Note to New Members ×

Race Decks for SBX ??

Guest Alan

Hi Folks

I noticed this year that there are more "round tail" race decks on SBX tracks.

Any thoughts?

Do any of you have any athletes going in that direction, and if so, what builder and lengths are being used.

I ask because it looks like USASA courses are getting away from jumps and leaning towards banked turns and rollers.

Thanks for you input

Alan

I am somewhat confident in sayin g that there will be a clear definition of what is considered rounded soon. It was a point that was discussed repeatedly in coaches meetings. The overwhelming majority of the people there seemed to day they didn't want alpine involved in BX and that It is a Freestyle race. needless to say, that prompted some response from the alpine set. a clear definition should be forthcoming from the technical commision.

...they didn't want alpine involved in BX and that It is a Freestyle race. needless to say, that prompted some response from the alpine set....

Are they afraid to lose :o :o .

As everybody knows the World Cup Leader in SBX is on hardboot / Coiler board / Catek. ( JJ Anderson ). I was surprised also to see so many SBX racer at the olympics on hardboots.

Aside from the safety concern (corners in the eyes and ribs) It seemed that the biggest complaint was style...the same reason alpiners aren't allowed in the X Games...they don't like the way it looks on TV. It isn't the x games image they are looking for.

I'm with Fleck.

Free The Square Tails

This seems like a really stupid rule from USASA. I truly don't understand why coaches and officials wouldn't want Alpiners competing. Whatever makes the competition more exciting, close and competitive should be good, no? I think its complete BS that someone MIGHT get hurt by a square tail. I've seen a lot of BX crashes, but never one where a square tail would have made a difference. If we're after supreme safety, we need to eliminate all gap jumps, sharp edges, and most of all, side-by-side competition.

And Noah, post the pics. We wanna see. And pics of all that pow at Alpine you wrote about. Or is it Fleck who has the pics/vids?

Fleck could dress like Marc Frank Montoya and wear his boots like some guys from Pennsylvania with no buckles done up. That'd be freestylish enough with hardboots. Mayeb I should get a MADD bx board too. Do you think Madd would make some "Free the Square Tails" stickers? I'd put one everywhere, boards, my car, and at the resorts. That week at Tahoe with you guys was great, next year will be great. Why didn't we do pond skimming into the hot tub?