Note to New Members ×

Tunes

Brian

I ride with music most of the time, but it is turned down enough to hear other riders on the runs.

The first rule learned, before starting the run, check to see if there are other riders uphill. During the run always look up hill on turns, especially heelside. Riding w/ music while digging trenches is very cool.

I was just thinking today about what other carvers might be listening to this season. I don't listen to music while carving, but I do like to rock coming and going to the mtn. My favorite band these days is the Smashing Pumpkins. Their Video Hits DVD is a great disc. Nirvana, Offspring, Green Day and Led Zep are also in my CD quiver.

Rock on...

Reverend Horton Heat, Audioslave, Johnny Cash, Police, Paladins, Soundtrack to Dazed and Confused. I dont ride with tunes only cause I like to be fully aware of the surroundings. I dont want to get sued by some Knob because HE ran into me but blames my lack of attention , yadda yadda,

Guest woodman

I do listen to music while riding. I get different responses from different people on the subject, but I believe I'm just as safe with my tunes on as if I didn't listen to music while I ride. We've got a couple of young riders and skiers on our local hill that are deaf and they don't seem to have any trouble with not being able to "hear" what's going on around them. I won't deny that hearing is another weapon to use in keeping safe on the slopes for yourself and others involved around you, but I think with the proper mind set and the use of something I learned in my tactical classes called "situational awareness" I believe I'm not creating a dangerous environment for myself or others around me. I burn my own cd's and listen to anything from Nickleback/3 Doors down/Staind to Boston/Tesla/Journey while I ride. Take into account the fact that I'm a forty year old guy, and it makes for some interesting conversations when I'm riding the lift with people who've never seen a guy wearing Alpine gear/MP3 player/earphones!!! Do what feels best, just keep your head out of your rearend and respect the mountain and others that use it.

Good Carving,

Woodman

On the way to the hill: Tire chains backing up some smooth Issac Hayes in the 8-track, a can of crazy eight between my legs and the heater on high with the windows down. Oh yeah. I'll be cooking with gas.

I don't have an MP-3 player yet but when I do it'll probably be stuffed with Mermen and Man or Astroman? And maybe the soundtrack from Ride the Edge. I'll just put the audio into a big MP-3. Man, that'll be solid.

No tunes, as I can't hear voices in my head then! :D

Although I like to listen music (mostly prog-rock, fusion, latest favourites are projects with Roine Stolt participation: Karmakanic, Tangent, Kaipa, Flower Kings), I don't like to do it during riding 'cos it seems to be unsafe. Instead I prefer to hear snowflake falling, wind humming, lift cracking, sounds from other riders, and most importantly this scraping sound from my board during sideslipping, telling me that I'm misusing my board's edges!

I generally turn it off or way down when riding I am a safety fanatic because I have seen some really bad injuries at ski resorts over the years so I just think every little bit that helps you avoid that hot dogger in a dayglo one peice is important

as for what I like The Pixies, NOFX, Alman Brothers band, Doc Martin, Santana or just about anything else except Phish <--- the most annoying music on the planet

god bless my ipod