Note to New Members ×

Boot fitter in the Portland area

Dw3

So I had my UPZ fitted during the summer from Mt. Hood Alpine Race Center. They are in Govy during the summer but move out for the winter. Anyway, he did a great job and now I have zero problems with the "6th toe"..... Maybe I am riding harder now and have more lean???? My problem is the inside ball joint on the rear ankle. It's okay on the first day but the more days in a row that I ride, the worse it gets pain wise. So does anyone know of a somebody that can make this better?

Is it being rubbed raw from friction, or is it the joint itself that’s painful?

Guessing here, but f it’s not friction, a boot mod might not be the answer. Are you using a decent footbed, or the one that came with the liner?  It may be that you pronate a bit, and loading the medial side of the ankle joint. 

Another thing is that your technique may have (probably has) changed since you started in hardboots last year. How much splay are you running between front and rear?  You might just try rotating the rear enough to reduce the splay to half its current value and see if that does the trick. 

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the same question on TGR last week and got some mentions for both Mountain Shop and Evo, but Greg Coulter (www.bootsandmore.ski ) and Bob Olsen (http://www.mthoodarc.com/contact/) got the strongest recs, especially Greg Coulter. I am probably going to make an appointment with him myself - if so, I'll let you know how it goes. If you beat me to it, post your experience. 

Found Greg Coulter on Facebook and hooked up with him, got custom made foot beds and he “punched out” the part of the boot that was rubbing...... just rode 4 days at steamboat and boots were perfect.... and he was super cheap.

After seeing what you (@Dw3). did to that poor unsuspecting Kessler and how he removed all evidence of the crime 🙂, I went and checked out his site, then made an appt for this Tuesday to get my boots punched.  After speaking with him and then seeing your post,  I’m sure he’ll be able to get me sorted out as well as he did for you.

https://www.bootsandmore.ski/

• Like 1

Had my boots done by Greg Coulter last week, can’t say enough good things about him and his work. 

It’s one on one, unlike my previous experiences getting work done in a shop where even when I arrived at opening time on a Monday or Tuesday morning, I still spent a lot of time waiting mid-process while the tech would drop working with me to deal with some issue one of the sales people would walk in with.

He spends as long as it takes, while still charging per mod or punch, so a longer session doesn’t drive the price up. He spent over 1-1/2 hours doing four punches for me. 

He asked if I had any specific issues (I mentioned proximal 5th metatarsal), but he also spent 10 or 15 minutes checking everything over before starting, and found my custom footbeds were slightly too cupped, which was also compressing my forefoot. He reshaped them as part of the service, no extra charge. 

Rode the next day, all the issues I had with boot fit were gone.

So if you walked in and just said wearing them makes you go “Ow”, he can work with that. 

He also has evening appointments on Tues through Thurs, which makes it very convenient. 

The only downside to the whole deal was I felt guilty when he wrote up the invoice; he doesn’t charge enough. Not a hard problem to deal with, but next time I’m going to ask him what his favorite beer is and take some over to pad the payment. I’m picking up one of my boards from him this week, can insist I overpay him then 🙂