Note to New Members ×

I dont know...

DiveBomber

maybe im just not doing it in the right place...

When i think of carving i think of taking a long full hard arc, trying to lay it down, but i just end up cutting back up the hill, its like i need a mile wide slope. I guess its like being on a motorcycle trying to find a nice curvy road, with curves that arent too tight but enough where you can start to lean it over.

Guest WC Rider

Hey,

"If i tried to reach for the inside edge with my outside hand it seemed to work sorta, but i still felt like i was trying to sit down, like my lower torso wasnt square with the board even when my shoulders were"

without pictures, its hard to say exactly what could be the issue... but you wont be able to really lay them down until there's some good speed built up... you'll want a nice blue run at least, and I generally straight-line for a bit to get up to speed...

anyhow, I thought I'd load some pics you may not have seen of various heelside turns.... the form may not be perfect by race standards, but these guys can rail...

colin4.jpg

kevin3.jpg

note the shoulders are square to the board, somewhat level with the hill... etc, etc...

good luck

maybe im just not doing it in the right place...

When i think of carving i think of taking a long full hard arc, trying to lay it down, but i just end up cutting back up the hill, its like i need a mile wide slope.

Dive, I had the same feeling at one time...what board are you riding? You might want to consider getting a board with a larger sidecut. I rode a Donek FC1 179 earlier this season (11.2m sidecut) and felt like it hooked way too much when I pressured it. then I got my rossi 184 (15m sidecut) and felt like I'd found "the" board for long lazy arcs...

you do trade some maneuverability when you go to a big sidecut though, so be warned.

Dive, I had the same feeling at one time...what board are you riding? You might want to consider getting a board with a larger sidecut. I rode a Donek FC1 179 earlier this season (11.2m sidecut) and felt like it hooked way too much when I pressured it. then I got my rossi 184 (15m sidecut) and felt like I'd found "the" board for long lazy arcs...

you do trade some maneuverability when you go to a big sidecut though, so be warned.

I took a demo run on a FC 179 a couple years back and found it hooky as well... but since I also rode the 171 (same sidercut, 11.2m) that same day and found it "not so hooky", I know it's not just the sidecut.

The FC 179 has a lot of edge length for it's sidecut - in other words, a lot of sidecut depth. It also has no taper, meaning the sidecut depth from the nose to the waist is equal to that from the waist to the nose.

Experts - please correct me if necessary - but seems to me that a board with a deep "front-end sidecut depth" is going to start the turn hard, and a board with a deep "back-end" sidecut depth is gomg to take more effort to get out of the turn. The FC 179 is very deep in both respects.

I am thinking this is what makes boards like a Coiler PR 184 (not PR II 184) so easy to ride. It's got a moderately tight sidecut for it's length, but plenty of taper. The deeper front-end sidecut depth makes it easy to hook up, but the taper reduces the back-end sidecut depth which makes it release into the next turn ver easily as well. Easy start, easy finish. That board practically rides itself.

Again, experts, please correct me as necessary...

don't worry, i had the same feeling. It takes time and the right conditions. it seems like you have had more experience than me but it all depends on how many times you go out to board. How many times have you been on the slope? I picked it all up pretty fast because I used to ski alot.

I used to think i needed a mile wide trail then as time went on, i got better at carving in narrower and narrower trails. I am now able to control the size of my arc by applying more pressure on the front. Generally, my carves are the same size because thats how the board is designed, at least i think thats how it is.

Correct me if i'm wrong (most likely i am) but you can have smaller arcs by going faster and flexing the board more. I do generally prefer making long sweeping carves so i don't really flex my board too much.

Lastly, it really is more in the shoulders than anything. i still can't lay down like some of the guys i rode with but that was because i was keeping my shoulders facing down the hill like a skier.

Gleb: I have the exact same problem, I've always learned to keep my shoulders facing down line. Im in a rut and I can't get out of it.

Jack: I ride the 184PR II and it practically rides itself too. But the sidecut is a bit big for my self preservation instincts to like. Is the 184 PR really that much better for that instinct? Im shopping for a new board :freak3:

And to the OP: Try getting more speed. The turns won't be your long lazy arcs, but you will be able to turn tighter. Try it on wider trails first to get comfortable, then move to narrower and narrower trails, soon you won't be able to tell the difference between 500 feet wide and 50 feet wide. Its really cool to watch yourself progress like that. I watch it everytime I go out :)

________

DIGITAL VAPORIZERS

I ride the 184PR II and it practically rides itself too. But the sidecut is a bit big for my self preservation instincts to like. Is the 184 PR really that much better for that instinct? Im shopping for a new board

All depends on where you ride and how big and aggressive you are? For me, the Donek FC 175 (11.75m scr) is comfy for me on pretty much any trail. 2 years ago the PR184 (13.2) was intimidating when I was on any trail that had 2 out of 3 of { steep, hardpack, narrow }. Probably still would be today with all 3 at once.