Note to New Members ×

Newbie help!

roscoe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kennyusmc

honestly go to a boot fitter ....the carver's almanac lists on place in Massachusetts: Summit Ski and Snowboard in Framingham

Some of these guys will suggest buying whatever and if doesn't work then buy something else...the downtime is when you are on the mountain and you only got five runs in because your dogs are killing you ... then you have to go to a bootfitter and try it out again and again. Get it done right the 1st time. If you buy them online and mold them you cannot return them.

From bombers own website

"We are not experts! If you would like expert advice, please see a professional boot fitter. We only have experience, and a liner-molding oven. "

The best thing is to go to someone with experience in dealing with all kinds of feet not just problem feet. They can determine the best boot for you based on how the last (mold) was made. There was a guy on here that was a pro bootfitter and he looked into what are the need of the foot in regards to support... does the foot pronate, is the arch enlongated, narrow heel, wide eet, bunions...etc...

another quote from bomber:

12. I wanted to see how the boots would work on snow, but now I don't like them. Can I return them?

Unfortunately, we can't sell boots that have already been used. Once you use the boots (liners molded or unmolded), they are yours. If you have this problem, you can always try selling them on our classified section here. See our return policy here.

13. My boots don't fit. Should I send them back?

NO! Please read the information about determining the correct size, as well as our Return Policy.

It comes down to it you buy and they are not right for you ...deal with it. Unless you go with someone who gurantees the fit of yur boot.

kenny...any reason why youre making it look like bomber is screwing people?

they sell mail order gear. just like pretty much ANY mail order company, if you use something you cant return it.

as for bootfitters, and selecting the right boots...GOOD LUCK finding a shop that carries alpine snowboard boots AND has a trained boot fitter. OF COURSE there are some...but very, very few.

and, on top of that...selecting the right boot? there are what...three options? Head, UPZ, and Deeluxe, currently available.

heat moldable liners will take care of a LOT of problems. Decent, off the shelf footbeds might help a little more, and seeing a real bootfitter is DEFINITELY a good idea, but not an absolute necessity for everyone.

what if one foot is 26.3 and the other is a 25.9? Cant really buy two different boot sizes, so do you think its better to go up a size for the left foot or down for the right foot?

My feet are both in the 26.5 < x < 27 range, and I find the size 25 Deeluxes w/ thermo liners fit great. If I went woith the standard liners the 25's would probably feel too small until they had a chance to really pack out. If you are using thermoflex liners, both your feet might be happier in a 25.

Guest kennyusmc
kenny...any reason why youre making it look like bomber is screwing people?

they sell mail order gear. just like pretty much ANY mail order company, if you use something you cant return it.

as for bootfitters, and selecting the right boots...GOOD LUCK finding a shop that carries alpine snowboard boots AND has a trained boot fitter. OF COURSE there are some...but very, very few.

and, on top of that...selecting the right boot? there are what...three options? Head, UPZ, and Deeluxe, currently available.

heat moldable liners will take care of a LOT of problems. Decent, off the shelf footbeds might help a little more, and seeing a real bootfitter is DEFINITELY a good idea, but not an absolute necessity for everyone.

See that is called a personal attack... the guy is looking for sugestions... and I say go with a boot fitter... it is the number one problem with people having discomfort,pain, or injury... you said good luck in finding a boot fitter that carries alpine boots well I looked on Alpine carver and found one in his state... tht may not be next door... but he obviously has two different size feet according to the same person who measured both. I am just giving an opinion...I am not saying a single thing about Bomber, but can you tell if your boots are right for the mountain walking around in your living room ? Probably not ... I again will quote Alpine carver's site " Don't size a boot based on how it feels when you try it on at the store. If the boot fits great in the store, it will wind up being way too big after it packs out. Sadly, a lot of hard booters ride with boots that are too big for them. " Now he is brand new to harboots...who knows if he has ever worn hardboots.. but in a softy setup it is all about comfort right off the bat...

So I have not said anything negative about Bomber, not a single word I have used their words not mine... I have nothing negative to say about bomber at all.... I think they provide a great service but if a bootfitter is available wouldn't you rather go with a professional if you had one available ? So according to yahoo maps from city center to the shop i listed was 28.8 miles and travel time of 32 minutes or their sister shop located in Danvers, MA about 19 miles...now am not sure if they sell retail boots... but he has plenty time until the snow falls ...

