Note to New Members ×

UPS RSV Superlight - sizing and shape

zoltan

I've spent 6 hours this past weekend walking around the house with a LeMans on one foot and a UPZ on the other. I've also compared the shape and sizing of the foot from one to other.

- A 27 UPZ has a heel width of roughly a 26 Deeluxe.

- The UPZ has a toe box that's a little wider than the same sized Deeluxe.

- The UPZ is shorter than the same sized Deeluxe by roughly half a size.

- The UPZ's upper portion is a lot lower volume than a Deeluxe's.

- The UPZ's buckles are so nice. They make me feel good...you know...down there. :1luvu:

- It's true, the UPZ's liner sucks. I put my size 26 Thermoflex liners in the size 27 UPZs and barely got them in there. I think you might need to down size your liners, but I'm looking into that more.

- They have a tenacious grip and can be fairly difficult to get in and out of.

- Finally, my feet are 27.5 and 28 and I was forced to downsize my LeMans to find a good fit, but I fit beautifully in the size 27 UPZ.

EDIT:

- I also wanted to add that the cuff heights are the same.

Don't forget that the UPZ apparently has the quickly detachable toe (not from personal experience, mind you, but from reading Fin's post). I'd think twice before buying.

Other than the obvious, is there any difference between a toe that detaches and an intec heel which is also detatchable.

To the OP, how does the upz compare to the softness of the lemans boot. Dan Yoja only lives an hour from my house and I was interested a few years ago in some boots but he was out of stock. Maybe I would be interested when my Lemans boots wear out. Also I have a riding buddy looking for new boots. If they are on the softer side, I could steer him into a pair also.

We are all mountain type riders so we need some flex for the trees, steeps and bumps.

I think about riding alot, I dream of riding at night....but I have yet to spend 6 hours waking around my house with my Lemans on...am I not obsessed enough yet? ;)

No, no, no, it was a LeMans on one foot and the UPZ on the other, that moves it from obsession to comparative product evaluation.

Weight: I just weighed both on my electronic scale, and it said they both weigh the same at 9.5 pounds per pair. My feet agree.

Toe piece: The problem isn't that it's detachable; it's that it's not T-nutted in place. Right now it uses huge screws that thread directly into the sole. Looking at it I don't think it stripping out to too much of a concern, but I'll put t-nuts in it anyway. Easy fix.

Stiffness: I think the shell is made more a slightly stiffer material than the LeMans, but the biggest difference is the UPZ has a hella stiff, assymetrical tongue on it. I'm honestly considering removing the springs completely and just letting the tongue provide resistance. I'm also thinking about slotting the top of the tongue like on the LeMans.

And it lived a good life. I'd rather have a board die by blunt force trauma as a result of my actions than natural causes any day.

My boots are in shlt shape too, and I'm going to have to get new buckles at the end of the season.

LONG LIVE UPZ boots!! Been riding in them for 2nd season already, and I -MOSTLY- use 'em for skiing and occassional alpine racing at copper. NIiiiice boots. of course, I did the T-nuts method with the detachable toe pieces as well as replacing the liner with thermoflex. no regrets, since then. Now its a bit beaten up. Want me to post pix of 'em ?

i think I've got you beat Lee. I'm on my second pair in 2 seasons, and I love them, but mine are in rough shape.

I'm a bit abusive. I don't want to hurt them, but they make me.

yea i gotta dig my boots out of the storage and take pix of 'em. soon ill be on the road to texas and new mexico for family annual visitation. hope to get it done before i hit the road.

EDIT: Shucks. Went out to the shed, and I realized Ive only brought all my alpine boards while I left the rest of my winter stuffs up in Vail, with my boots. :-/ Ill try to remember whenever I pass Vail sometimes this week. We could share some feedbacks about 'em, cuz Im kinda questioning one of my buckles.

• 4 months later...

Hey thanks serious for doing this I've been wanting to do the same for a long time. (I've got wide feet and had to butcher my 325s to make them fit.) I even have some 26 Thermo's ready in waiting.

My Q is do the 26 UPZ have the same size cuffs as the 27s. It might be writen on them. (You know how the Raichles have the same cuffs and tounges for 25 - 27.5)

My feet are exactly 269mm with my full weight on one foot, heel against the wall and standing on a ruler. How long are yours? Just trying to see if I could make a 26 UPZ fit. So long as they have the same size cuffs of course.

Thanks again for shareing this.

Jas

Thermoflex is a Raichle trademark, and Intuition is a company that actually made the Thermoflex liners for a while. Now Raichle makes their own liners and Intuition makes aftermarket liners.

Intuition liners are available in two thicknesses, and I think that's also true for Thermoflex. The ones you get with Raichle boots are the thinner ones. (And that's OK - thicker is not better.)

I think about riding alot, I dream of riding at night....but I have yet to spend 6 hours waking around my house with my Lemans on...am I not obsessed enough yet? ;)

I know your taken. I could sure use a gal like you!! ;)

Obsessed snowboarder

Intelligent

Funny

Doesn't mind sharing the house with a couple hundred snowboards. You, know, typical :eplus2:

LeeW, do you have to pull the liners to swap the toe and heal pieces?

You still have to take them off your feet to reach the screws with a screw driver, unless you are very flexable. Sure be nice to be able to step from one to the other and still use snowboard boots rather than ski boots. Thinking about mounting some TD1s SI to a set of skis. <WARNING- DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME> YES , I do understand there would be NO RELEASE. Not recommending this. It would be handy :angryfire:smashfrea

well, yes if you do have the intec step-in system on the heel piece. the toe piece, i decided to leave it in ski DIN module, since it works fine with the TD2 as well as T-nutted with some kind of lock washer. So since then, Ive only swap the heel piece and that's it.

• 2 weeks later...
My Q is do the 26 UPZ have the same size cuffs as the 27s. It might be writen on them. (You know how the Raichles have the same cuffs and tounges for 25 - 27.5)

My feet are exactly 269mm with my full weight on one foot, heel against the wall and standing on a ruler. How long are yours? Just trying to see if I could make a 26 UPZ fit. So long as they have the same size cuffs of course.

I don't know, but Dan Yoja should - he's the UPZ distributor in North America. You can email him at: yoja@cablerocket.com