly. The CarveBoard deck has great flex that really helps it feel like a snowboard, and the pneumatic tires have unbeatable grip. However it suffers speed wobbles and has a pretty tight turning radius. The Tierney board solves the problem of speed wobbles, and the turning radius is more variable, but the deck does not flex at all. Also later models come with a fixed rear truck, so all steering is accomplished with the front truck. This places the pivot point under your rear foot. On a snowboard the pivot is between your feet.

aside from being waaay too heavy, trucks need to be mounted on the centerline of the board in order to work. One of your pairs of trucks would be airborne on each turn.

Actually Jack your wrong Lonnie Toft built 8 wheelers back in the 70's. They had a surfy feel to them but they worked just fine. Not my cup of tea on asphault mind you but the feel would be quite carvey.

my comment was aimed at the fact that the concept has been done for years and from my first hand knowedge of skating one it has a surfy feel to it that if you went downhill would be much like carving a snowboard. Not quite on rails but more so than say my dropped pin has.

so tell me - are ALL 8 wheels on the ground at all times throughout turns? I don't see how they could be.

i was thinking that with loose trucks and plate bindings, only 4 wheels would make contact with the pavement. at the transition point, all 8 wheels would make contact.

i'm not mechanically inclined (nor suicidal for that matter!). wouldn't plate bindings on a skateboard give you enough leverage to put the board on edge and force the trucks mounted towards the rails to pivot?

Plates would be really really dangerous...straps or skyhooks is about as connected as I would want to be. As for how many wheels are down ...until you get really leaned into it you can feel at least 6 wheels. The problem is that it rides a lot longer than it's wheelbase and you end up kick turning it a lot more than you think you should

Plates would be really really dangerous...straps or skyhooks is about as connected as I would want to be. As for how many wheels are down ...until you get really leaned into it you can feel at least 6 wheels. The problem is that it rides a lot longer than it's wheelbase and you end up kick turning it a lot more than you think you should

yeah, it is insane. its not something i would try. every time i try to picture myself going down a small hill i can't see past the part where i'm getting catching an edge on asphalt.

i just wish there was another alternative to t-boards, freebords, carveboards, etc that really felt more like an alpine board.

Guest Miata492

Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to share this photo I took of a guy I have run into a few times out testing all of these wild road carving boards that he has built. He is Wayne from Surf-Rodz. I know he has snowboards and stuff has been posted about him and his boards on this forum before. I have seen him riding on these road boards with hard boots, soft boots and with wood decks on them and they are amazing. I road one real quick with a wood deck on it and was blown away by how much it felt like snowboarding. I think these can be the real deal for getting that carving feel on the pavement. He told me he will be testing his newest prototype in the next week or so with new trucks that he had made that will have a wider wheelbase for better carving so I will be checking that one out too...

post-2702-141842218724_thumb.jpg

Guest Miata492

he slides to a stop, just like snowboarding. i am pretty sure he will be doing some type of brake system althought the way he rides it he does not need one...

Guest DirtsurferUSA

Why not consider the new Dirtsurfer Freestyle for great carving both on and off road?

It has Artek Disk brakes, thermofiber deck for plenty of flex and pop, two 16 inch BMX Deep-V wheels for plenty of roll and grip. The shorter, lighter frame really offers a much sweeter carving experience than the bigger Flexi Pro.

No speed wobbles, the faster you go the more stable it is. It can go anywhere. Not restricted to paved roads. Handles summer ski slopes well.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1416/1100/1600/Freestyle06.jpg

Just something to consider for your quiver.

just received a demo from Flexboardz... guys are selling lots of them for kitesurfing the sandbeaches, but the small model i have is great for carving use ( with or without straps)... big advantages vs carveboard: no wobble and excellent dampening for eventual offroad downhill... I'll try to test it carefully this summer and give a objective feedback..