I'm in boston getting a head start on sophmore year, but I'm from topsfield, right around the corner from you. We'll defintly carve it up sometime next season. You might see POW around here and he might even go to my school in 2 years so they'll be a bunch of us in the area. There are already a bunch of guys that go to wachusett too. I'll be there 3-5 times a week next year (if gas doesn't end up being $5/gallon):D

I have boots that WERE mondo 26 but i got them stretched out big time at Summit ski shop in danvers. You could try them out if you want to but they would be a bad guide for what size to get. After one more stretch, they will fit me perfectly.

You have 2 options in my opinion:

1. spring the extra buck and go to a bootfitter, your feet will thank you later. I'm not sure exactly how much it would run you though.

2. Buy a mondo 25 and if it doesn't fit right with the thermo liners (in most cases, its very neccessary to get them), get it stretched out to your liking. The heat up the boot and put a hydrolic thing into it to push the nose out. It costs around $40-50 at most places ive seen.

What is your budget? Just whatever you can earn this summer?

See that is called a personal attack...

how you took anything I typed as a "personal attack" is beyond me.

you quoted multiple bomber policies that made it look like they are unreasonable and inflexible. such is far from the truth.

very, very few people have shops anywhere near them that carry this gear. apparently folks in MASS have it lucky. hell...Im in one of the most populated areas in the entire world and I cant walk into a shop and talk hardboots

michelle would say the same thing that the alpine carving site says. you dont want them to fit at home. you want them to fit on the hill.

anyway...it sounded like you were griping about bomber. if not, good.

and we agree that ultimately seeing a bootfitter is a good idea.

Not to take business away from bomber...but the Starting Gate (shop near Stratton that I mentioned before) carries Deeluxe and Head boots and has a great staff of bootfitters. I bought my heads there and they didn't charge me for bootfitting (of course I've spent a lot of $ there so they kinda hooked me up)

Guest kennyusmc

D-sub

When you say I make it look like bomber is screwing people that is a personal attack. Next you said "you quoted multiple bomber policies that made it look like they are unreasonable and inflexible. such is far from the truth."

It is called an Ad Hominem.

Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

1. Person A makes claim X. -
  2. Person B makes an attack on person A. look bad
  3. Therefore A's claim is false.

Hey D-Sub,

The guy's a marine, I'm not sure I'd want to pick a fight with him.

Kenny,

You're a relative noob to BOL. There have been tons of threads on this subject (the Search feature is your friend). Perhaps taking it easy on long-time posters, and not getting your undies in a bunch (take a moment to re-read what you posted before you hit the "Submit Reply" button - perhaps D-Sub could take the same advice, I know I've been guilty in the past) would be a good idea.

Boots and bootfitting are a long-time issue for all US hardbooters. Fortunately in New England, in CO and in Tahoe, we have options for on-site try-on of boots. Many don't. Its a shame since boots are arguably the most important part of the whole rider/board interface. Its a subject many of us are passionate about.

I've had good and bad experiences with boots I've bought from Bomber. Ideally, I'd always buy my boots locally, but that hasn't always been an option. A great alternative has been to get the boot that works best for my foot and riding style in a size very close to the right one from Bomber. Then take that boot to a local shop that does custom insoles and pay them for the custom insoles which usually includes unlimited boot work to make the boots fit. From rwcow's posts, it sounds like a 26.5 boot will most likely be the right size, but even that might vary from one mfg to another. In my experience Head and UPZ boots fit wider feet better and Deeluxe are better for normal feet (and out of production Burtons for normal-skinny feet). YMMV.

rwcow, I wouldn't worry about a 4mm difference, as D-sub said, the thermo liners in any new boots should take care of that. Whether you buy your boots a local shop in NE, or get them from BOL, just make sure you find a good bootfitter. And find one who will continue to tweak/fix/stretch/pad/etc. your boots for their life. That may require spending some coin on good custom footbeds, but as you will find in other bootfitting threads, that is probably money well spent.

Can't we all just get along? Actually this is a totally tame fight compared to some I've seen on other boards.

Not to take business away from bomber...but the Starting Gate (shop near Stratton that I mentioned before) carries Deeluxe and Head boots and has a great staff of bootfitters. I bought my heads there and they didn't charge me for bootfitting (of course I've spent a lot of $ there so they kinda hooked me up)

I was gonna mention the 'gate.

kenny...nice dictionary definition, but your claim that I attacked you personally is ridiculous. thanks for the education though!

