Note to New Members ×

A Memorial

Phil

My grandfather, John "Jack" Hengle. Passed away right at the beginning of the snowboard season this year. We called him Pop. Pop has been an inspiration to me all of my life. He was a positive male role model that I needed when I lacked one elsewhere. We were very close.

Pop%201.jpg

Pop was born in 1921. His family was pretty much fresh off of the boat from Austria. He married my grandmother, the late Vivian Lucille Hengle, in 1942. He made the rounds in WWII as part of the 13th Ordnance disposal. The above is a pic that he sent my Grandmother during the war.

I am still reeling from his death. The day after he died, I called the Martins at Donek so that I could memorialize him in a way that would be very personal to me. I did not really "need" any boards, but I "wanted" a wider FR board. I ordered a Sasquatch 170 personalized with the words "Thanks Pop" oriented so that whenever I do a backside air or a toeside carve, that is what everyone will see.

I never get a chance to go out in front of a camera, so it took me until the end of the season before I finally got five minutes to do a photo shoot (literally). Here is the result.

The "L.J." Method ;)

Pop%202.jpg

Whenever I concentrate on something, I stick my tongue out (like above). Pop would always ask "Does that tongue help?" It is only fitting that I would have my tongue out in this pic.

Pop%203.jpg

BTW - thanks to the Martins @ Donek for their help w/the board.

Also, thanks Dave E. for the photos.

Thanks so much for your grandfather's help as part of the "Greatest Generation". So few of the Mexican immigrants here(both legal and illegal) are loving enough of their new country to speak the new language, let alone go to war for their new country against their old countrymen...props to your grandfather and sorry for your loss...