Note to New Members ×

How do you start racing?

mopoet178

I've been hardbooting for 2 years and want to race the '06/'07 season. Who do I call? What do I need to do? How does this system work? I am in colorado and can go anywhere within reasonable time (2-3 hours) of Denver. So who has the programs? What organizations do races for alpine snowboarding? Please point me in the right direction.

mopoet178

As Randy says: USASA. It is your best option and they are very open to amateurs. They even let me represent my country in the USA;) Anyway it did not matter as much as meeting folks and trying how much I could improve when comparing with them on race course. the most fun I seemed to have during regular practice sessions between races.

USASA has regions. Try to find your closest region to compete on their website so, you will not need to travel to some remote locations. Some guys get lucky and can pick region as they may be close. In first season I was racing in two regions... but you can qualify for US Championships only from one - your primary I guess.

...for all the information. I did some more research and figured that training has a fairly hefty price. Is it possible to do races without training/coaching? If so, I think I might want to race (and probably loose) to get the feel for if I want to commit that far.

your closest USASA region would be the Copper mountain one. It's ok to race without a coach. since a lot of ski areas here have public nastar courses you could always run gates there on your own to practice. race camps are also an option, they are usually cheaper than having a coach for the whole season, and it will give you tips and things to work on on your own.

USASA and NASTAR are both good choices. I'm a big fan of the latter and have attended the Nationals the past three years. They return to Steamboat in 2007.

Try 'em both. Once you catch the racing bug, it won't let go of you!

why continue th pi$$ing match here? give up on it man. say something positive or go somewhere else. we dont need you trashing every thread on BOL. Grow up or go away.

Grow up? Say something positive? That's ironic you would say that given the person in question.

as for testing the likes of Phil, DFJ and others... you are simply showing your lack of respect for the game. phil has paid his dues, and has every right to make suggestions to make things work. perhaps you didnt realize how much he has given to the usasa without ever asking in return... other than a late registration or an early awards ceremony?? no big deal.

i can see your frustration in missing the podium by 1 spot. Hell, i'd rather finish 10th than 4th. I know this. look at Master Men's Slalom results from this year. I'm not complaining. Some "old pro" that used to race FIS took my position? I think not. he's a regular guy like me who still loves the sport.

Do you think Jimmy is complaining? He's not. I'll tell you why... He's been doing this sport since the early years (1988). I spoke to him today. It's no big deal. racing is a series of highs and lows. of joys and pitfalls. character is how you deal with each high and each low. Jimmy has character- and RESPECT from his fellow racers, coaches and peers. Whining and complaining will only make it harder for you gain the respect of your fellow racers. Something to think about when you break a boot at the top of the course, need a screw driver to adjust a binding, or realize the rotobrush is back at the room (maybe even in reno if your Phil)...

Remember- we all race for a reason. That reason is simple. In racing there are no excuses. you race, you get a time- no subjectivity. that's the real deal. you're time was slower. your position was lower. end of story.

there's so much more to snowboard racing when you realize that winning is only 90% of the game. we all want to win. if you dont want to win, why show up. keep in mind, the other 10% out there is alot of fun. I can only hope you get to enjoy it someday. the 14 year old kids on my team already understand this concept. I hope a grown man like yourself will too. while winning is a focus, it cannot be the only thing your focused on, or you will be one disappointed racer. for every race each one of us has won, there's 10 out there we've lost. it's what is learned, and who you've met along the way that keeps you coming back.

you can continue to pick apart what each and every person is saying, you can continue to quote parts of a reply, but my god man- you're old. it's about fun times. If you choose to continue your USASA trials and tribulations, perhaps you need to realize this kind of stuff can happen. Old men that used to rip, can- and will come out of the wood work and kick some a$$ from time to time. this time it was on your nickel. that's racing.

Good luck to the guy who originally posted a question about racing. Hopefully you will not have to deal with guys like Wavechaser crying about losing. If you do, may i suggest finding other racers who get the concept to hang out with at the top of the hill. You'll have a much better time, and maybe even get an invite to join the "gestapo" or "our little club."

Enough.

...last time, I promise.

Ok, Neil, you're right. This discussion started off as me asking about a pro racin in the amateur divisions - simple as that. It was. as I stated, my first year racing USASA and I was interested to know the rules and peoples ideas on the subject. Instead of mature discussion, what I got was people jumping down my throat and a bunch of name calling. Just because I'm new at USASA racing doesn't mean I can't have an opinion and ask questions. Mark Stegall was the only one who responded to me with some ideas and without basically calling me an idiot. Add to that that there have been some outside things in my life which are causing a ton of stress, and you got the venting and BS that followed. I apologize for that. But I also don't feel I was the only one acting like a child here.

I have raced competitively in other sports my whole life - sailing, skiing, windsurfing, kayaking...so I'm not exactly new to competition, but you are right - I'm old enough to know better. I've been snowboarding since 1988 and was a skier for 20 years before that so while new at racing in USASA, I've enjoyed the sport plenty, and still do. I agree I'd rather finish tenth than fourth - it was just really frustrating and when someone pointed out after the event who the rider in question was, and that it was unfair, I started thinking about it, unfortunately. But I still wouldn't think Jimmy would be complaining given his results, who would?

I'll tell you this, I'll never stay in Reno again...I got zero sleep those two nights before my events due to all-nighter going on in the adjacent rooms...and other things happened on the trip to make it a LOT less than a fun time, so that probably contributed to my negative attitude. At least I didn't break a boot, that would have been perfect. I get your point about respect being important at a time like that - and I'd like to make a public apology to Phil and Chuck, I'm sorry this degenrated into what it did. I'm just an ultra-competitive person, for good or bad, and given my sucess in other sports, I guess I just expect it in this one...as friends have pointed out, 4th in my first USASA Nationals is nothing to be ashamed about, to which I usually grumble and grunt. I really did enjoy the races themselves, and most of the people there. I guess I kind of snapped when someone suggested I got rooked out of a medal and then when several people basically suggested I was an idiot for even suggesting this, I stupidly decided to go off on them. Such is competitive nature.

Lat December, when I found I could actually get a better time than John Kelley down a course, and he was last years overall co-champ with Jimmy, I just figured by the end of the year I'd be right in there. Might have been without a slight skid in one run of each alpine discipline at Nats. - but again you are correct Neil, that's racing. I am going to go race my kayak now (got 4th at USCA Nationals last summer there too but in an Open class - grrrrrr) - 26 mile kayak races are a great place to get out aggression, better than the bomber forums ;) . And the last thing you are right about - Enough is enough. Thanks for your post Neil...really.

:biggthump

PS - apology issued to DD elsewhere.

why continue th pi$$ing match here? give up on it man. say something positive or go somewhere else. we dont need you trashing every thread on BOL. Grow up or go away.

...this was Neil's valid response to a post of mine which has since been deleted from this thread, in case what he said seems out of place, it is NOT a response to mopoet178's post directly above it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...it takes a big man to say that you're wrong. Anywhooo....

Even though I only had one season on my board so far, I'm looking to do USASA, either boarder X or slalom in the next year. This next season will be my only year to really give it a full go because school gets too tough to go to the mountain often. I can't wait to start up. Also doing the local nastar for kicks too. Good luck mopoet!