Note to New Members ×

Skwal and waterskiing

Badger

I wonder how many of you skwalers/ carvers ski seriously around the buoys when the snow season is over. The technique of riding a skwal and slaloming with a waterski is practically the same. I have noticed that riding the skwal in the winter actually improves the slaloming with my Connelly once the lakes de-ice ( and I can tell that's late here in Finland). If you have some experience on a slalom waterski you don't seek for any angles to the skwal bindings as that changes the sport from "winter waterskiing" to boarding.

As a life-long waterskier, when I first saw a Skwal, I saw the similarities between the two sports and bought one without ever seeing one in-person. Can't say if it helps my waterskiing or not, but my waterskiing background helped me get started on the Skwal. Also coming from snow-skiing as a Winter sport, it is a much easier transition to be facing almost straight down the board (87.5 front/85 rear).

Happy carving,

post-440-141842216948_thumb.jpg

I've been riding Skwal for years, but never considered using my skills on the waterski. I would guess the pull of the rope is quite different from gravity?

It's weird though, waterskiiers have known and worked the advantages and sensations of putting all pressure on one edge, but slalom skiers just refuse to see this.

In slalom waterskiing the boat is not pulling you when you make the turn = the "carve" is very similair to one on a skwal and so it the edge-to-edge change. The rope is needed in between the curves. I would think more slalom waterskiers would ride a skwal if they knew how close it comes to buoy picking

my first run on the skwal was not unlike getting a little to much slack in the rope. I grew up waterskiing on lake Chelan every morning but haven't done it in years. The skwal brought it all back. Its actually better than on the water because you don't need the rope its less work.