Guest kennyusmc

D-sub.. no hard feelings at all and it was a textbook answer not a dictionary definition. LOL :) I notice that on many forums : handguns, subarus, snowboarding or atv riding.. people have different views and sometimes people don't like opposite opinions. I try never to discredit someone's view. Again it is their viewpoint... now when it comes to solid facts, that is when you can prove someone wrong. Again these were my opinions.... I firmly believe that when people start a new sport or hobby they shold be on the right equipment.. which is not always the most expensive or the "best" equipment. In this case this is not a cheap sport nor is it very expensive once you have what you need. Unless you can't stop buying. My suggestions were only to say that boots can last for years, and can be quite comfortable and serve the rider best if he or she is in the right size, and fit.

thanks everyone for their input yet again.

Gleb - my budget is basically the Coiler AM/Catek combo i just bought, and then boots. I think my parents are going to help out with the boots, and those might be both my birthday and christmas present! Those will be exciting holidays as I'll already have the boots. I have some flexibility in budget, but it is basically what I make this summer painting/court construction, minus some car payments and then hopefully adding some to the bank for beer/books (in that order) for college :biggthump

Tex - I might make it up to Stratton in a couple weekends to go to the starting gate b/c Im heading to maine with friends after graduation, but I'm not sure how far away stratton is from where I will be. I might just end up ordering size 26 Suzukas (from hardbooter.com ... bomber doesnt have my size :( )

thanks everyone for their input yet again.

Gleb - my budget is basically the Coiler AM/Catek combo i just bought, and then boots. I think my parents are going to help out with the boots, and those might be both my birthday and christmas present! Those will be exciting holidays as I'll already have the boots. I have some flexibility in budget, but it is basically what I make this summer painting/court construction, minus some car payments and then hopefully adding some to the bank for beer/books (in that order) for college :biggthump

Tex - I might make it up to Stratton in a couple weekends to go to the starting gate b/c Im heading to maine with friends after graduation, but I'm not sure how far away stratton is from where I will be. I might just end up ordering size 26 Suzukas (from hardbooter.com ... bomber doesnt have my size :( )

I think that, if one of your feet is 26+ and the other is oh-so-close, you'll be fine....

Get the Catek OS2's?....

Nah, they are a used pair of Catek olympics that were attached to the coiler i picked up, still good condition though, so saved some money.

The Coiler AM looks to be in amazing condition, took Bobdea's advice and went for it when I saw it, had a great price and only about 20 days of riding on it

wow good job man, you nailed a killer package. If you get great boots, you'll be about as prepared as you can get. Work hard and no one really needs books:)

OT kinda: find out the books you need and buy them online somewhere. School book stores are huge rip offs. Also, many teachers don't even go by the book so find that out in advance. Will defintly leave you alot more money for beer.

Nah, they are a used pair of Catek olympics that were attached to the coiler i picked up, still good condition though, so saved some money.

The Coiler AM looks to be in amazing condition, took Bobdea's advice and went for it when I saw it, had a great price and only about 20 days of riding on it

The OS 1 are still great bindings....

Sounds like you got a great deal...if I'm ever unfortunate enough to be on the Ice Coast, I'd definitely stick to Bob D's suggestions....he seems to know his conditions/specs required well

As it is, I stick to Sierras/Rockies for my trips :biggthump ....conditions much more forgiving.....

Gotta post those pics, man...we all love seeing a new ride

did you get that from Robert by any chance?

I am in the Gloucester area, so about 45 minutes north of the city. Are you in the city or also outside?

If you're in Gloucester, there's a shop in Hampton Falls, NH that stocks hardboot gear...a bit closer to you than those VT shops. I've never been to the actual store but they have a large snowboard presence on Ebay as the "Performance Downhill" Ebay Store. I think they're located on Rt 1. Over the winter they had a full line of Deeluxe boots, Prior boards, and bindings.

ya i heard of that shop. I never got a chance to go there either.

This past season, my parents gave me $200 to spend on books. If i bought all the books i needed, it would've cost me over $350. I found out which teachers used the books and pocketed the rest. Ended up spending around $40 on books and the rest on lift tickets. Parents never found out though :biggthump Got by really well too. I got a season pass to wachusett next season so gas will be the only problem by then.