Note to New Members ×

I want start racing winter 2019, wash. USA 55yo, Do NOT laff!

Thomas A Price

• 2 months later...

Same boat here in Portland. I've been in the hard boots since this summer. I am from Tulsa OK and a member of their ski club. We have club races every year, this year is Steamboat (fun trip) and I also plan to race on another club trip to Big sky. Those should qualify for Nastar Nationals which I went to last year. Other than these, I am just kind of waiting for races in the area.

Edited by Dw3

join USASA as stated above. Here is what you get, and the costs:

Mambership is $100

Each race is about $40, and comes with a ticket for the mountain (Here in NH, ME and VT anyway)

You get a national ranking and can race in age group

Nationals, if you go, is a week where several hundred hard booters race, mingle and just have an incredible time carving up the Copper Mountain. In addition, Donek is there so you get to drive his latest wares, including plates.

It is genuinely an incredible place to be.

• 2 weeks later...

I started racing at 50 with NASTAR.  The beauty of it is that if your local area has it, you can sign up and pretty much practice on a set GS course all day, and get immediate feedback on your times. 

The downside is that they use ski gates, which you will want to stay away from.

USASA has snowboard gates, and they have races on or near my local hill every year, but to my knowledge they don't provide any meaningful way for you to practice.  You get to inspect the course on race day and get your two shots at it, and that's it.  By the way, there are some seriously good riders in your age group who you'll enjoy meeting.

Edited by darko714
grammar

• 2 weeks later...

I will second both USASA and City League in Washington.
The USASA series usually has at least one alpine event (usually a dual event, so counts for more than one race).
City League is just fun time running gates. I know there is a mostly snowboard team on Tuesday night at Alpental that could use some riders. The City League folks can put you in touch with them for sure.