Note to New Members ×

BLADE board. First Look

alexgforce

sean...that really sucks about customs...but Id have to say that you'd have been better served just letting people take care of their own import duties all along. glad youre doing that now. VERY cool of your company to offer that service, but...unnecessary

if you're still around...this gforce shape...all this "EC" talk...is there any reason this board wouldnt suit someone who doesnt ride "EC" style, but still might like a wider board?

Wider board = easier handling, more forgiveness, less tiring riding ( end up the day not dead exhausted). Basically a wider board allows you to cruize, and if its also designed for EC, EC too... Its also able to carve normal carve but you have to allow it more edge to edge time... I'm pretty sure its a matter of time before racing goes back to wide boards by adapting their racing technique too..

N.

mostly on course layout though also on the format of racing...if they stay with the PGS and the course stays as turnny as it is than the faster edge to edge of a narrower board will likely stay around. the whole Kessler shape vs material thing is also an issue that is going to muddy the waters for the foreseeable future. The biggest advantage to a wider board IMHO is float...if you aren't on ice then a narrow board can be difficult to ride in deeper snow

if you're still around...this gforce shape...all this "EC" talk...is there any reason this board wouldnt suit someone who doesnt ride "EC" style, but still might like a wider board?

I don't see any reason you shouldn't like the board. If you prefer something this wide and it fits your style, stance angles, and foot, it makes sense.

D-Sub

Get a board width that will let you run what ever angles you want From 0-90!!!

Sean's Wide boards are Not Swoards. They ride well under any style If you remember my Swoard article that one of the things I disliked about the Swoard, It did not ride well under different styles. It ECed great but that was all I felt it did well.

Many of the newer wide shapes ride very well!

Many of the wide boards out there kill it all around also. But I think there is a point as a rider you loose some control as you angles decrease below 20 degrees in current hardboots, Not to say with out some modifications one could not ride 0f 0r and have fun with it.

My current Kessler is 20.8 at the waist And in my 25 shells I ride around 50f 45r in SL and GS

Go check out a Wide board they are lots of fun.

Billy

I bought a custom Donek that was also inspired by the Swoard. It's 165cm long, 20.6cm waist and 13m scr. I would expect the G-Force board to have a similar ride. Here's the post on my custom.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10782

Remember, it's not just a wide board, it's a wide board (at least for alpine) with a big sidecut radius and torsionally stiff. I don't think a person that rides a lot of icy conditions will like the wide board+big sidecut radius concept.

For icy conditions, I like a narrow board with small sidecut radius so you can make small carves, with fast edge to edge transitions. This makes it easier to control your speed in icier conditions.

Now for all-mountain riding, I think there is a general consensus that wider is better (Axxess, 4WD, Coil, Alp, etc.). But those boards are wide+small sidecut and I would guess torsionally less stiff than full carving boards.

I haven't tried my custom Donek in deep moguls yet. But I have ridden a Swoard in deep moguls and didn't like it. I think it was too stiff torsionally. So I would guess that my custom Donek and the G-Force boards wouldn't be the choice for doing moguls either. For moguls I prefer an Axxess, Alp or Coil.

I would like to try an all-mountain alpine board with a bigger sidecut radius.

coiler AM177 11.5sidecut?

You have to admite that pureboarding, Nils and the Swoard team have made a big impact on alpine riding.

With north american companies going into the EC market. Im going to predict your going to see a LOT more of EC in the future. :p

D-Sub

Go check out a Wide board they are lots of fun.

Billy

actually, rode a custom Prior 4WD a while back at mammoth...scored it earlier this season. its 23cm at the waist...I havent bothered to check the other specs

anyway...I really felt a lot more comfortable with lower angles (I think it was about 43/45 somewhere in there)...so Im curious about a wide "full carver" too...

For moguls I prefer an Axxess, Alp or Coil.

for moguls I just go the other direction...somewhere else :)

this 4WD I have...maybe Ill measure to try and find the specs (its the board in the middle):

Everyone really has there own style I like the low angles. I ride what ever the board will let me ride. It can be a really good time riding side ways at any angle. A alpine shape just gives you alpine proformance. And we all know how rad alpine shapes are! :biggthump

• 6 months later...
Hello guys!

Any news about the changes for the Blade this season (see Donek post above)?

Silver ;-)

Alexis has made a couple minor changes to the graphic and I think we're doing a better job of printing it. Aside from that, there are no changes to the boards. The specs should be up on our site shortly.

As Sean said we didn't feel we needed to make any major adjustments to the board. So far the feedback from riders was that the board handles great!

Hopefully we will get a lot of input from the 2007 SES. There will be test boards for people that want to have a go.

In the mean time here are some images of stuff

post-2667-141842220453_thumb.jpg

post-2667-141842220456_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Alex/Sean:

I would love to see some independent reviews on this board. Perhaps ship a loaner out to both EC and non-EC style riders - guys who ride Swoards, Axis, 4WDs and other wide boards. I think that would be the best way to introduce a totally new shape like this.

I can suggest a couple of riders myself (no, not me).

Henry

Hi Henry,

I agree we need some independent reviews on the Blade and we are planning to get demos in europe at some point. Our main concern at the moment is SES and we have put all our efforts in it since it is the biggest carving fest in the world. We will both going to be there with demos and hopefully will will get some people on them who will give us some feedback. After that we will be looking at europe.

Hi Henry,

I agree we need some independent reviews on the Blade and we are planning to get demos in europe at some point. Our main concern at the moment is SES and we have put all our efforts in it since it is the biggest carving fest in the world. We will both going to be there with demos and hopefully will will get some people on them who will give us some feedback. After that we will be looking at europe.

May be ECS 2007 in Zinal is a good opportunity to testride:ECS 2007 at Zinal, Switzerland

There were moreover than 150 participants overthere at the ECS 2006.

Like to testride one of those blades.

I have no doubt that the EC session in Zinal will be excelent unfortunately we cannot do both at this time. We decided this year to concentrate on the SES since we are just starting with the G-FORCE concept and there is a lot of work to be done. Hopefully next year we will put our efforts in Europe!