Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2017/18

bobble

2/21/18

rode at lunch. snow was hard pack. fast! more gooder on Olympic. I swear they've moved the moguls further towards center of crossroads.

saw Erik the guy in ticket office. I asked if he had people come in and complain about the jumps. he said "a few" and that they were respectful. he just told them how it was. wanted to talk more but I was in a rush.

2/22/18

weird light. very flat. couldn't see moguls.

snow was breaking up on crossroads. fell down on heel-side on lower half. the snow was like chopped ice cubes held together by loose snow.

milkrun was decent. no ruts from races. still had firm cord which is unusual. i expected it to be tracked out but it wasn't.

olympic was decent too. still had lots of cord.

2/24/18

crowded. d-team races. milkrun and warners were off-limits. crossroads was already tracked out at 9 AM.

fortunately olympic was open to the public. they even had the rope tow going. used it four times -- even with Kinco gloves i can't get a good grip.  i stayed on olympic most of the morning, then switched to skis.

olympic was slow and easy. absolutely no ice....

board sank into the snow leaving deep wide trenches

people started showing up on olympic because it had the "good" snow. i had to wait for people to stop dropping in. 

i didn't notice this yesterday but the boardercross course on rail yard was taken down. it is now decent run... to carve on skis... when i'm bored.

BUCK HILL BRIGADE WATCH

love the trolling... as if this will accomplish anything. 

buckhill Buck Hill is a great training facility for so many athletes! @mason.crawford15 pictured has been riding since 1999! "@gteammn provided me with great knowledge so now it's my time to pay it forward! This year marks my third season coaching." photo/interview: @jgrahamproductions 
#buckhill #gteam #snowboarding @gteammn
john_henning17 I think you confused great with terrible
john_henning17 Make some jumps on jump line then you can talk about how great you are

2/26/18

olympic was the place to be. as one fellow hardbooter described it -- buttery.

@bigwavedave its good to know that i'm not the only one who's had issues with Guy LaDouche -- Buck Hill's legendary skimaster. your story should make for a good "Heard in Lift Line" story. the guy always seems pissed.

he will never ride up with me nor won't acknowledge me. i tried to be friendly. one day there was a long lift line and we were both next. he pushed forward all the way to the load line. i pushed forward after him. when he saw me standing next to him, he pushed backwards on his ski poles all the way back to the next people standing in line!!! i turned around and asked "really you don't want to ride up?!??". he just stared at me for a moment and said "NO". so we both rode single.

lift line politics are fun with this guy! he will purposely lag in the line when its obvious we'll be on the chair next. he gives off a scary vibe. to his credit, he hasn't buzzed me or hit me on the shoulder. assault much? jesus!

i bet @DonPablo knows whom i am referring.

8 hours ago, DonPablo said:

I learned the other week that the web cam on milk run can be tracked back 4 hours, there is a running timestamp on the top, thought I'd share

I quite often take a few runs down Milk Run and take note of the time. It's easier to find yourself on the youtube link, rather than the smaller BH web site screen. I haven't found a way to download short clips yet.  Took this with my cell phone, trying to figure out what happened.

CD1.mp4

Oh, and I rode up the chair with a guy riding a 170'ish asym Alp, Burton step-ins and Nordica boots. He was not a small guy and seemed to be trying to make it do big GS turns and blowing out a lot. Must have like a 10m scr?  Plus the snow was getting a bit soft by noon.

There were a couple of ski carvers that were trying to get as low as we do and trying to bring it all the way across the hill. One of them was getting both hands on the snow, but it looked like quite a struggle, didn't have effortless grace of carving a board. We had one run down Olympic where these two guys dropped into the entrance between Bob and me (me last) and it was fun to watch the effect of 4 of us carving under the chairlift and all the heads turning and fingers pointing.:ices_ange

37 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Oh, and I rode up the chair with a guy riding a 170'ish asym Alp, Burton step-ins and Nordica boots. He was not a small guy and seemed to be trying to make it do big GS turns and blowing out a lot. Must have like a 10m scr?  Plus the snow was getting a bit soft by noon.

There were a couple of ski carvers that were trying to get as low as we do and trying to bring it all the way across the hill. One of them was getting both hands on the snow, but it looked like quite a struggle, didn't have effortless grace of carving a board. We had one run down Olympic where these two guys dropped into the entrance between Bob and me (me last) and it was fun to watch the effect of 4 of us carving under the chairlift and all the heads turning and fingers pointing.:ices_ange

there was a guy from long ago when I first started that was a snowboard instructor that rode carveboard with Nordica ski boots. he was a tall guy. not sure what happened to him. think his name was Chad?

