Note to New Members ×

First Descent

tex1230

Anyone seen it? I just watched it for the first time...great backcountry riding but I have 2 major problems...

Farmer should shut the **** up when he's not riding. His style and skill make him look like the MAN when he's riding, but every time he opens his mouth off snow he just sounds like a moron...

Oh, Yeah, and 38 year old Hick looking white guys Just shouldn't attempt to rap...It just looks STOOOPId :smashfrea

Oh Yeah, Shawn, if you read this there is no way in hell you're gonna sell a 203cm non-custom for $900+ when a proven board (Tanker 200) is like $100 CHEAPER...nice business plan.

Second Problem: The total blow-off of hardbooting...like "yeah, there were these racers, but everybody hated them"...Coming from a couple of Tahoe guys...you must be kidding me that they don't acknowledge Damian, Jim Zellers, Tom Burt, and the Hatchet brothers, all of whom opened up insane new backcountry lines on hardboots...

Rant will continue..

(Excuse the anger - 5th day on steroids and th rage is really kicking in...)

7601???damn that was evil looking and he is the man, I liked the part where he says pushing your limits isn't always good...like when they showed him making the mistake of going left off the ridge into that little chute that was way too tall.

Farmer has always been mouthy, that isn't why people liked him

• 1 month later...

I got 2 copies of it last night and I think it rocks.Enjoy it for what it is.Plenty of hardboot/alpine/racing considering it's a major motion picture.Farmer getting schooled on the big kicker was great.Snowboarding, like skateboarding has many disciplines and they're ALL GOOD !Take another look at the crazy drop Terje does on 7601, pretty amazing. I think Mack Dogg had plenty to do with the production but I can't confirm any o' dat shizzle. :cool:

The snowboard history overview was informative and fun. Also I loved those views over the mountains. + ofcourse Terje's ride.

But what ruined this picture was the (American?) way it was made. Like introducing everybody for 10 minutes where they all can say how excited they are... how really excited they are... and they REALLY appreciate this chance etc. It's like playing the same tape time five times. I think it would have been better if it hadn't tried to pull all the characters in. Most of them didn't have that much to show anyway.

+ more hardboot footage would have been great! I guess only a fan even noticed/remembers the few clips of hardbooting.

Farmer was really, really nice in person, ton of spirit and a blast to ride with! Plenty to like about the film and a few things that might have been presented better.

The background interviews of Tom Sims and a few others were done at the 2005 "Legends" event.

I will definitly watch the DVD a few more times.

Short clip of the "Farm" after his run at Legends.

He definitely walks the walk.

The film crew from First Decent took allot of video outside at the race and I would hope some of that footage woudl show up some day. It did not make it into the film.

Dude, are you hurt? Roids? Tell me it is not for body building!!!

Quote uku :"But what ruined this picture was the (American?) way it was made. Like introducing everybody for 10 minutes where they all can say how excited they are... how really excited they are... and they REALLY appreciate this chance etc. It's like playing the same tape time five times. I think it would have been better if it hadn't tried to pull all the characters in. Most of them didn't have that much to show anyway."

I had forgotten how annoying all that touchy feely stuff in American sports films used to seem. I remember watching US white water kayaking films from the eighties and sayiing "why don't they just run the damn rapid insead of turning every rapid scout into Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics".

I now realise it's just the style of nearly all US TV and Documentary filming (endless fluff) and you get used to it.

BobD

Dude, are you hurt? Roids? Tell me it is not for body building!!!

not hurt, and not body building - had a severe asthma episode a couple of months ago when I posted this, docs like to give you mega doses of steroids to supress the immune reaction...but it has some interesting side effects like turning you into a serious a$$hole for about a week after you're done.

Farmer seems to have mellowed with age. I knew him when I lived in Tahoe years ago...

I guess my overall impression of him is skewed by some of the stuff I saw him doing off the mountain. Great rider, but not a guy I'd ever choose to associate with off the mountain.

(Minor example: Him & Perata standing at the door of my house at a Halloween party charging admission...and neither one of them lived there or put $ in for the party...and kept the $ they grabbed at the door for themselves...kinda scummy, no?)

nice segway from 'roids to farmer's behaving badly.Similiar story, a couple of guys I knew in Oahu, Keith and Jeff, from wakeboarding/partying used to live in Breck for years.They knew, among many others, Dave Englund ( of Jackass semi fame and I guess he was a semi famous snowboarder as well)and said he was a complete prick.Something about borrowing a car for a beer run, totalling it in the process and basically just chalking it up to "crazy fun".There were many other stories about fireworks and house parties shut down by the cops and it just pisses me off when drunks think it's funny and cool to trash people's stuff and then make a big joke out of it.Where I come from those people get whaled on and sent home licking thier wounds.

Did you notice that they included Perata smashing himself into those rocks in the movie ? There was a video from way back where he talks about mild brain damage and major memory loss as a result, like that's cool. He was close to ending up a vegetable from that crash. :freak3:

not hurt, and not body building - had a severe asthma episode a couple of months ago when I posted this, docs like to give you mega doses of steroids to supress the immune reaction...but it has some interesting side effects like turning you into a serious a$$hole for about a week after you're done.

not necessarily-I took about 2 months of steroid pulses with a bad flare in 2002.....

I mostly wanted to eat.....

But then I'm also a lover not a fighter :biggthump

it seemed to show more about shaun white than riding in AK. i'm glad it showed hannah teter getting schooled and not being able to jump in and ride the moutains. I think it was a good reality check and will hopefully keep the park rats from running to AK and getting in waaay over their heads.