Note to New Members ×

Want to get into Alpine, Need Help

Guest Misfit27

Guest Misfit27

Hello all,

I'm an expert freeride/freestyle rider and I really want to start riding alpine (I'm old enough to get out of the park while I can still walk). I bought a pair of Oxygen Krypton boots on ebay, and need advice on what else I should buy (size of board, etc). I'm 6'2, about 190lbs. I don't want to make learning impossible, but also don't want something I'll outgrow in two seasons. Also, as I'm moving to Colorado, I have a pretty limited budget (at least until I'm sure I like the sport). I like to ride powder, groomers, backcountry is my favorite. Any advice on size, make, model and how to start? I also have a post in the Want to Buy section, but if anybody has a board and or bindings that fit the mold, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

I just spent my second day, first real day really, on my new Alpine set up and I am in love with snowboarding all over again! Get your boots fit if they have thermo-fit style liners. As always boot comfort, no heel lift etc. is paramount. I would spend the money for some TD2's OR Catek OS2's I am your size and you don't want to be wondering mid turn 10 feet from a tree, "Is this binding gonna hold?" The steps in type are more convenient, check if your boots are compatible for the intec heels, but also consider that the standard heel bail type have more lateral (Noes to tail) flex built in to the design. AS for a board, I picked up a good used GS/Slalom board a 173 Nidecker Tornado 2002 I think! It feels perfect for learning. I can skid turns easily in traffic, narrow stuff, or too sttep for my ability stuff. But when I get it all lined up and lay it over it rewards the input with some good G's So my point...read up! Gear reviews, Welcome center, and you will be able to find a versastile, right size, somewhat forgiving hand me down carve/race board that can turn you on to the power of carving. Oh yeah I have been boarding for 20 years. I took the second snowbaord lesson of my life for my first 3 hours of carving, best time ever spent! Cleaned up my free riding, and I can self correct my carving, and ride and carve with confidence. Good Luck, Welcome aboard (pun intended) and See ya on a rail, not in the park though! :lurk:

Guest Misfit27

That's exactly what I want is to fall in love with the sport all over again. I LOVE boarding, but I've gotten to the point where in order to challenge myself, I have to risk my life. Thanks for the advice, the (base killing) rails in the park will be an easy habbit to quit.

Guest Misfit27

Hey Bro,

I'm moving to Denver 3/31. Living in NJ right now (from FL originally) and counting down the seconds... 42 of them just went by.

Brian

Guest Misfit27
Misfit27,

Before you leave for Colorado, why not ride with us Windham, NY.?? I have some boards and bindings you can borrow.

Bricky

That would be great. thanks. When are you riding next? I know Wyndham well, I was part of the Adaptive Ski program for a short time.

Brian

That's exactly what I want is to fall in love with the sport all over again. I LOVE boarding, but I've gotten to the point where in order to challenge myself, I have to risk my life.

Heh heh, soon enough, you'll hit the same point in alpine riding. "I can carve down everything on the mountain now except that one double black..."

Heh heh, soon enough, you'll hit the same point in alpine riding. "I can carve down everything on the mountain now except that one double black..."

What's that? Dan is going to go rail-to-rail down Memorial Bowl? (Next time they groom it, that is... I hear MHM is being super-chincy this year)

:ices_ange

I'm about your size. I find boards in the 170 cm length to be the most versitile and fun for my size. I have a blast when I ride boards shorter and longer but for an all around ride a 170 does it for me. I have a 171 Donek FC I and a 170 Nidecker GS and love them both.

This Oxygen http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10225 looks like a deal. I rode a 168 the other day and it was very nice.

PS - at your weight (at any weight!) I would stay away from the Burton and Raichle bindings.