Note to New Members ×

Going to Roma!!!!Yes !!Italy!!!!

eastcoasticerider

Hey you snow goons..I know youre not exactly the high rennaissance types but waht do I do with myself in Rome?..Im going to visit my daughter who is doing a semester over there in Landscape Architecture with PennState......Im doing a day trip to the Uffizi gallery in Florence

its older than America even!!!!Its a real time machine .......snow and ice melting fast.....early spring conditions....eastscoaster

Eat gelato any chance you get. Stay away from restaurants near tourist areas. If you get a crappy meal, do not hesitate to complain and send it back or ask for the owner. They assume us North Americans all eat at McDonalds.

See the Coliseum but watch out for the crazy, predatory "centurions". Visit the Spanish Steps and check out the shops there but don't think for a minute that anything is affordable.

Rent a car and visit the small hilltop villages in Umbria and Tuscany. Take barf bags for your companion if he/she is prone to motion sickness. Try to find out the schedules for the weekly markets. Buy wine, bread and stinky cheese and have a curb-side picnic. Learn to eat dinner at 9:00PM and take 2 hours doing so.

For laughs, ask for a coffee "to-go".

In Florence, climb the Duomo. Visit the Ponte Vecchio. People watch.

#1 thing - don't rush around trying to see everything. Take your time, enjoy and try to go a little native. Remember - "When in Rome..."

You lucky thing!

Night in Rome - see the town on foot, it's fantastic. Wrap up warm, have a stand up coffee, and then start walking. A great place to start might be to catch the train or the 64 bus to the Vatican, see St Peter's by dusk, walk down towards the river and the Castel D'Angelo and the Vittorio Emmanuel statue. Cross the bridge to get back into the main part of the city. The 64 bus can be picked up again here and can run you back towards the centre of the city, or get a taxi to take you to the Spanish Steps. From there with a map it's really easy to walk to the Trevi Fountain ( a must see at night), Piazza Navona. the Pantheon, Campo de Fiori, and lots of nightlife along the way. One should make sure to refuel often with gelato and antipasti, and any alcohol that takes your fancy. We did this with out tour group and had a total blast. Have a great time!

awesome city, wish i had more time there. The Vatican (I'm not even Christian) is insane. Def. the Trevi Ftn is a major attraction, as is the collesium. tons of hotties on their little mopeds...they drive Nuts in Rome though! practice your jaywalking... Be wary round the train station (like many European cities, some shady folks) I was there in '99 though

Barry

ps check out the lonely planet (or similar) rome/italy version book from your local library and bring it with you. save some dough and the books are great