Note to New Members ×

Who likes bubbles?

mirror70

What mirror said, I had a killer Pinot by Argyle while camping. Being in the woods of Oregon and drinking Oregon wine heightened every sense that I had. Then we smoked fat cigars and ate cookies. Made not showering for days very comfy. Have a great trip!

PacNW seems to be producing good Shiraz'z too (like Australia) I am down to 2 bottles of my favorite Hamelin Bay shiraz and though I want to save it I know that it'll realy only be good until the fall :( :( I haven't been able to find it anywhere in the states

PacNW seems to be producing good Shiraz'z too (like Australia)

Sadly enough, I don't think the Syrah ventures in the PNW are going to bear any really good fruit. It's just too cool in the area for the Syrah grapes to ripen properly.

Even in the few microclimates in Washington where the temperature is hot enough to ripen the grapes, there just isn't enough land to produce wine in the quantities needed for a successful blend. You might see the occasionaly bottle, but the real values in the PNW are their cooler climate varietals: Pinot Noir, Cab Sauv, Merlot, Chardonnay and Riesling.

Funny enough, I'm not a big Shiraz fan. Much prefer Syrah. And yes, while they're technically the same grape, the name implies stylistic differences that are pretty self-evident

Gecko- Have you ever tried Syrah from the northern rhone? Cote-Rotie or Saint-Joseph? IMO the perfect expression of Syrah, especially Guigal's La Landonne. Unbelievable.

Seems delicous. Like i said with beer, I'm very limited on what i drink. So far, we've stuck with Franzia. Sure it takes like bear piss compared to some of the other wines ive tried at friend's houses and nice dinners, but, as Art said, its defintly is alot more bang for your buck. Try doing a power hour with that. no way you'll remember it being a great idea afterwards.

:barf::biggthump

24626.jpg

One more thing. wine seems to be more of an aquired taste. Some of the aged wine that I tried has a taste thats too bitter for my liking. I talked to some of my friends' parents who own restaurants and know their wines and they told me you have to know how to taste expensive and delicate wines. Franzia will have to do it for me for now.

omg cheese!!!! I absolutly love cheese. I got it from my dad because both of us can just demolish a pound of cheese in no time, with no bread or crackers at all. There have been less than a handful of cheeses that I didn't like. One thing i figured is the worse it smells, the better it tastes. Only applies to certain cheeses though.

One more thing. wine seems to be more of an aquired taste. Some of the aged wine that I tried has a taste thats too bitter for my liking. I talked to some of my friends' parents who own restaurants and know their wines and they told me you have to know how to taste expensive and delicate wines. Franzia will have to do it for me for now.

I don't think you have to be an oenophile to enjoy old, expensive wines, but in order to appreciate the complexity these wines have, it is a plus.

I work at one of the finest cheese and wine restaurants in the country, so I'm a little spoiled. Our wine list is 75 pages long, and 50% of our cheeses are illegal in the US.