Note to New Members ×

Need Input of Jackson Hole

Chubz

Folks

Need some input on Jackson Hole from runs to town activities. My wonderful wife, Deb (sneaky devil) just suprised with a 3 ride day trip to The Hole. I have not been there in 10 years and forget most of the resort. I remember dropping Corbet's, and some town stuff, but still need some help.

Taking one carving deck and dusting off my old burton custom for some freestyle runs. Looking for good carving runs, I can find the hidden stashes on my custom, but local knowledge would help and any local watering holes would be sweet as well.

greg

Greg,

Made many a trip to the Hole over the years. Bottom line, it is a great (one of the best) powder hills but an OK carve hill. I would bring the all mountain board for sure as it can be a bit limiting for true carve only terrain. At least I thought so.

Do yourself a favor, take one day and go over to Targee (about 45 minute drive). Dang, was that some good carving with no crowds.

Either way, you'll have a great trip :biggthump

Thanks

But I am limited on my travel with no rental car. The package my wife got does all of my transportation and lift tix are already paid for.

Considering my local mountain has limited runs to chose from, I am sure I can keep myself occupied with the handful of runs they have groomed. I am dusting off my Burton Custom and taking it as well.

I dont have an all mountain board so I will be taking one of my Pogo's too.

Speaking purely from second hand knowledge (don't even have bindings for my carving board yet!) I believe that the right side of the mountain (that's as you're looking at the map) is your best bet, particularly the Casper chair. Years ago there was a guy known as the Casper Carver, so named because he could be seen running laps on the Casper chair and ripping monster carves all day in the groom there. (Don't know - maybe he's still out there, keeping it real....?) But of course, you need to check out the goods on the rest of the hill too.

I don't do the watering hole thing so much, but 43 North seems to be popular (it's at 645 South Cache) not far from a bus stop, and of course the Cowboy and Silver Dollar bars downtown, next to the Elk Antler Arches....

Food - if you want to spend money, try the Snake River Grill. On the less pricey side, we've got Nani's Pasta House, a couple of Thai places, Bubba's Bar-B-Que, Billy's Burgers....

Oops - I need to head out the door - I'll think of more later... Do you need off-hill daytime activities too? Have fun trip planning!

I spend a week in Jackson every year. I'm headed out this Feb again.

The best runs for the carving board are off AV & Casper. Some good trails are Upper Werner(AV), Casper Bowl, & Sleeping Indian (Casper). If you're over by Thunder Lift, Amphitheater is Ok and Grand is wide,steep & groomed. Though, sometimes these 2 have a lot of traffic on them.

For apres--VC is great for PBR's. Mangy Moose is touristy but fun. If you're not on a budget, the 4 Seasons on the mountain has a swanky pub with fantastic food.

WHere are you staying in town or at the Village?

Have Fun!!!

/Thanks for all of the input and will get to it when all this office work is done. I'm pretty stoked as this is my first west coast trip in several years. Getting married, kids, etc. has kept me eastbound.

I am staying at the Wort Hotel in town.

As far as other day time stuff, I get in on Monday afternoon, so I will be chilling out then, but riding the others days.

The last time I was there, I stuck mostly to the stuff on the left looking at map) and finally dropped Corbets after years of seeing it in vids and mags. The landing wasnt so pretty, but it had my inards up in my throat. Wont be doing that this trip. Gonna explore and take my time, if I find a good run, I will trench it up and move on.

Gotta run but thanks again for the input. Willy your long board is still awaiting.

JBS

I dont think I will be taking it, but I could use your tuning skills, if you are available. Will you be out this weekend? If so, my freestyle board needs some TLC and the Pea Green Pogo. Let me know if you can help me out. If you will be at Blue Sat and Sun, maybe let you take them and get them back Sunday. I trust your tuning skills much more than mine.

If not, I will run some stones over them along with a fresh coat. Been too busy with work and will be working until late tonight and maybe sat sun. I will be up both days hopefully. It was good this morning for about an hour.

Back to work :barf:

Greg

first the good news, the groomers are in great condition. it has been cold and the snow hasnt melted and refrozen. no lift lines. casper chair has my favorite runs, perfect fall line and grooming is usually very good. you can carve turns from the top to the bottom w/o any traverses etc. the quad and thunder chair have good runs but you better have eyes in the back of your head, the people on this side of the mountain ski FAST. av chair is so/so, usually nice on top and icy man made snow on bottom. the village has changed alot in the last few years. you have to pay to park, $5/10. you can ride to bus for a couple of bucks but plan on a looooong ride. no tram this year. because of lack of snow almost all of the ungroomed terrian is closed. rocks everywhere. terrian parks are still closed. i have the next two weeks off so i will be at the hill alot. email me and i can give more info.