Note to New Members ×

Legends of Snowboarding Vintage Snowboard Race

Randy T.

Check this out, lots of old school names are going to be there.

Donner Ski Ranch

Is anyone else going? I would love to enter the public race but I don't think my Hooger Booger Grinder is old enough.

All boards and bindings must be from 1989 or earlier. The only thing I have is a Burton Elite 150 that is too short for me but my friend Jami might enter with it.

wish I could make it - Bryan's pics from last year were sweet! (plus I think he got to race against Jacoby on a 1711 blade...)

There were a bunch of interviews in "First Descent" that I think were recorded at last year's race.

hmmm...$300 plane ticket to Reno...rental car...hmmm..

anyone got some snowpros for my Lib Tech Inner-Course?

tempting...very tempting

I remember seeing those pics last year and Brian did mention the interviews in the movie.

I do have another old board at home that might qualify because I think it is pre inserts, but like you don't have any bindings old enough except fot the burton straps that will go on the elite.

Let me know if you decide to come up.

Hi Brian,

I will be there and look forward to meeting you. I will either be on my yellow rossi 184 or an arbor a-frame, so holler if you see me.

Maybe you have a pre 89 board and bindings to sell so I can enter this event next year? We'll have to talk.

Randy

Look forward to it!

I only brought the one board to race on. Plenty of boards on Ebay will meet the pre-89 requirement. Cheap!

I would take your 150cm and run it anyway. It's all about the fun. Plenty of 150cm boards there last year. Burton Backhill (no edges, no p-tex) see the "Legends Galleries" for more examples. Shawn Palmer is going to be honored at the closing banquet. Everyone was so kind and welcoming last year. Very much made me feel a part. Be there!

Bryan

Hey Brian,

Do you think that Elite 150 will handle my 225lbs. without breaking? I just might give it a run. Also if you see this in time I still need to find some screws that fit the inserts on that board. Any idea what size those are? The screws from another board thread in about a turn and stop so it seems like i'm trying to mate metric with standard. :confused:

If you try to race an Elite 150 on the original "inserts" at 225 lbs you'll pull the binding first hard turn. Those "inserts" are just helicoils in the foam core, they have a pull strength of approximately 0. I ended up having to T-nut mine back in the day.

Have fun everyone, wish I could go... I'd dust off my old Gnu Race Room.

boy, am i green with envy. did mike jacoby manage to recover that prized helmet of his ?

EDIT: Noah as in Noah who? Salasnek? I doubt it ?

EDIT[2]: Yes it is!!! SWEET!!! God, I hope you get the dates far in advance for this event for next winter so I can ensure I got the time off from work to attend, oldsnowboards.com!!

EDIT[3]: Did Tara Everhardt and Ashlid Loftus attend? Or better yet, who were the women that attend?

Byran,

Nice photos in the gallery. I have a "old snowboard" question? What is the sims model that looks like a skateboard attached to a plastic board in your gallery page "12" ? That was one of the first things I rode when I started.

Jim

Byran,

Nice photos in the gallery. I have a "old snowboard" question? What is the sims model that looks like a skateboard attached to a plastic board in your gallery page "12" ? That was one of the first things I rode when I started.

Jim

Hi Jim, Commonly referred to as the "Lonnie Toft" pro model. Tom ended up buying a ton of these yellow plastic decks and putting the Lonnie Toft 10" skate deck on them and marketing them as his first snowboards (called a skiboard at the time) The yellow plastic skiboard was a direct decendent of the "Yellow Banana". He was working on much more sophisticated boards at the time, however he wanted to be in the market so they jumped in with the "Lonnie Toft". Lonnie was one of the top pro skateboarders at the time. You could buy it with or without the skatedeck , often from the back of skateboard mags or even bmx mags. Bryan

boy, am i green with envy. did mike jacoby manage to recover that prized helmet of his ?

EDIT: Noah as in Noah who? Salasnek? I doubt it ?

EDIT[2]: Yes it is!!! SWEET!!! God, I hope you get the dates far in advance for this event for next winter so I can ensure I got the time off from work to attend, oldsnowboards.com!!

EDIT[3]: Did Tara Everhardt and Ashlid Loftus attend? Or better yet, who were the women that attend?

Mike's helmet has NOT turned up yet. Ebayers , please keep an eye out for it.

Yes, Noah Salasnek! Very cool indeed!

No, there were several women who attended. See galleries for details.

Last year , Tina B was there. See gallery for photos.

I will be happy to announce the date as soon as I know it.

I am not sure how to describe how much fun it is to ride around with Legends like Tom Burt , Jeff Grell, Mike Jacoby, on and on and on. They love snowboarding and have lived incredible lives. Simply a BLAST!!