Note to New Members ×

Damn Burton plates

Crashtopher

Time 2 days ago

Snow conditions: GROOMED CORDUROY

So, my brother and I got out on the mountian at 8am on our all- mountain boards (Me: Arbor Element 169, Burton Missions, Salomon Malamutes) and found the most beautiful groomed trails. I waited till the afternoon when the snow softened up before pulling out my freecarve board (Alp 170, Burton plates, Burton Boiler HB's). I buckled into the board about 100 feet from the base of the lift. I ddin't even get in one decent carve, since when I went to unbuckle my rear boot to get on the lift, the plastic handle on the toe bail snapped off in my hand. I now had no way to work the binding. I was really pumped to get in some big fat carves on that yummy snow, but a dead rear binding ixnayed that idea. I wound up carving on teh Arbor for teh rest of the day. FYI, Salomon Malamutes make softboot carving a reality, I highly recommend them.

Moral of the story: Plastic parts on plate bindings will break. My order for a pair of TD2's goes in today, hopefully I'll have them in time for my trip to Killington in 2 weeks.

If simply wearing them "A little snug" would cause a failure, imagine what riding them would do.

the handle is not designed to bear any weight or force per se. If you have them adjusted to tight you have to exert a lot of said force to get them on and off. the part that didn't break is the part bearing the brunt of the riding forces. Don't get me wrong metal is better but one should use any equipment within its design perameters. I won't be doing outside loops in a king pin style ultralight for instance. It flies just fine but isn't designed for outside loops.

my order for my td2s goes in when i sell my burton race plates. The front plastic latch broke from a fall and today, the front released on me. As i posted in the other burton plate thread, it was just a regular fall and the binding released. I now actually think that maybe i fell because the binding released. No idea, it happend to fast.

Dr. D, what you are describing is a LOT snug. The handle does take some load. What he had was probably an existing un-noticed crack in the toe lever that broke, luckily, before he took off down the hill. Breaking the handle could cause the boot to come out if enough preload was lost in the front bail.

possibly back off the set screw a little, that should keep you in

I hate to say it but I have come out of burton plates less than any other bindings, that include cateks and bombers

with 150 or so days on burton and about the same on catek WCs I remember coming out of the cateks at least three or four times, burton race would be zero

burton physics I have exploded but thats a different issue

i'll give it a try again in the grimey conditions we're getting now. I'm going as much as possible even though getting low is hard because of the in consistent snow. I almost ended up in the trees twice:nono:

I hope that fixes it. They seem pretty solid, maybe just bad luck.

I have only ever had a problem with race plates when wearing Raichle SBs. I've never had a release with Oxygen, Burton, or Head boots. I think the SB shell is much softer and compresses under load (hitting a bump mid turn), allowing either the toe or the heel out of the bail.

BobD