Note to New Members ×

mountain bike brakes

ak_rider

I have a question about disc brakes. I bought a supposed new bike on ebay from what seemed like a reputable seller(several thousand positive comments). It has disc brakes on the wheels but it has v-brake cables and levers. I'm not an expert on this but i dont see how these are compatible. The cables are already threaded through the front and rear discs, but not connected to the brake levers yet. Are these cables compatible or do i have to argue with this person to get some money back?

Also if they are mechanical, the cables and housing need to reach all the way to the hubs since that is where the caliper is mounted. By v-brake cable and housing I take that to mean that they only reach to the rim break mounts. If this is the case I would argue solely from the fact that you will need to buy longer cables and housing.

If you have hydrolic breaks and were given cables and housing you have a system that is not compatable at all. I would complain alot if that is the case.

Again, posting some pics would help answer your question though.

the cables are long enough, they're under a bolt on each caliper, but when i pull on the cable(as the brake lever would) the pads don't move. It's Juicy Five disc and caliper and shimano v-brake levers and cables. Sorry no pics, I don't have a digi camera. thanks for the help

It sound like he upgraded to discs and gave you all of the old parts too. Make sure all of the cables are in their respective slots/mounts/ferrules and adjust from there. otherwise find one of your buddies and bribe them with beer to fix it. happy trails, Art

Mechanicals are a pain in the ass to set up IMO. Contact the manufacurer for instructions and have some patience.

Really??? I have a Tektro caliper on a Braking rotor for the front brake of my Urban/DJ 24" that was easy to set up...EBC Brake pads help though. It's a hell of a lot easier to tune then the Oddessy Abrake (BMX V-brake) that I run on the rear wheel. Of course the one thing that messes up anyone who tries my bike is that the brakes are set up motorcycle style with the front on the right but I like it that way and I do ride a motorcycle

Um, I was under the impression that all bicycles were set up with front brakes on the left?

depends on where you are...in my case the the front is on the right because that is where I'm used to it being

Huh, I've never ridden a bike with front brakes onthe right. Didn't realize they made them that way.

Some CX riders flip-flop their braking levers for their dismount, but it's pretty darn rare these days....

K

AK Rider,

I just put on some new Sram (Avid) Juicy Carbons on my new Mnt Bike and I had the mechanicals before that and the V-brakes before that and so on......

If the guys at MSO (good guys) can't help you I would be willing to at least look at them and see if I can help. If I cannot I will tell you so.

Most likely it sounds like you have mechanicals as they use standard cables and levers (V-Brake). Bring buy the shop if you want, I'll take that beer! :D

Those are hydro. None of the old stuff from mech's or v-brakes will work.

which is why he said

AK Rider,

I just put on some new Sram (Avid) Juicy Carbons on my new Mnt Bike and I had the mechanicals before that and the V-brakes before that and so on......

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself :eplus2: it's been a long a painful day dealing with really stupid people who I couldn't yell at.

Many who ride a motorcycle a lot reverse their brakes

Really??? I have a Tektro caliper on a Braking rotor for the front brake of my Urban/DJ 24" that was easy to set up...EBC Brake pads help though. It's a hell of a lot easier to tune then the Oddessy Abrake (BMX V-brake) that I run on the rear wheel. Of course the one thing that messes up anyone who tries my bike is that the brakes are set up motorcycle style with the front on the right but I like it that way and I do ride a motorcycle

Compared to hydro's...yes. Compared to standard rim brakes...yes. But then again, that is why I said...IMO (IN MY OPINION). I hate mechanical brakes. i hate myself for even putting them on a bike. Hydros cost a tiny bit more but IMO they are worth the extra money...IMO