Note to New Members ×

How is Big White, BC

Holmes

Was there a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent carving. The amount of grooming they did was great as well. Seemed like almost all the runs were groomed on a daily basis. The mountain was not very busy when I was there, so even the narrower cruiser runs were great fun.

If you also ride a soft setup and get some fresh stuff, there's lots of great terrain in the trees as well.

Gabe

Big White is a great hill. You'll find lots of groomed to carve, plus a lot of everything else too. It's a little short on the double-diamond butt-clencher runs if that's your bag but there's a few of them.

Great accomodations there too, lots of ski-in/ski-out. Tip - don't use central reservations, you'll pay too much. Try ownerdirect.com or simply google for Bit White condos. Most of the condos are privately owned and they rent out through services like ownerdirect (takes 10%) or central res (takes 40% I believe).

If you fly in by WestJet, take your boarding pass with you and you can ski/ride for free on the day of your arrival. Since Big White has lighted slopes, you can get quite a bit of riding in depending on your arrival time.

The best carving slope is at the top of the mountain, accessible by t-bar only. Can't remember the name of it but it's wide, groomed and usually empty because it's t-bar only.

tried much of the hill a acouple of years ago - the top part of Kalinas rainbow was very good plus there was a nice steep carvy face running dow into an old double chair - maybe it was called powder gulch? - lots of good wide intermediate blues, with a few steepish places if you seek them out. Also as someone else has said this is the least crowded ski field I have ever been on. All in all a great experience and where I did my first ever hardbooting!

If you want to be away from crowds, try Fernie BC. Liftlines are not existent. In some of the bowls, you actually feel lonely. Big White isn't bad but it's close to Kelowna and there are direct flights into it from most of Canada and W. USA. Weekends can be quite busy.

and avoid like the plague on holidays. The only time I went there was between Xmas and New Year and you couldn't move for people. And it lived up to it's famous nickname of Big White-out the whole three days. And the Gem? Chair was shut down because of the wind.

I should imagine that midweek, with good conditions, Big White would be a kick-a$$ hill. Lots of wide groomers, some surfy roller runs and some fun off piste stuff as well. BC has had a great Jan for snow and there's plenty more forecast for March. Have a great time, I'm jealous.

PS I can recommend the tubing park for apres ... huge fun.