Note to New Members ×

Very late season trip ideas

acitarella

I'm looking to make a late season trip, probably April 15-20th, and was wondering if that was a realistic option around Salt Lake City.

I’m wondering:

* What places are still open? I think some close on the 16th.

* What the snow’s like? Is there any? Would I also need to bring my freeride board?

* Any recommendations on places to stay? Cheap, but hospitable/sanitary enough that my wife doesn’t disown me.

Thanks.

All of the aforementioned is true, not doubt. I've spent a few days in mid-april at Arapahoe and it was fantastic. No crowds, good deal, little in way of attitudes and great weather.

I've been to A-Basin as late as the end of June with decent conditions.

Memorial day weekend can be great too!

check out big mountain its a short flight from SLC That's the end of the season here but Depending they should be open and the whole deal would be cheaper. we are at 110% snowpack this year and its snowing like no tomorrow up there right now. huge terain park and a brand new olympic quality halfpipe. 20 foot side walls for the freeride in you. spring groom is nearly always hero snow. bigmtn.com

Guest Valerie in Utah

Snowbird will still be open for sure. You can check skiutah.com around that time to see who else is open (often Brighton is also open later). Also on the skiutah site, there's a "hot deals" section that might have some pass/lodging cheap combos.

Staying anywhere downtown Salt Lake City is cheaper than staying right at the resort. Try pricing places like the Best Western -- they used to have a free ski shuttle.

Expect frozen/ice in the AM, and slush in the afternoon. But groomers in the early morning should be great for carving. But you never know -- we sometimes get a decent snow dump in the mountains in late April.

One 4th of July, I was 'boarding at Snowbird and it was SNOWING on us!