Very interesting craftmanship in the aluminium foundry parts...

can't wait to leave the office, inflate those tires and try the baby!

more info and some vids on the guy's site: www.flexboardz.com

they are surfers from the basque coast, and love alpine carving :) inventor told me the board gives the closest carving feeling there is... wait and see!

blog with disc braking mods here: http://www.flexboardz.com/blog/

flexboardzoc2.th.jpg

Nils

Nils, that is real fun ride, i belive you enjoy that. Less grip than on Carveboard but no worries of woble either. That disc brake stuff looks interesting, but if i ever start to build one then i think i would go rather brake system of Dirtsurf cause that prevents rider to going over tip of board :rolleyes:

Nils - please post a review when you get a chance to ride it! It looks like something like the steering mechanism of the BMW Streetcarver, which I think had a really great feel, except that the turning radius was way too short (super wobble at medium speeds) and the deck too stiff. I'm curious to see if the flexboard solves those problems...

ok i'm still alive!

almost did not make it thu!

spot: old city center ( lyon), wide boulevard with random cars here and there

sidewalks between trees, and otherwise on the asphalt when cars where away.

slope: not too steep around 7-8% max

Gear: Flexboardz Karrika 117cm x 31 ( wide all the way > this is a good characteristic because it allows for lower feet angle very close to the wheels axis. Stance was a bit smaller than on my snowboard, because am tall.. They claim bigger riders than 6.2 - 6.3 should try the longer deck... but they are working on snowboard stances ( i gave them the stances of the swoards so they could have an idea of what alpine riders usually ride) and should come out with a bit longer deck surface.

Gear description: board comes in parts with deck already mounted, wheels appart, and the foundry parts ( the "system" ) already mounted. It comes with proper tools for screwing bolts etc... so you need no tools ( nuts are 17-13-10 in size ( metric) except for tightening the bolts of the suspension on the deck ( takes 30-40 mins to build). Foundry parts are pretty impressive. the whole stuff looks stiff and solid! ( they had issues the first year with suspension rods bending... problem seems solved as they modified thickness and material)

Deck: unlike a skateboard, the deck is not bending at all> it is prebent and the elasticity comes solely from the suspension/steering system.

Setting: i inflated the tires for urban use ( 5.6 bar / 80 psi) so they are stiff as hell. Rubber is quite soft and small longitudinal lines makes sure it sticks. Supsension was set low height for urban / speed.. you can shorten the suspension rods ( turn bolts) so the board is higher above ground for rough terrain

Ride: its heavy ( 7.5 kilos) compare to a longskate, which is surprizing ( never tried a carveboard so can't compare). The feeling when you step on it is super weird: you feel like floating on a tight suspension. After speed builds up ( feet helps) i just put my feet appart and boom here is was> awsome snowboard feeling... the board carves smoothly, can sharpen turns, etc...

It eats all terrain problems such as 2cm heights, gaps, holes and pavement / asphalt connection in straight line. Its not advisable to carve when the terrain changes however, because the wheels tend to loose grip ( almost killed myself in front of a bus because of this..) ( it could be because i inflated the wheels too much)

In straight line the stability is very impressive, no wobble at all as stated by the company and reviews...the ride is very comfy because all roads imperfection are eaten by the suspension...strangely it does not leads to slughish, or loose steering feel... as soon as the turn is engaged, it does it firmly and frankly without stress, the deck tilting safely like a snowboard.

Last thing for today: Rotation technique is almost mandatory: I have tried a more frontal ( alpine bomberstyle ;) ) style and is was hard to get the board to turn quick... a bit like a wide alpine deck btw...

Rotation technique works perfectly, and it actually saved me during the carve when the asphalt changed to old greasy pavement... i was able to recover, jump and run because i did not loose my balance...

I'll try to get a few vids this summer of how that thing goes... they are supposed to modify their website with different videos to show what can be done... will be another source of info ..

Nils

interesting review of the same board with pics of boards here:

http://silverfishlongboarding.com/articles/consortium-reviews/

Glad to hear you didn't flatten yourself on the bus ;) So on each set of wheels, are the left and right arms connected to each other in any way, like they are on the Streetcarver, or are they completely independent from each other?

Yeah, I think I can tell from the pictures, but not sure.

If you place the board upside down (so the wheels are up in the air), and you push down on the front right wheel, does the front left wheel come up? Or does the left wheel stay where it is?

u cannot push the wheel down when the board is upside down because i have set it almost flat and the deck is suspended in air.. means all wheels roll and i could ride it upside down even... I see your question: the arms holding the wheel have a upper limit, that is given by the steel rods connecting to the deck

Nils