Note to New Members ×

Goggle recommandation night (w/ Briko helmet)

Guest Caron

Really need the boards help on this.

I need to replace my current goggles and while I'm at it, get an upgrade. Currently using old Oakley E frames (I think) because my Carrera's have a weird shape that doesn't work with my briko helmet.

Also I'm looking for a lense that works well in low lighting 90% of my riding is done at night.

I've looked at Oakley A frames with either Blue or Persimon High intensity lenses. Are they worth the price?

I'm also open to other brands.

Thanks

I'm happy with my Smith Triads, the way the strap attaches to wings off the front of them really works well with helmets. I've never heard anything bad about Briko goggles, so you might want to go with the matching equipment - I just found them hard to find and even harder to get a good price on. At least with the Smiths I could get my hands on a pair locally to see if they would match up with my helmet.

I'd just suggest getting 2 goggles, or at the least, 2 lenses. I did a whole lotta night ski last year, and I really liked a clear lense over even a lightly tented lense once the sun set. With 2 goggles it's easy to swap to clear once the sun goes behind the ridge and light goes flat.

Sorry to hear carrera's might have helmet problems. Mine work well with my boeri helmet.

Two goggles (or two lenses) are the way to go if you ride both day and night.

For riding at night, you really really want clear lenses. Second best would be yellow, which also work well during the day in overcast conditions.

Basically, for night, you want something that lets in as much light as possible, and clear is the best at that.

I am lucky with my goggles. They are really old Smith with a double lens, but each lens has a different colour, and this makes it work well in the day and the night. The exterior lens is grey and the interior lens is yellow (or vice-versa) and it is great for all lightings, sunny days on the snow or badly lit streets at night (winter biking). Cost me 30$CDN 10 years ago! Never was able to find anything smilar as the lens is starting to be pretty scratched up. And they fit with my Giro Nine.

Derf