I went back in the evening on skis. there was race practice on Olympic. there were still trenches underneath the chair!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

There were a couple of ski carvers that were trying to get as low as we do and trying to bring it all the way across the hill. One of them was getting both hands on the snow, but it looked like quite a struggle, didn't have effortless grace of carving a board. 

Trent took this photo of me on Olympic several years ago. This was on the palmer 170s. I don't think most carving/race skis are designed to be ridden like this. In fact most expert skiers I let try the palmers really disliked them.

27113_1403945578079_4695616_n.jpg

• Like 2

I think what Kessler does best is to blend the many aspects of ski or board design and construction. The ski manufacturers eventually caught on to early rise tips and multi-radius sidecuts, but held back on making a radical package. I think in part this is because the mechanics of ski racing are different from snowboard racing, and that influences the way skiing is taught to the masses. The Palmer skis don't require the tip pressure that even the latest early rise slalom skis do. in fact, the Palmers don't like too much forward pressure. This makes the Palmers skis a problem in ski instructor clinics where you always look in the back seat. Ski manufacturers have also avoided any rocker or rise in the tail of race/carve skis, even though that's an important aspect of Kessler snowboard design success. 

The Palmers skis have the most camber I have ever seen on a ski. Interestingly though when the two ski are pressed together, the separation of the bases occurs about a foot before the real early rise starts. Same with the tail. With other slalom skis, the bases don't separate until the early rise. Nordica have resisted early rise on SL skis, but I noticed that this seasons SL skis do have that early separation seen on the Palmers, just without the early rise tip.

I have several times put ski students who need a boost on the 155cm Palmers. The difference in their skiing is amazing. The Palmers give them an instant boost in what they are able to do. That in turn improves their skiing on any ski. I saw a similar thing happen to many alpine riders when the new design boards came out.

Edited by BobD
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DonPablo said:

Buck season passes are on sale now for next year $390, thought I paid close to $500 last year when I bought one in August.

i don't remember what i paid last season but i did purchase in the spring.

$390 is getting up there.

:confused:

what ever happened to the air bag? i don't recall seeing that out all season. 

Palmer has worked with Kessler almost from the start on snowboards and skis. The Palmer crown has been around since 2000. http://www.palmersnowboards.com/products/crown/  Palmer skis were designed by Kessler and were/are? made in the short run/special dept at the Head factory in Austria. People say Kessler's own skis are better, but the specs are essentially the same.

20180301_222823.jpg

Edited by BobD
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, DonPablo said:

Buck season passes are on sale now for next year $390, thought I paid close to $500 last year when I bought one in August.

BUCK HILL INSTAGRAM BRIGADE WATCH

get your season pass, Neveplast included **

buckhill Grab your 2018-19 season pass NOW! Lowest price of the year until April 30th. If you buy now you can use it this season more
laurent_graham @megarry28
christinavispo @albertofernandez4wd @ricardoentw ? llevenmeee
albertofernandez4wd @christinavispo Vamos el domingo q va a hacer calor
slbme1 question: no free summer neveplast included this year?
oesegna How much
shania.vanlewin @dillon.seidl
buckhill @slbme1 Neveplast is included!
jasonlewy23 I so would if the park was worth it...
kuntz_adam ^
jon_mcmurry @jasonlewy23 oh shit??
nick_ski123 buck actually has to start think about stepping it up and actually building jumps on rail yard (like you said you would mid February) cause this is why everyone is commenting bad things and not wanting to come back next year. it has been a rough year...

"... but muh sendy jumps... you promised"

"... everyone is commenting bad things and not wanting to come back next year"

^^ erik in the ticket office dgaf

** Buck Hill is not responsible for damage to skis or snowboards while riding on Neveplast. Use at own risk. Quit your bitching.

20 hours ago, bobble said:

i don't remember what i paid last season but i did purchase in the spring.

$390 is getting up there.

:confused:

what ever happened to the air bag? i don't recall seeing that out all season. 

I had to look through my credit card history, it was 405 in September, for some reason I was thinking it was more than that

I was looking at the current version of my skis (Blizzard Brahma) and it looks like they switch from using Titanium to Titanal I think this last year.

What is really confusing is blizzard now calls it "Double Ti" and it is titanal, while "Ti" on the periodic table is Titanium...

My skis, "TITANIUM FLIP CORE"

BDsUGyH.png

Edited by DonPablo

I think ski manufacturers say titanium rather than titanal, because it is better for marketing. Titanal has a small amount of titanium in the aluminum alloy. I doubt that Blizzard made any real change

Edited by BobD